On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
DirecTV Pushing HD Options
Firm Rushes Wide Range of New Offerings to Meet Holidays

By James Hibberd TVWeek.com
With high-definition television set prices in a sudden free fall, DirecTV is scrambling to implement an unprecedented array of technology and programming options in time for the holiday season to attract new HD subscribers.

The News Corp.-controlled satellite provider has been launching satellites to expand its HD offerings and plans to soon roll out a proprietary HD receiver capable of processing next-generation MPEG-4 compression streams, which will ease bandwidth constraints.

"Everything our retailers are telling us is that they expect this season to break all records for [sales of] high definition and flat screens, so it's important to have the local [channels] up and new receivers up and in the major markets prior to the holiday season-which we will do," said Bob Marsocci, VP of communications for DirecTV.

Trouble is, cable operators in most markets currently offer less expensive HD packages with more channels than DirecTV, which charges customers hundreds for an HD receiver-a competitiveness gap DirecTV CEO Chase Carey acknowledged during a recent second-quarter earnings conference call. Then there's satellite competitor EchoStar, which this summer gobbled up the HD Voom channels from Cablevision and cut its HD package prices.

"If you look at the comparative offerings today, cable has the better offering, plain and simple, and that's a dangerous place to be," said Bruce Leichtman, president of Leichtman Research Group. "DBS has been so successful getting the high-end subscriber, if they don't act quickly, they can lose them. What's working in DirecTV's favor is the cable operators have not been as aggressive at exploiting their advantages as they should be."

With subscriber growth slowing during the last quarter, DirecTV has recently dropped the price of its premium HD DVR receiver from $999 to $699 and then to $499. When its as-yet-unnamed MPEG-4 receiver debuts, DirecTV will lose a longstanding requirement that customers must own their equipment and offer a monthly rental option-just like cable operators, executives said.

DirecTV also plans to offer HD versions of local broadcast stations, a key programming service for attracting HD customers, available by the end of the year in its 12 top U.S. markets-New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Dallas, Washington, Atlanta, Detroit, Houston and Tampa, Fla.

But implementation of the new services is coming down to the wire.

The MPEG-4 receivers were supposed to be released this fall, but were pushed back. The receivers will hit the first test market in October and the first 12 markets "by end of the year," said Eric Shanks, DirecTV's senior VP of advanced services and content.

ESPN2, a long-sought channel among DirecTV's core sports-fan contingent, is finally coming online Sept. 9. Another key channel, TNT HD, is still absent from the service.

The rollout also means converting about 500,000 existing HD subscribers to the new receivers, which are expected to cost subscribers between $250 and $275.

Mr. Shanks would not promise a free upgrade, but he said the transition would be "as painless as possible."

To support the addition of local HD signals and new receivers, DirecTV plans to launch marketing campaigns in key cities, though details are not yet available.

"The holidays are the busiest subscriber growth period in any given year, coupled with cable becoming more competitive," Mr. Marsocci said. "We're going to have pedal to the metal when it comes to marketing product and service."

Looking ahead, DirecTV plans to have 1,500 local HD channels and 150 national HD channels by 2007.

$250 to $275 per HD receiver won't cut it when I can lease three HD DVRs from Cable for $7.95 per. I am expecting equally low-cost HD and HD DVR receivers from the DBS folks. Plus, I expecting Verizon to deploy low-cost rentals on their equipment as well.

I think that could be a big mistake if they plan on charging 250 to 275 after I shelled out 900 bucks for an HD Tivo. If they thought the outcry from the Sunday Ticket Super Fan pricing was bad, wait till subscriders get a load of this.

I really am shocked. It flies right in the face of what others have been reporting. Unless the 250-275 is the 2 yr commitment cost?

Lets put this in perspective. How many of you spent at least $2000 for a HD capable TV?
How many of you spent at least $2000 for a sound system to go with your new HD TV?
How many of you spent at least $200 for a new Direct TV receiver?
How many of you spent at least $500 for a new HD Tivo?

I'd say we've spent damn well over "too much". You could as my wife.

There is an old proverb about the straw that broke the camel's back. DirecTV will find out if $250-275 is one straw too many on us long suffering DirecTV users. They tell me to spend that much for their own convenienc, I'm shopping around looking at cable, something I haven't done since 1996. Hopefully cable will make it seemless, and close to free to ditch DirecTV. Plus give me a much cheaper price on my cable modem. Plus give me a much cheaper price on telephones.

That will make my decision of whether to keep D* or E* next May when my 1 year commit for both is up a lot easier.

If they expect us to spend a grand replacing our 4 HD receivers I'll grab my shotgun and blow the DirecTV dish off my roof!

This is EXACTLY why we should all wait to see what DirecTV "OFFICIALLY" announces before buying into all the rumors; now you all feel cheated when you shouldn't.

I for one spent $2200 on a HD projector, $3500 on an A/V head unit, add in 9 channels of speakers at an unimaginable cost and $300 for an HD receiver is chump change.

You guys can't expect everything for free all the time. Thats cables RENTAL deal hook to get you to pay more over time and paying far more than its really worth.

I DO AGREE that long standing good HD customers SHOULD get a free upgrade. This is also more speculation, but that may be the NON-COMMITMENT costs; who knows, let all wait and see.

charper1 said:
This is EXACTLY why we should all wait to see what DirecTV "OFFICIALLY" announces before buying into all the rumors; now you all feel cheated when you shouldn't.

I for one spent $2200 on a HD projector, $3500 on an A/V head unit, add in 9 channels of speakers at an unimaginable cost and $300 for an HD receiver is chump change.

You guys can't expect everything for free all the time. Thats cables RENTAL deal hook to get you to pay more over time and paying far more than its really worth.

I DO AGREE that long standing good HD customers SHOULD get a free upgrade. This is also more speculation, but that may be the NON-COMMITMENT costs; who knows, let all wait and see.

Agreed!! Sometimes too much information is a bad thing...

Some of us are WORKING folk who don't have unlimited money for toys and if they expect me to shell out another $250 on top of the $299 I shelled out in April they are crazy, I will dump D* and just stay with E* in a heartbeat. Or maybe just go OTA as I get ALL networks , and not the HD Lite version.

I am WORKING folk too with 4 kids and a business I sweated, fought and starved to get running. BUT thats NOT the point here. That's why there are rental options and even rent to own retail stores, some people have to pay more in the long run to get the same items, but thats is not mine or the DBS company's fault. That is a user's choice based on their own personal situation. The DBS companies can't continue to roll out endless subsidies for the minority of users while the rest of us pay and pay and pay to foot that bill. Sometimes we have to choose our priorities, if you can't afford a Hummer then you have to choose to pay through the nose to get it or move to another cheaper option for yourself and not berate the maker just because of the Hummer's price point; maybe the Kia or the Durango is best for you, but the bottom line is that there ARE separate options for everyone. Those people that say ANY $$$ for the new HD box is too much should just move on to the cable or Dish rental programs; heck even wait to see if DirecTV has one. These are just my opinions, and I just don't want this country to become another France that endlessly subsidizes so every person gets the same deal regardless of their personal choices in life. This stifles competition and really degrades overall service and selections. In other words, we will all be stuck with crap, but it will be free crap!

You all seem to forget that the MPEG4 upgrade will be optional at first. How many of us really need HD LIL anyway? Most of the rumors indicate that national HD channels won't be in MPEG4 for more than a year, probably not until 2007. I can go on living with my HD Tivo for quite some time. I get every local OTA, so I don't care until they start offering additional National HD channels in MPEG4.

When this was discussed before, the talk was if you want the MPEG4 receiver before your DMA is converted, then it would cost you normal receiver prices. If you wait until D* offers your area HD LIL, then the upgraded dish and receiver would be essentially free. I don't think that has changed. I think the meaning of Mr. Shank's statement was misinterpreted. I take "Painless as possible" to mean minimal cost or extended contract.

vurbano said:
I really am shocked. It flies right in the face of what others have been reporting. Unless the 250-275 is the 2 yr commitment cost?
I am shocked that you are shocked. Practically all of your posts are negative in some way towards D*, why would you have expected anything less?? ;) :D

billbillw said:
You all seem to forget that the MPEG4 upgrade will be optional at first. How many of us really need HD LIL anyway? Most of the rumors indicate that national HD channels won't be in MPEG4 for more than a year, probably not until 2007. I can go on living with my HD Tivo for quite some time. I get every local OTA, so I don't care until they start offering additional National HD channels in MPEG4.

When this was discussed before, the talk was if you want the MPEG4 receiver before your DMA is converted, then it would cost you normal receiver prices. If you wait until D* offers your area HD LIL, then the upgraded dish and receiver would be essentially free. I don't think that has changed. I think the meaning of Mr. Shank's statement was misinterpreted. I take "Painless as possible" to mean minimal cost or extended contract.

GOOD POST BILL! I'm like you in that I get all the OTA HD locals now so getting them off the dish means nothing to me (I get my OTA locals via antenna from 56 miles away). I'm also cognizant that 10's of thousand subscribers do need their HD locals via D* and don't care that they will be taken care of before folks like Bill and I get lots of additional non-OTA new HD stations. My take on switching to MPEG4 and getting the MPEG4 set top boxes is as Bill describes. If you want one before you really need one it will cost you as you really don't need one till your area actually goes MPEG4 and the same with the new dish. It never ceases to amaze me that some writer we've never heard of before can write a article with undocumented statements in it like "it will cost 500,000 subscribers $200-$250 to upgrade" and so many take it as gospel. Did anyone else notice that the article writer did not have that statemment in quotes? I just can't get all excited when I read an article like the one in the opening post written by someone who in my opinion doesn't know anymore than we do and maybe less! D* will inform us of what's really going to happen when they know for sure they can follow through with it and until then I'll just wait patiently.

Tonedeaf said:
I am shocked that you are shocked. Practically all of your posts are negative in some way towards D*, why would you have expected anything less?? ;) :D

I am shocked because all we have heard is "FREE" from credible sources. Longhorn, Robert at VE etc but yet the Vice President of new technologies has this to say?

As far as being negative why not give me something good to say?

HD Picture Quality is CRAP (S. Mota says he wont even watch it anymore http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=82890 ), the HD offerings are slim pickins, far less than Dish, less than Comcast and even less than cable in my area, and equipment prices are still high and have been exhorbanent for many of us in the last year. Their state of the art HDtivo has lasted what a year? And will soon be obsolete. Sounds almost fraudulent IMO. What about Spaceway2? Where the F&*^ is it? ALmost everything GOOD is nothing more than lip service and propoganda to date! :mad:

enoree said:
Some of us are WORKING folk who don't have unlimited money for toys and if they expect me to shell out another $250 on top of the $299 I shelled out in April they are crazy, I will dump D* and just stay with E* in a heartbeat. Or maybe just go OTA as I get ALL networks , and not the HD Lite version.

AMEN brother. I spent $500 2 years ago on an HD reciever and $700 this year on the HDtivo. No way are the bass-tirds getting another dime out of me.

charper1 said:

I've been leaning towards this scenario also....D* will swap your equipment provided you sign the 2 yr commitment. If your commitment has expired and you want to stay month to month then it'll cost ya. The $250-299 is the first number I've seen mentioned so far. As Charper says....wait n see. :cool:

Just an update for you all.

This article was correct but put out of context. Customers can buy it outright as an upgrade for 250-300 without requiring a two year agreement. If the customer accepts the two year agreement it will be free but if you cancel service before the two years you must either return the bo:mad:es) or pay the pro-rated fee for each and every replaced box.

Also a customer can decide to rent the new boxes instead of a replacement which will avoid the two year agreement and allow the customer to upgrade their hardware in the future by just sending the box back and paying the rental price for the new box. Doing this will still allow you to keep your existing HD box and would still allow you to accept a replacement HD box in the future. I also believe that if you rent the box you must agree to rent it for at least 6 months (you can upgrade to a newer HD box as a rental before 6 months but you must keep renting something for at least 6 months).

That's what we all thought and you confirmed it for the panic prone; Thanks Longhorn. Sometime I wonder about these publications ownership, they may well be owned by the same parent company as a cable or affiliate are, thus they would love to serve disinformation.

Hey what is the latest on the Spaceway2 launch? Did the launch facility get everything back in order? I read a rumor that the Space Shuttle issues had some launches on hold, but not sure what truth to place in that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts