No History Channel on Bronze HD?

Offroad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
I've been thinking of upgrading my Dish 811 HD receiver / AT60 / OLD HD pack to either a 211 or 622 box and the Bronze HD offering.

In looking at the channel list for Bronze level HD I don't see the "History Channel" listed only the "History Channel International" Can someone confirm this? I watch this one frequently. It looks like you have to go to the Platinum package to get it?

This would be a show stopper for me.

Thanks for any advice.

I get History Channel with the gold package, so it isn't a platinum only thing.

When researching my choices, I noticed that Dish did not list all the channels you actually get in the HD package listings.

I think the way it *actually* works is that if you get the bronze package, you get everything in America's top 60. If you get silver, you get the 120 package. If you get gold, you get the 180 package.

From what I see on their website, you get the History Channel on every package (including bronze and the top 60 package).

However, according to Dish Network's website, you only get History International if you go with the following packages:

AMERICA'S EVERYTHING PAK
AMERICA'S TOP 180
DISHHD GOLD
DISHHD PLATINUM

But... the bronze package clearly states that you do get History International with the bronze package.

I think they made a mistake on their HD Bronze channel decription page, and meant to say that you get the History Channel, not the History International Channel, with the bronze package.

It definitely wouldn't be the first incorrect thing I've seen on that page.

Can anyone that has bronze verify this?

Robert

I had the Bronze before I upgraded my programing and you get The History Channel but not History Channel International.

Offroad said:
In looking at the channel list for Bronze level HD I don't see the "History Channel" listed only the "History Channel International"

This is an error in the Programming Listing for the Bronze package. The actual situation is the reverse of what is stated - that is, the History Channel is part of the Bronze package, but the History Channel International is not.

Thanks for the responses, I'm glad to know the History Channel is in the Bronze HD package.

I've been reading a bit from other threads on an 811 to 622 upgrade, looks like I can give Dish $199 and get a $10 for 10 Month Service credit and some are also saying a $25 refund if I send back the 811. This would get my ultimate cost down to $74. They are offering this until sometime in September??

I guess I'd also need a new roof Dish (Dish 1000) to replace my Dish 500, will I get this installed for free? How long am I commited to Dish Programming if I take the above promotion?

Also, If I go the 622 route do I pay any monthly or other fees to use the DVR functions it provides?

I currently get all my locals (SD/HD) from an attic antenna and don't pay Dish for them, will the 622 provide them in the Guide?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You will only get OTA programming listings if you pay for your local channels. That is a sore point for me, but oh well.

Offroad said:
I've been reading a bit from other threads on an 811 to 622 upgrade, looks like I can give Dish $199 and get a $10 for 10 Month Service credit

Correct.

and some are also saying a $25 refund if I send back the 811.

I can't verify that, but I have heard it.

I guess I'd also need a new roof Dish (Dish 1000) to replace my Dish 500

Maybe. Some DMAs (like mine in Wash DC) are set up for keeping the Dish 500 and coupling a second Dish 300 at 61.5. It all depends on where your LIL HD channels are coming from and/or where you are with respect to the footprint of the 129 satellite.

will I get this installed for free?

Yes.

How long am I commited to Dish Programming if I take the above promotion?

18 months.

Also, If I go the 622 route do I pay any monthly or other fees to use the DVR functions it provides?

Sadly, yes. There is always a catch, right?! The DVR fee is $6 per month, AND the lease fee for the 622 is another $6/month. If you want warranty coverage (DHPP), that's another $6 a month. Get the pattern?

I currently get all my locals (SD/HD) from an attic antenna and don't pay Dish for them, will the 622 provide them in the Guide?

Apparantly not, according to multiple other posts. This is a big shame, and puts E* at a competitive disadvange with D*, which does provide full guide/info coverage for all local channels, both NTSC and ATSC.

noremac said:
Sadly, yes. There is always a catch, right?! The DVR fee is $6 per month, AND the lease fee for the 622 is another $6/month. If you want warranty coverage (DHPP), that's another $6 a month. Get the pattern?

Thanks for the response, everything sounded great until the DVR and lease fees.
That gets the Bronze package up to $62 per month even without warranty coverage!

I guess I assumed that after paying $199 for the 622 I'd "own" it. I believe when I paid $200 for the 811 I owned it, at least I thought I did. I'm not paying any lease fees anyway.

I guess I could save the $6 DVR fee and just get the 211 instead of the 622 but I was sort of excited to get an HD DVR for an end cost of $74-100 and only raise my monthly fees by about $15 for the Bronze package. (currently have AT60 + OLD HD w/o locals)

I guess I'd be leasing the 211 and still have to pay the $6 for that or would I own it after upgrading? There had been a deal for around $100 for a 811 to 211 upgrade and would I still get the $10 for 10 months on it?

Does the 211 have a RF remote? I use the 811's in another room with another TV so I wouldn't want to lose that.

I'd really just like a low cost package with these channel's:

ESPN HD
ESPN 2 HD
NFL Network HD
Discovery HD

History Channel
Learning Channel
A&E
TBS
TNT

These coupled with my OTA SD and HD's would be just fine with me. I'd never miss anything not on the list above. I'd gladly pay $19.99 for these and they could keep the rest.

I have probably over half of AT60 not even showing in my favorites list now anyway.

You can, of course, purchase the 622 outright for about $500. When you do this, you don't have to pay the $6 lease fee, nor are you obliged to pay the $20 upcharge for a metallic HD package. But you will have to take care of any Dish antenna upgrades on your own.

noremac said:
You can, of course, purchase the 622 outright for about $500. When you do this, you don't have to pay the $6 lease fee, nor are you obliged to pay the $20 upcharge for a metallic HD package. But you will have to take care of any Dish antenna upgrades on your own.

Thanks for the info, but spending $500 to avoid the lease fees isn't going to happen. I guess my choices are:

1. Keep what I have now. I'm only paying about $35 per month so thats good but will Dish eventually force me from my $10 HD deal? I'd like to get ESPN2 HD however. The DVR would be nice during NFL season as well, my DVD recorder doesn't look all that great in 3hr mode.

2. Upgrade to either the 622 or 211 and a Bronze HD pack. Looks like the 622 would ultimately cost me $74-100 but then my monthly fee's go up from $35 to around $60 per month. And I won't have locals in my guide unless I want to pay Dish for them! :(

Not sure what upgrading to the 211 would cost, I'm assuming I'd still have the $6 lease fee just not the $6 DVR fee. ??? on upfront fees and I guess $56 per month.

3. Take a good look at DirectTV offerings. Not sure whats available for a new HD customer. Can you get just an HD pack from them and skip the regular SD costs?

Any advice on these is appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jeff_R said:
If the 622 is the only receiver on your account, there shouldn't be any lease fee. Just the DVR fee.

I would really like to confirm that, if it's true! Is this your situation, or is there a reference somewhere?

noremac said:
I would really like to confirm that, if it's true! Is this your situation, or is there a reference somewhere?

I only have the 622 and I do not pay a lease fee, or and HD fee, just the PVR fee.

noremac said:

I think that is only if you were a new customer when you got the 622. I think that if you upgrade to the 622 you pay a lease fee no matter how many receivers you have.

noremac said:

lakebum431 said:
I think that is only if you were a new customer when you got the 622. I think that if you upgrade to the 622 you pay a lease fee no matter how many receivers you have.

I don't pay a lease fee, however I did get my 622 as a new customer. It's the only reciever on my account, also.

noremac said:

Yep my 622 is my only box and they waive the lease fee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)