Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SatelliteGuys.US has just learned that HGTV HD will NOT be launching today on Dish Network as was previously hinted to.

We have just received the following statement from Echostar spokesman Mark Cicero.

"We are not launching HGTV HD, and have no announcements to make as to the specific date. We are working to launch it, but it’s certainly not today. Thanks."

IM calling it as I see it... for being the "leader in HD" Fios is kicking dish's ass in being the leader of anything... For being the leader and finally delivering the promase of hd... They surely are taking there sweet ass time adding new hd content. CES was in january... added all this new content... now its april, almost may.... Its time to add some more...

No contnet avabile.. bull!!!

HGTVHD Launched today..
MHD.. Lauched months ago
StarzHD Launched Years ago

Just to name a few.. :)

WTF?

Dish has an agreement for this channel.

Scripps confirmed in releases that there channel would be carried by Echostar.

And then echostar lets them down.

I bet scripps is not happy about this :(

My first reaction is %^&*&&%$###$%^!!!!!

But you know what... How typical of E*....

Most people are 'believing starz, hgtv, etc will be launched....

But now... I will believe it all when I see it....

I dont trust dish as far as I can frisbee their dish off my roof....

I have added the graphic that came from Scripps very own PR today to my avatar :D

I thought'd I'd do some advocating for the folks that want this, even though it really doesn't affect me right now.

But look at the chart I made using the numbers Hookie supplies - Dish HD Channels, Resolutions, & Bitrates

Look at the 13 megs of null packets on TP19 at 61.5 & 129. What could they be holding/testing that waste for? this delay to the launch of HGTV certainly can't be anything technical, I can only point to stupidity...

Here's the HGTV-HD program guide, looks like the first program is at 1PM ESt, so dish still has 1 hr to deliver hehe.

Folks have kidded before about what's actually on a channel when no one can watch it ;) (except Sunflower Broadband in Lawrence, KS suposeddly has it on)

Last edited:
BFG said:
WTF?

Dish has an agreement for this channel.

Scripps confirmed in releases that there channel would be carried by Echostar.

And then echostar lets them down.

I bet scripps is not happy about this :(

I have FIOS and they had an agreement signed months to carry this channel as well but it's not on my system yet either. I wish when these agreements are signed that they launch on day it debuts instead of waiting for a while.

As I have said before I will not believe that Dish Network is carrying this channel until I hear an official announcement. The only thing that everyone is going on is the "unofficial" announcement on that Charlie Chat. A lof of what is said on the Charlie Chat's do not come through, so why should this be different.

Does anyone know if Dish actually has a deal for HGTV and Food Network HD, and they are just delaying the launch ? Or is there actually no deal, and that is what is holding up the launch.

Heres news story for today from broadcast & cable - looking at it, Scripps will be putting out a press realease any time regarding carriage deals

High-Def Isn't Just for Guys
HGTV wants to prove HD is for women, too
By Joel Brown -- Broadcasting & Cable, 4/10/2006

The sales staff at Best Buy waits for the big games to bring in the big crowds of men; sporting events look great in high-definition. Now, HGTV is hoping high-def pictures of a renovated kitchen or a newly landscaped yard hold the same kind of allure for women.

This week at the NCTA show, Scripps Networks launches HGTV-HD and will announce both cable and satellite distribution deals. Scripps' Food Network-HD is set to launch in June.

“All of our content is very, very suited to high-def,” says Judy Girard, HGTV president, promising to “bring a female audience to the technology.”

About 70% of HGTV's audience is female, Girard says. High-def, meanwhile, has a case of male-pattern viewing.

“I think men are early adopters of almost any technology on almost any platform that has ever been introduced, and HD is no different,” Girard says. “Usually, technology is driven by sports and action movies and so forth, but females will come in. I think we have good female appeal, and obviously that appeals to the operators.”

Kagan Research associate analyst Patrick Johnson agrees. “Sports and movies in particular tend to be big draws” for HD service, he says, but HGTV and Food Network could find they have an HD audience.

“In general, everything I see is geared toward men. It's consumer electronics, and the bigger the better,” says Johnson. “However, I've seen surveys that say women are playing a bigger role in the decision-making and the purchasing of HD sets. It's because it goes to the aesthetics of the interior of the home and they're flat panels and they're kind of cool looking.”

In other words, you could see as many or more women buying HD sets to improve their décor than sitting down and watching HGTV-HD shows about … improving their décor.

Johnson says there are currently about 5.5 million HD subscribers in the U.S. between cable and satellite services, a number that is expected to nearly double this year alone. Girard won't specify how many homes HGTV-HD will reach initially, and with more deals expected after the launch, she says, the real distribution picture won't be clear until the end of the year. Many cable systems just don't have the room to add a lot of bandwidth-eating HD channels, but they will in time.

Girard is betting that HD offers particular benefits for the HGTV viewer. “It's anything you want to see in more detail, clarity and depth,” she says. “There aren't many shows on our network that won't pop in high-def. It's a richer experience.”

Adds Sarah Cronan, HGTV senior VP, “When you talk about painting, for instance, you do see the richness of the color. When you go into landscape shows, you can see the pattern and texture of the plants.”

HGTV-HD will have a schedule that's distinct from HGTV's standard channel. Although many series will mirror their time slots on the standard channel, different episodes will be shown in HD.

“Some of the feedback that we got from operators was that they want these [HD] channels to be different,” Girard says, “so that people will both purchase and watch them and think of them as a new offering, not an upgraded technical offering of an existing service.”

Programs from Scripps' other networks, DIY and Fine Living, will appear on HGTV-HD, but there are no immediate HD plans for those two networks.

Scripps has been producing shows in HD for more than two years, piling up 750 hours of programming. While Scripps had to replace much of its equipment for the 1080-line interlace HD standard, 90% of its programming is produced by outside firms. Initial decisions about which shows were shot in HD were sometimes driven by which producers were HD-capable, Girard says.

Fittingly, production changes required for HD production include some very décor-centric issues, says Duke Hartman, COO of High Noon Entertainment, which produces many shows for Scripps.

“Lighting, which is always crucial, becomes even more important, [as does] attention to detail about what's in the background on the set,” Hartman says. “Standard-definition is pretty forgiving about things like scuff marks on the set.”

This sucks. I was hoping to watch HGTV-HD when I got home tonight. Hopefully we will have in in the next couple of days. This, along with FOODHD, is a channel my wife has been waiting for.

Hey JH1949 thanks! That is a cool site with some interesting news. I told my wife that the HGTV HD channel would be up when she gets home. I hope she forgets or she will once again tell me why women are getting the shaft on Dish.

There is going to be a lot of angry wives.

Does anyone know ifthe launch has just been delayed or are we not getting the channel completely ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts