No Fun League (NFL) - ridiculous!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

skysurfer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I'm sitting here listening to a morning radio show interview with the NFL head of officiating and wondering how ridiculous it all is! He's going through the types of things the league looks at in determining when to fine a player for inappropriate celebration - no props, can't go to the ground or use the ground as a prop (that got T.O. a fine for his Usain Bolt-type celebration) and of course the no group celebration.

What is the league trying to do with all the restrictions/bans? It's not like the celebration is injurying an opposing player - T.O. eating popcorn is not going to put Donovan McNabb out for the season with a knee injury. Delay of game is not an issue - when the TD is scored the head ref can put down the game ball and start the play clock and if a team is excessively celebrating too much to get the PAT off on time, penalize them for delay of game or too many men on the field if it's the celebration going on while the ball is snapped.

Maybe I"m missing the point the NFL is played by boys, not men, who have had their privates chopped off at an early age playing games where everyone who participates gets a trophy just for particpating (and not trophies for the winning team) or no score is kept because it would be mentally harmful to the losing team to look up on a scoreboard see they lost a game (or look at the standings and see they've gone 0-for the season).

I could care less of the consequences a player potentially faces if he celebrates excessively. I watch football because I love the game at it's core and could care less about all the shenanigans that go along with it.

Elaborate celebrations are considered unsportsmanlike, and are often done by people who take the rule and push it as far as possible. This is why it's spelled out so clearly and seems so anal.

I'm sitting here listening to a morning radio show interview with the NFL head of officiating and wondering how ridiculous it all is! He's going through the types of things the league looks at in determining when to fine a player for inappropriate celebration - no props, can't go to the ground or use the ground as a prop (that got T.O. a fine for his Usain Bolt-type celebration) and of course the no group celebration.

What is the league trying to do with all the restrictions/bans? It's not like the celebration is injurying an opposing player - T.O. eating popcorn is not going to put Donovan McNabb out for the season with a knee injury. Delay of game is not an issue - when the TD is scored the head ref can put down the game ball and start the play clock and if a team is excessively celebrating too much to get the PAT off on time, penalize them for delay of game or too many men on the field if it's the celebration going on while the ball is snapped.

Maybe I"m missing the point the NFL is played by boys, not men, who have had their privates chopped off at an early age playing games where everyone who participates gets a trophy just for particpating (and not trophies for the winning team) or no score is kept because it would be mentally harmful to the losing team to look up on a scoreboard see they lost a game (or look at the standings and see they've gone 0-for the season).

Could not agree with you more.:up:up:up I love what they are doing to Ocho Cinco....gotta buy the UNIs AND, I think IF he did, they will ban him from using it because it is not his BIRTH NAME.....:rolleyes: that is what I heard on the radio down here.

Could not agree with you more.:up:up:up I love what they are doing to Ocho Cinco....gotta buy the UNIs AND, I think IF he did, they will ban him from using it because it is not his BIRTH NAME.....:rolleyes: that is what I heard on the radio down here.

I've heard them not putting "Ocho Cinco" on the jerseys has to do with his contract with NFL and Reebok. If his last name was changed, then all of the current paraphernalia and jerseys printed with "Johnson" on the back would become worthless.

I've heard them not putting "Ocho Cinco" on the jerseys has to do with his contract with NFL and Reebok. If his last name was changed, then all of the current paraphernalia and jerseys printed with "Johnson" on the back would become worthless.

That is correct. That is why he would have to buy a ton of them, but even IF he were to do that....they said the the latest douche-nozzle-in-charge, Roger Goodell, would use that rule of the birth name to prevent him from doing it....because to him, the NFL is not a sport in ANYWAY....it's a business.

That is correct. That is why he would have to buy a ton of them, but even IF he were to do that....they said the the latest douche-nozzle-in-charge, Roger Goodell, would use that rule of the birth name to prevent him from doing it....because to him, the NFL is not a sport in ANYWAY....it's a business.

I think he is a horrible commissioner, we probably disagree on the reasons, but he needs to go before he ruins what Rozelle and Tagliube(sp?) built.

I can't stand TO, but that was pretty harmless compared to other things I have seen. To me the Johnson hall of fame jacket was very disrespectful.

These guys are lucky enough to able to play the game at this level and become rich doing so. Some of us would play for peanuts. So they should go out there and PLAY THE GAME like men and forget the me first showboating. Hand the ball to the ref, high-five your teammates and go back to the huddle or the bench and act like a PRO!

I think he is a horrible commissioner, we probably disagree on the reasons, but he needs to go before he ruins what Rozelle and Tagliube(sp?) built.

I can't stand TO, but that was pretty harmless compared to other things I have seen. To me the Johnson hall of fame jacket was very disrespectful.
I think you are right. TO was harmless and I could care less what Johnson wears on his back.

That's not exactly true... the Eagles have three players not using their birth names that have their "new names" on the back of their jerseys so he could get away with Ocho Cinco on the jersey. Plus Chad has no problem with the courts so if they told him next year (when the jerseys would be depleted) he couldn't use his legal name the legal system would step in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)