No Gold Again...U.S. shocked by Greece 101-95 in World semifinals

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/09/01/usa.greece.ap/index.html

Nothing shocking about it! Just more proof that the NCA (National Convict Association) is more concerned with bling, fathering illegitimate children, conducting drive by shootings, etc., then they are with the game of basketball. A shameful performance by a shameful lot of shameful losers! It's time to face reality and drop the "World Champions" when a team of criminals, thugs, rapists, and derelicts wins the NCA title. The title of "World Champions" is a title deserving of...well, you know, someone who can actually win a World Championship (Greece and Spain for example).

Nice going Team USA! It's looks like you will need to qualify for the priviledge of playing in the Olympics...not that it matters, because teams like Spain and Argentina actually bring with them a little class to the court.

USA Basketball: "It's basketball at it's worst." and "We used to be about winning, but now we're just about whining.":down :down

The loss didn't surprise me at all. Here is an interesting analisys of the game. A long read, but the morale of the story is: "pick-and-roll" is your friend if you're an NCAA team playing against Coach K's Duke team ;).

Picked and rolled
Why did the U.S. lose to Greece? Try three words ...

Posted: Friday September 1, 2006 10:18AM; Updated: Friday September 1, 2006 10:18AM

Greece's Baby Shaq, Sofoklis Schortsanitis, pounds away on the U.S.
Koichi Kamoshida/Getty Images

SAITAMA, Japan -- This one was a surprise. The novelty of the U.S. losing in international competition may be long gone after what happened in Indianapolis and Athens, but this time, the U.S. was expected to at least make it to the final. Greece? No one was too worried about Greece.

They should have been. For those who didn't see the game -- and I'm guessing that's all but the most dedicated (now bleary-eyed) fans stateside -- this was not one of those ugly losses of yore, when the U.S. resorts to ball-hogging and forcing shots, or is done in by arrogance. Rather, the Greek team simply executed better than the Americans, made better adjustments and had a better game plan. Shooting 63 percent didn't hurt either.

Here's how it happened, and what went wrong -- call it being Stockton-ed to death -- for the U.S. in the 101-95 loss:

Early on, the U.S. jumped to a 12-point lead behind its physical defense. Kirk Hinrich and Joe Johnson picked up full court and extended on the Greek guards in the half court, forcing them to run the pick and roll so high that on one possession the screen came five feet beyond the three-point line. The Greeks, as they have all tournament, went to their isolation post-up moves -- imagine a bunch of white Charles Barkleys, pounding, pounding it on the low block -- with mixed success.

On offense, as against Germany, the U.S. feasted on offensive rebounds. For a stretch, no matter which player shot, it seemed the ball ended up in Dwight Howard's large hands, after which he'd pump fake once and go up for that windmill two-hand dunk.

After launching 40 three-pointers against Germany, the U.S. was more patient early, if not more successful (2-10 in the first half). On one nice sequence, LeBron James made an entry pass from the top to Carmelo Anthony on the right block. Anthony posted, took two dribbles and kicked it back out to James, who had room to shoot. Instead of doing so, and taking what might have been an ill-advised three, he re-posted to Anthony, who turned and sunk a 12-footer. Things were clicking.

Where it all fell apart was on the pick and roll.

Before the game, the U.S. coaches watched tape of Greece's guards and decided on a strategy of forcing the ballhandler to change direction up top. So the U.S. began the game pressuring the Greek guards and going over the top on screens.

It worked for a while, but Greece countered by hitting the crease. Time and again, Sofoklis Schortsanitis, the 6-10, 280-pound Greek center, would set a quick screen -- if you could even call it that, as he was almost always moving when he set it -- and then twirled to the basket. And time and again, the U.S. didn't recover in time, as the Greek guards slipped passes to Schortsanitis as he roared to the basket. Once he got the ball, it was over.

Schortsanitis has been compared to Glenn Davis, LSU's bulky forward, but I think it's mainly because they look similar. Because whereas Davis prefers faceup jumpers, Sofoklis has that rare double in a big man -- good hands and good feet. And once he gets it in the lane, he jumps diagonally, so that the defender is forced to make contact to stop him.

"We knew he was good," Chris Bosh said, "but we didn't know he was that good."

The game turned into a pick-and-roll clinic. Not only were the U.S. defenders losing the big guy, but there was no weakside help.

"We began the game trying to show and stay attached and that kind of hurt us," Elton Brand said. "Because we had somewhat of a smaller lineup, they had big guys rolling to the hoop and we had a guard or someone smaller picking them up."

By the time the U.S. made an adjustment at the end of the third quarter, switching on the guards rather than going over the top, Greece was up double digits. Not that the adjustment helped that much.

Greece still got into the lane, only now it was the guards, and especially Theodoros Papaloukas (12 assists), penetrating and then dumping down once the U.S. defense collapsed. When the ball came back out, the Greeks hit their standstill threes. Vasilis Spanoulis, the Houston Rockets' second-round draft pick, in particular knocked down some gutsy step-back three-pointers.

"Their guards did a very good job of stringing us out and making the full rotation difficult," Shane Battier said. Battier continued on for a while, crediting Greece, then caught himself. "Still," he said, "You can't expect to win a world championship allowing a team to shoot 63 percent for the game."

No you can't. Neither can you expect to win shooting 32 percent on threes, as the U.S. did, or 59 percent on free throws.

So give Greece credit, but the U.S. could have -- should have -- won this game. In particular, the Americans, which is to say Krzyzewski, stayed with their pressure defense too long. Maybe this was the price of so much success -- against the weaker teams, the U.S. was able to create steals and get easy transition baskets. Against Greece's guards, the U.S. couldn't get the deflections, so they consistently overextended, then got beat to the basket.

And with Howard stuck on the bench most of the second half -- it's anyone's guess why -- there were no shot-blockers at the rear of the U.S. defense. The U.S. would have benefited from Howard on offense too; when he was in the game, he was single-handedly dominating the glass. In 12 minutes, he pulled down five offensive boards, and seven total, while scoring 10 points on 4-of-6 shooting.

When asked if he knew why he only played three minutes in the second half, Howard just shrugged and said, "I don't know man, I don't know."

Afterward, the U.S. players showed admirable composure. All faced the media, save Chris Paul and Brad Miller (in Miller's case it was because he didn't play), though Wade and James waited an hour -- perhaps wisely -- and thus avoided the crush of Greek reporters who proffered statements rather than questions. For example: "This is a very bad loss for the U.S."

The Greek reporters also hugged and kissed the players (on the cheeks) and cheered loudly and athletically during the game, jumping out of their chairs. It was objective journalism at its finest.

Of the Americans, Anthony, Wade and Brand seemed to take it the hardest, at least outwardly. Jerry Colangelo described the locker room mood as "somber," and no doubt it was. The U.S. will have to come back and play again Saturday afternoon for the bronze medal against Argentina, a 75-74 loser to Spain and an opponent that may well be tougher than Greece.

As Bosh said when asked about the "very bad loss" declaration-query, he said, "It could be worse. We still have to play tomorrow."

Indeed they do. Though, in most respects, the next important game won't come for two more years.

Great read Walter.

Also, man; the HATE in the OP's post. Please, I know all major sports have their bad seeds, as does REAL LIFE, but the group they have right now, after dumping Arenas, is devoid of the types you mention. Also, any person that watches basketball, including the international game, understands why the USA is always at risk in the elimination rounds. No experts, or experienced basketball viewers, picked the USA to do better than bronze, and many didn't pick them that high.

Missing FT killed them vs Greece, they lost it to them, Greece did little to win. Chris Paul did not impress me at all and I am not a big Heinrick (sp?) fan either. . I think having Miller hurt as well, as he didn't play in the latest rounds because he just isn't that good. BUT that being said, there aren't many USA centers to choose from that wanted to commit for the 3 years. I wonder why Jermaine O' Neal didn't commit? Maybe he was still hurting?

1. Team USA is always rushed together in 3 weeks; this time we are at least trying a multi-year commitment scheme, but this was the 1st tourney with that. Most of the FIBA teams are together for years, almost constantly, and we are adapting to play the game THEIR way. This is one thing I always hate about international games; they always want to change the rules to fit their styles. I also dislike the NCAA for doing the same thing. There needs to be ONLY ONE SET of rules for any given sport from the college level and up, regardless of where it is played. That way EVERYONE is playing the SAME GAME!

2. A few FIBA rules need to be tweaked; like being able to remove the ball from the cylinder or in the cylinder; which to me is cheating at any level. They allow camping out around the basket and cherry picking; real men don't play that way. They need DEF 3 second rule and the semi-circle restricted area.
3. Move that weak-ass 3pt line.

4. Stop rewarding FLOP CALLS! Better educated refs.

5. End FULL ZONE coverage, be real men and play man-to-man! AT LEAST change to the partial zone rule the NBA uses.

6. Only 10 minutes per qtr? Come on now!

7. Use the same basketball court size

8. Use the same ball; type, size, weight and construction (panels and materials)

Last edited:
I agree with your assessment regarding the hate on the OP's post. It's not right to stereotype every player as a thug. That's like saying all Italians are in the mafia. What I do agree on is that this is the era of I, me, mine - and selfish play in basketball. Look at the old films of the Jerry West era and you'll see actual strategy and team play. The "stars" nowadays are too concerned with personal performance, money and media attention versus the "team" as the entity. With so much money being paid to today's players, I hate to say it, but this trend will continue.

Did you watch any of the games live? This WAS full team basketball by the USA. Their 3pt & FT % is the only thing that cost them the game, but thats why they play them on the court.

The 3 point shot is a glory shot, much like the dunk. You live or die by the 3 point shot. Apparently they died. Free throws are fundamental and a lost art. Because free throws aren't as exciting as the dunk, etc., no one pays any attention to them. Look at some of the "great" players today and their free throw percentages. The swagger of the U.S. teams has quickly become a joke, while the player's heads are still as big as their wallets.

Sprewell choked me during sex - woman

This stuff is just too easy to come by, and it is why professional basketball is a such a complete joke in the USA. Anyway, it's only a matter of time before Spreewell is wearing a bright orange jumpsuit. If it weren't for the NBA, this guy would have been behind bars years ago.

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/448325p-377376c.html

MILWAUKEE - A woman has accused former Knicks star Latrell Sprewell of choking her while they were having sex, Milwaukee police said yesterday.
Sprewell, who infamously choked his coach when he played for the Golden State Warriors, is scheduled to meet with prosecutors today to be interviewed about the allegation, according to police spokeswoman Anne Schwartz.

The woman told police that she and Sprewell were on his yacht having consensual sex when he began to choke her, police said. The woman said she fought him off and, after returning to shore, Sprewell drove her back to her home.

The woman then admitted herself to the sexual assault treatment center at Aurora Sinai Medical Center, where red marks were observed on the woman's neck, according to cops.

Sprewell, 35, made headlines nationwide for the 1997 choking incident involving then-Golden State coach P.J. Carlesimo. The incident occurred during a practice, when Carlesimo yelled at Sprewell. Sprewell choked Carlesimo before teammates could pull the player away.

The Warriors voided his contract, and the NBA expelled him from the league. The contract was eventually restored and his suspension reduced to the remainder of the season.

What we need is a standing national team[not a team that only gets together a few weeks before each tournament] like we have in soccer if we hope to win a gold medal in the future.

riffjim4069 said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/09/01/usa.greece.ap/index.html

Nothing shocking about it! Just more proof that the NCA (National Convict Association) is more concerned with bling, fathering illegitimate children, conducting drive by shootings, etc., then they are with the game of basketball. A shameful performance by a shameful lot of shameful losers! It's time to face reality and drop the "World Champions" when a team of criminals, thugs, rapists, and derelicts wins the NCA title. The title of "World Champions" is a title deserving of...well, you know, someone who can actually win a World Championship (Greece and Spain for example).

Nice going Team USA! It's looks like you will need to qualify for the priviledge of playing in the Olympics...not that it matters, because teams like Spain and Argentina actually bring with them a little class to the court.

USA Basketball: "It's basketball at it's worst." and "We used to be about winning, but now we're just about whining.":down :down

I agree.

riffjim4069 said:

USA Basketball: "It's basketball at it's worst." and "We used to be about winning,
but now we're just about whining.":down :down

Ok...since NO ONE ELSE WILL SAY IT...I will......That is THE most blatantly stereotypical comment I have ever heard here in Satelliteguys.us website !! Then people wonder why some people bring up race in almost everything.....!
You must have a criminal file on EVERY SINGLE PLAYER in the NBA! Do you work for the FBI? CIA? DEA? Hell, since you mentioned "fathering illegitimate children"...do you work for the complaint department for Child Services in every state that has an NBA team? YES, there are PLENTY of bad apples in EVERY sport(whether out in the open or not know by others), but to state what you did is so ignorant of ANY knowledge of basketball or the world game, that is is hard to know where to start. First, let's deal with your comment. Of course, we all know that about 70% of the NBA is black...and you just called EVERY single player either a rapist, or a drive by shooter or a guy that has a bunch of kids from a bunch of women. Are you calling Dwayne Wade a thug? A rapist? He is THE CLASS of the NBA and NOBODY or very few conducts himself with the proper image for those that look up to athletes in ANY SPORT. And what about LeBron James? And Carmelo Anthony? I mean come on. Yeah you can be pisted because they lost, but don't make a moronic, stereotypical comment(almost bordering on racist) like that....but then again, you have every right to be a borderline racist. How come you didn't mention baseball??? ALOT more non-black, non-latino players than most leagues AND we invented that too?? Where was your criticism when the USA with a STACKED team didn't even make the final 4 of the tournament!!
Secondly, the game is way beyond international now. Universities are filled with foreign players in just about every single roster, not to mention the clinics that BOTH college and NBA coaches have over seas on a MONTHLY basis. Then you have tournaments where those players from other countries are together FOR MONTHS. The ONLY thing that made a smidgen of sense is that yes, there is no legitmate 'world champion' in ANY sport unless team from other countries can be involved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts