NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED

Status
Please reply by conversation.
that really sucks. I know of folks I've spoken with before about FTA and then they say "how do you get the PPV's" and crap and they assume I steal just because I have multiple dishes

that really pisses me off

I've heard the "how do you get the ppvs" before too. It makes me want to scream.

I'll be glad when the swap is finished and I can get some more gear on the cheap.

I've heard the "how do you get the ppvs" before too. It makes me want to scream.

I'll be glad when the swap is finished and I can get some more gear on the cheap.

Well, I'd just have to say when I want a PPV, I just go to the proper channel at the proper time, press select on my remote, and answer YES to each question that comes next.

Oh, he meant FREE PPV's, right?

Sorry. I mis-understood. :)

I can definitely understand you being frustrated. Just know that YOU did the right thing doing what you did in the first place. But like previous posters have pointed out, the bad thing for the kids is it's only a matter of time before their "free" tv disappears, then they won't have anything and will wish you were back.
They may not listen to you, but you could always try explaining that point to them.

Keep up the good work though!

Out of curiosity, what IS the "law" in Mexico??? Just because it's against the law in the US doesn't mean it is in Mexico. I guess EVERYTHING is against the law in Canada (from listening to the complaints :) ), but I've never heard any comments about what is legal in Mexico.

No idea what the law is in MX, but I'd guess that since a US company is getting hosed versus a MX one - probably not high on the priority list.

Probably went even lower considering the trade goods tariff pissing contest that is going on too.

Out of curiosity, what IS the "law" in Mexico??? Just because it's against the law in the US doesn't mean it is in Mexico. I guess EVERYTHING is against the law in Canada (from listening to the complaints :) ), but I've never heard any comments about what is legal in Mexico.

Dish can't legally sell service in Mexico

I've seen Sky Mexico on Lyngsat, but, I don't know if they have the same connection to Dish as Canada's Bell does. The website is all in Spanish and I cannot read or speak Spanish so, hard to get any info that I can understand.

Never could figure out why those SKY dished were nearly pointed into the ground either.
Sky comes off a satellite located at 58W, and if you're on the west coach of North America, that's a low elevation target, and using an off-set dish, it's going to look like it's pointing to the ground.

Being in Northern California, I once tried helping someone fix a Sky dish after the "professional" installer left. After a while, I switched to the principle of teach-a-man-to-fish, showed him how to use a satellite finder and allowed him to try and find a low enough valley between the neighboring roofs. And he did.

Was in Hutelco Oxaoca Mexico a few weeks ago (its by the Guatelmalan border). The Sky dishes there were pointed almost like ours up here, but the C-bands were like birdbaths .....

Update

Got a call this morning - apparently the box has been down for nearly 2 weeks (no eye patch updates for Coolsats anymore?) and they asked if I would put it back the way it was.

I have the loader and the factory BIN file, so that isn't a problem. The dude who swapped out my hardware already dropped off the dish of mine he took down - so I told them one last shot.

Maybe a lesson learned up there?

Apparently, the kids have really been ragging on them over this whole mess.:D

Yea, maybe a lesson learned.
Congratulations on returning to the scene of the crime.
Sounds like the kids got a better education on the matter than I expected. - :up

Yea, maybe a lesson learned.
Congratulations on returning to the scene of the crime.
Sounds like the kids got a better education on the matter than I expected. - :up

Maybe, we will see.

It looks like we have a new "junior FTA sat guy" in training. His name is Carlos (he is 11) and wanted to learn about sat stuff. He did most of the install today (my mast and coax was already there) and he picked up the concept of using the Birdog and aiming parameters very quickly! Got pretty stoked when he got his first "sat found" indication.

We decided to lock in on 123 for awhile since the kids are really working on their english right now.

IF everything stays legit for a few weeks, think I'll drag another fixed dish up there to get them more spanish programming as well as 123.

(PS: dude left the DN dish he installed - now lives in my parts pile ;))

SGiT:

Congrats to Carlos! - :up
Never too young to be a SatGuy in Training!
Give him our best.

More Spanish, huh? Yea, I'm sure that's appropriate.
I was wondering how well PBS on 125° would suit them? :D

As for the DN dish, maybe a little NASA from 119° circular, or is that too much temptation?
Might find out ya got the next Mexican astronaut in training, too! :cool:
... on second thought, best to not tempt fate.

Don't know how well Whitesprings @ 129° gets down into Mexico, but you're pretty close to the border.
Should hang right off the 123° dish.
Some of those old cartoons they show are timeless.
Might as well give 'em the full American experience. :rolleyes:

Congrats to Carlos! - :up
Never too young to be a SatGuy in Training!
Give him our best.

More Spanish, huh? Yea, I'm sure that's appropriate.
I was wondering how well PBS on 125° would suit them? :D

As for the DN dish, maybe a little NASA from 119° circular, or is that too much temptation?
Might find out ya got the next Mexican astronaut in training, too! :cool:
... on second thought, best to not tempt fate.

Don't know how well Whitesprings @ 129° gets down into Mexico, but you're pretty close to the border.
Should hang right off the 123° dish.
Some of those old cartoons they show are timeless.
Might as well give 'em the full American experience. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the chuckle! No the DN dish will stay for repair parts - not gonna even think about putting anything circular up there.

Funny, I've got 3 orphanages going now and this is the only one I've had issues with - and Carlos is the only kid who expressed an interest to learn.

Can't wait for DN to get their encryption stuff together so I can get more cheap boxes :D - have 2 other places on the list to do.

Not really any need to change the FW, just delete all the Echo stuff and set it up for FTA.......THEN open the box and remove the db9, or at least cut the traces so it cant be (easily) reloaded with functioning pirateware. It will be a moot point in the near future, or so they say. Nagrastar is 0 for 2, so I aint holdin my breath.
He prolly thought he was 'helping' by getting the wee ones CTN, Sprout and the like, but should have at least consulted the one providing the equipment.
I dont know if it is illegal to pirate in Mexico. If it is not illegal, can it be called pirating? I know there was some sanctuary from Uncle Charlie (FCC) across the border for Pirate broadcasts back it the day, pre DMCA, (pre alot of stuff lol) but who knows now.
It may not be an issue, legally that is, not morally. Not really a good ethics model for the children to say the least. Back it the 70's and early 80's there was a 2 ghz tv service that broadcast off One Shell Plaza in downtown Houston, that broadcast Encore, and Ten after 10. It was a sub service. I got the lil wok/70mhz downconverter/IF and varactor tuning PS, in some horse tradin' and put it up on my tower at about 60' and got signal. I called the people and the lady asked where I lived, I told her and she asked is that further away than such and such? I said yes by about 30 mi. She said that was not their service area, and that's all that mattered. I asked I wont get in trouble, she said no, because we cant give you service. May be something similar for Mexico.
I do see Dish Mexico, on some of the sat listings (72W maybe?), but I suspect it is apples and oranges. The US and Canada have some interesting 'sleeping arrangements', hence the extra measures for these borders.
Mike, I dont know what you are setting them up for programming, but there are some good childrens programming on the SOAC channels in TBN's mux, C and Ku.
I know you have them setup just Ku (for NOW!) but the C band Baby First downlink on 121W, Gal23 is very good too. My 5-6 yo grands love both those channels, as well as PBS Kids. A 6 footer on the roof should do just fine.............lol
Good for you for your efforts, There is a youth home about 15 mi from here, and I think I will ask if they would be interested in a similar setup. I saw some NIB "unsupported" DVBs for ~25 bucks ea in bulk on Fleabay. I expect that trend to continue.

THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH THE BEST OF INTENTIONS

I am having that carved on my black marble headstone (it's on lay-a-way).

More seriously, I'm very impressed with having read that 'Carlos', whom is 11 yrs. of age, has grasped some of the basic concepts in regards to FTA satellite.

I'm new--very new--to this scene (this is my first post in any site concerning FTA, or satellite, for that matter). I haven't a clue, and 'Carlos' has me at a great disadvantage, given that I'm 41 yrs. of age.

I've grown bored of building PC workstations and shopping *cough* at *cough-cough* the *cough* pirate *cough* bay.

Seeing that you obviously know what you're doing, can you give at least point me to some information on how to set-up and acquire FTA. (I'm particularly interested in internet access and any other communications protocols I can use. [My son lives with his mother, whom travels often, and I'll probably be traveling off the beaten path by end of this year. Having had to travel to Anchorage on and off to see my son for a couple of years has prompted me to put time and effort to learning this skill set.])

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. (I have virtually a very large collection of top-of-the-line software I'd be willing to share for pertinent, exhaustive HOWTO info.)

Maybe, we will see.

It looks like we have a new "junior FTA sat guy" in training. His name is Carlos (he is 11) and wanted to learn about sat stuff. He did most of the install today (my mast and coax was already there) and he picked up the concept of using the Birdog and aiming parameters very quickly! Got pretty stoked when he got his first "sat found" indication.

We decided to lock in on 123 for awhile since the kids are really working on their english right now.

IF everything stays legit for a few weeks, think I'll drag another fixed dish up there to get them more spanish programming as well as 123.

(PS: dude left the DN dish he installed - now lives in my parts pile ;))

I am having that carved on my black marble headstone (it's on lay-a-way).

More seriously, I'm very impressed with having read that 'Carlos', whom is 11 yrs. of age, has grasped some of the basic concepts in regards to FTA satellite.

I'm new--very new--to this scene (this is my first post in any site concerning FTA, or satellite, for that matter). I haven't a clue, and 'Carlos' has me at a great disadvantage, given that I'm 41 yrs. of age.

I've grown bored of building PC workstations and shopping *cough* at *cough-cough* the *cough* pirate *cough* bay.

Seeing that you obviously know what you're doing, can you give at least point me to some information on how to set-up and acquire FTA. (I'm particularly interested in internet access and any other communications protocols I can use. [My son lives with his mother, whom travels often, and I'll probably be traveling off the beaten path by end of this year. Having had to travel to Anchorage on and off to see my son for a couple of years has prompted me to put time and effort to learning this skill set.])

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. (I have virtually a very large collection of top-of-the-line software I'd be willing to share for pertinent, exhaustive HOWTO info.)

The best place for you to begin, in my opinion, is to read deep into the archives on this forum. Most (if not all) of the accumulated SAT wisdom lives here.

You will also find the folks here very willing to help as you get deeper into this hobby - there are no dumb questions here (except maybe for some of mine ;)).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)