No HD Locals = Free Premium Chans

ka1z0ku

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Chucktown,SC
Hey all, I've been an avid reader of this forum, this is my first time posting though. I just thought I'd include a little story of my recent tirade against E*. I had been calling them for 2 days in a row trying to raise a stink about the fact that I subscribe to an all-HD package (got grandfathered in to Turbo Platinum HD, with no price change, no complaint about that) but my local channels are still in SD.

Now, I fully realize that Champaign/Urbana/Decatur, IL is not exactly a high-priority area, but the local cable co. carries these locals in HD and even D* has them on their soon-to-be-added list. E* says they aren't going to carry them any time soon, and that they can't switch me to a different area's HD locals (one rep said it was possible but it was not authorized... go figure).

So the final time I called was last night, I got straight to the point that if they weren't going to satisfactorialy meet my demand for HD locals then they had better give me something to keep me as a customer, since I could easily switch to D* and have what I want within a couple weeks (yes, a partial bluff on my part). So they ended up giving me free HBO and Starz for 3 months (which I accepted knowing full well that they had just added quite a few HDs for these chans) and 12 months of Cinemax for a penny. The only downside is that I agreed to a 24month contract for the free chans, but I still had about 18 months on my current contract, so its nothing that concerns me too much.

Well, I've rambled on entirely too much. I guess the moral of the story is, if you are stuck waiting for HD locals like I am, go ahead and get some free HD premiums to make the wait a little easier.

I do not want to burst your bubble but Dish is offering the HBO and Starz deal right now. You did not have to complain about you HD locals to get that deal. The catch is the 24 month commitment, although you said that you did not mind. I have not taken them up on that deal yet. I do not know if I want to lock in for another 24 months rifght now.

Thats great that you got 3 months of hbo and starz for complaining. and a 24 month contract. BUT thats just too funny. Because that offer is available to EVERYONE willing to sign a 24 month contract.

The good news is you're satisfied now.

The bad news is that they really didn't give you anything that they weren't offering everybody. The Cinemax for a penny promo has been around and available since around christmas and the three months promo with a new commitment has been available to existing customers for several weeks now.

Well come on, I'm pretty new to this. I had only heard of the penny Cinemax before I called, so I thought getting 3 packages wasn't bad... If I had held out for more, any idea what they might have offered me? Besides "Good luck with your new satellite provider", haha.

Well come on, I'm pretty new to this. I had only heard of the penny Cinemax before I called, so I thought getting 3 packages wasn't bad... If I had held out for more, any idea what they might have offered me? Besides "Good luck with your new satellite provider", haha.
Can you get your locals in HD over OTA?

too funny... Since E* doesnt have Tulsa locals in HD, maybe they will give me that deal also!! LOL!!

Seriously though, read up on "moving", might make you happy....

Can you get your locals in HD over OTA?

Not currently, the OTA antenna that came with our house is in terrible shape. Last time I had it hooked up, it picked up on one PBS station (1HD + 3SD multicast) and 2 other stations, both in snowy and unwatchable SD. I suspect that my location (15 to 40 miles from most broadcasters) has something to do with it, but my wife won't let me spend the $400 to have the nearest antenna installers come and put a new one up for fear that it wouldn't get results.

Not currently, the OTA antenna that came with our house is in terrible shape. Last time I had it hooked up, it picked up on one PBS station (1HD + 3SD multicast) and 2 other stations, both in snowy and unwatchable SD. I suspect that my location (15 to 40 miles from most broadcasters) has something to do with it, but my wife won't let me spend the $400 to have the nearest antenna installers come and put a new one up for fear that it wouldn't get results.
Snowy? Those aren't digital HD channels.

Sounds like the antenna is just not pointed in the right direction. I am 36 miles from my towers and I use a $25 antenna from Radio Shack in my attic.

Have you been to TV Fool - Home and used the tool to see what you need to do? It's pretty easy. I helped my bro-in-law fix his antenna just over online chat and he pulls in stations from 80 miles away.

Snowy? Those aren't digital HD channels.

Sounds like the antenna is just not pointed in the right direction. I am 36 miles from my towers and I use a $25 antenna from Radio Shack in my attic.

Have you been to TV Fool - Home and used the tool to see what you need to do? It's pretty easy. I helped my bro-in-law fix his antenna just over online chat and he pulls in stations from 80 miles away.

Yes, I realize that those channels were not digital. And I was not aware of that website until now, it does look to be quite helpful, thanks for the link. :up

EDIT: Apparently all but 1 of the digital channels I want are in the UHF range and come from a predominately northern direction. The chart says I need a "medium gain antenna on the second floor or attic" to pick up these channels. Is this going to be a glorified set of rabbit ears or something else entirely? This is really a subject I'm completely unfamiliar with. A link to a suitable antenna would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
when Iget people that whine and complain all the time I tend to do as little as I can as far as discounts and things for free, but if the person is nice even though the have the right to be mad, I tend to do a lot more for these people w/out being asked..

Ka1z0ku, I'm in the same DMA (Champaign/Decatur/Springfield). I mounted a DB-8 antenna from antennasdirect.com outside my house and can pick up WCIA (CBS), WICD (ABC), WAND (NBC), WBUI (CW), and WAND (NBC). I'm 60 miles from the furthest transmitter and occaisionally lose signal on that one but, for the most part, it is great. PQ on HD programming is absolutely phenomenal.

I got a great deal on the antenna by ordering an open-box special. It had previously been assembled but that had no effect on performance or appearance (at least from 20 feet below).

I feel your pain, Ka1z0ku. I live in central Illinois too, about 25 miles west of Springfield in Jacksonville.

DirecTV did just announce that they will have the Springfield/Champaign/Decatur DMA locals in HD in September, so I'm optimistic that Dish will be able to follow sometime after. They're going to have to, or people are just going to switch to D* around here.

In the meantime, it sounds to me like you just need a better OTA HD antenna. I'd also recommend an AntennasDirect antenna. I'm using the somewhat smaller DB-4 (compared to the DB-8). I also have a ChannelMaster 7777 pre-amp installed too. I'm very pleased with that combo. My DB-4 is simply sitting in a second-story attic window, pointed east towards all of the towers I could hope to receive. You can order the antennas directly from AntennasDirect, though I bought mine from Amazon because it was a little cheaper. The amp came from ChannelMaster directly because that was the only place I could find it.

I get WRSP-HD (FOX) & WICS-HD (ABC) at near 100% signal strength all the time. Those towers are about 30 miles away.

WAND-HD (NBC), from Decatur, I get at around 75-90%, depending on the weather. Anything above 68% is perfect on my 722, so it''s still totally reliable. That tower is about 60 miles away.

At night or when it's cloudy and calm, I can get WCIA-HD (CBS) from either their super-lower power rim-shot repeater out of Springfield (with WCFN) , or from their real tower in Champaign, that's about 90 miles away.

A few times, like right after a storm front has passed through, the reception has been absurdly-amazing. I've managed to pull in HD stations from Peoria, Bloomington, the Quad Cities, and even St. Louis. Those are all 100+ miles away from me. Granted, it's an atmospheric fluke, but they're out there.

Those are the four major networks where I live, so I'm content with that for the time being.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Ka1z0ku, I'm in the same DMA (Champaign/Decatur/Springfield). I mounted a DB-8 antenna from antennasdirect.com outside my house and can pick up WCIA (CBS), WICD (ABC), WAND (NBC), WBUI (CW), and WAND (NBC). I'm 60 miles from the furthest transmitter and occaisionally lose signal on that one but, for the most part, it is great. PQ on HD programming is absolutely phenomenal.

I got a great deal on the antenna by ordering an open-box special. It had previously been assembled but that had no effect on performance or appearance (at least from 20 feet below).

Definitely seems powerful enough to do the job, but I would really like to try something with an easier (in the attic rather than on the roof) install, I don't really have the skills or tools needed for such an attempt.

You can put one of those in the attic as well. Performance won't be quite as good, but it'll still be decent. Or look at the Channel Master 4228 - also a great antenna.

I would really like to try something with an easier (in the attic rather than on the roof) install, I don't really have the skills or tools needed for such an attempt.

I understand completely. Before you do that, however, you should take the following into account (from Antennas Direct | HDTV Antenna Installation):

Indoor installations are often problematic for two reasons. First, they are lower than a roof mounted installation. Second, the digital signal is weakened by every wall the signal must pass through. This is especially concerning as UHF signals are more sensitive to attenuation from building materials than lower band VHF signals.

Next, outdoor is better than indoor. Mounting your antenna in the attic may get it high, but the attic's insulation will cut your signal by almost 50%. (Emphasis added.)

I won't disagree that outside is best, but an attic installation really can work. I'm proof. As I mentioned, my DB-4 is simply sitting in a window in my attic. Not even on a pole, just its base sitting on the sill and the top resting against the glass. Easiest install ever. It did take me a couple of hours worth of tinkering to find the right spot though, as many locations in my attic didn't work at all. I had actually just set the antenna down in the window to take a break, and lo-and-behold it just worked beautifully there. In the attic, you are at the mercy of the roofing materials and insulation of your home, so it will vary from house-to-house.

I'm sure the reception would be even better (and I'd maybe be able to pull in that WCIA signal consistently) if it were mounted on my roof. But as it is, there's was no extra install cost (whether paying an installer or an emergency room visit from me falling off the roof :eek: ), and no worries about wind, rain/ice, or lightning damage.

I live 60 miles from Washington D.C. and further from Baltimore MD.
My OTA antenna into the ViP 622 gets me all major D.C. HD locals and two or three from Baltimore.

(After my roof antenna installer left, I got more Baltimore than D.C. I checked compass directions on a map, used a compass, and reaimed the antenna toward the D.C. stations to get the stations I'm used to.) I now get the D.C. HD locals from Dish as well, so I can watch/record up to 3 channels at once.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)