No idea what I am doing....

Matt Finch

Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
northwest tennessee
:confused:Ok, I recently got Dish network's HD for life package and most of the channels won't come in:rant:! How should I go about fixing this situation without having to pay DishNetwork for something they should have done in the first place when I originally upgraded to HD back in the fall! I have no idea what the heck I should do, I am afraid I might mess something up and piss my wife off even more than she already is;). I do not know if what part of the country I am in matters. I am in Northwest Tennessee, it is satellite 129 that is not picking up completely

Last edited:
Matt, ya gotta tell us a little bit more. Like where are you located, what receivers do you have and what satellites you are aimed at.

Press Menu, 6, 1, 3 for System Info and tell us what satellites your receiver can see. Most HD channels are on 129 or 72.7, so if your dish is not setup for one of them you won't get the HD channels.

If you have the correct dish and you're still missing the channels, you may need to call them to re-authorize the channels you should be getting.

Press Menu, 6, 1, 3 for System Info and tell us what satellites your receiver can see. Most HD channels are on 129 or 72.7, so if your dish is not setup for one of them you won't get the HD channels.

If you have the correct dish and you're still missing the channels, you may need to call them to re-authorize the channels you should be getting.
satellites 119, 110, and 129. I can pick up some, but the others give me the error 002 message.

Error 002 is poor signal on satellite 129. Complain and see if you can get them to come back and repeak your dish. You could have a tree blocking the signal.

"Symptom
Errors 002, 015, intermittent signal loss messages, low signal on the signal stength bar, intermittent black screens, pixels, blocks in video, audio pops.

Cause
Caused by poor weather, damaged cable, misaligned dish, or malfunctioning equipment. Local DMAs on a Spot Beam may display signal issues if traveling or in fringe areas."

I have contacted DishNetwork and they want to charge me $95 to come and make the adjustments. There is no interference with the dish. Satellites 19 and 10 are working at peak signal. Some of the HD channels do come in, I have been told to adjust the skew first, but am afraid I'll mess something up.

that charge is for an existing install (i.e. you screwed something up yourself). you need to call back again, threaten to cancel and you will get transfered to the loyalty dept. they will help you. there is no reason to mess with it if you can get dish to come readjust your system for free with a little 'talking'.

Re-peaking the dish is not that difficult but if you've never done it, you can screw the other two satellites and then the wife will be very happy. :) Yes, give it a shot and see if you can have them come over.

You upgraded last fall to HD? Leaves were off the trees? Trees now have a full crown of leaves and 129 is low on the horizon. DISH needs to relocate your dish or add a second dish with a good line of site.

Echo that! I lost LOS (line of sight) to 129 last year right after it was installed. I have a separate wing for 129 and it's located in about the best possible position on my property given all the trees I have surrounding me, and the rising terrain to the SW where I'm pointed for 129 (253 deg. magnetic). Raising the dish is an option, but one I'd prefer to avoid. It's already about 8' above the eave mount in the peak. I need guy wires as it is for wind loading/protection. Any higher and it's becoming a real lightning risk.

Last year within 2 days of the installation in late April (which the installer told me was not realistic, but he did it anyway at my insistence) the leaves came out and made a marginal signal too low to receive anymore. I had a tree trimmer take out much of the interfering branches then and was good to go with a substantially better (but not optimal) signal...until THIS April when the same cycle happened again! This time we took out 2 small trees completely and trimmed more branches on another. Best reception yet! I should be good to go for a couple of years now until more growth again blocks LOS. I can keep track of the "progress" by monitoring the signal strength on the various 129 transponders and spot beams in the receiver's setup screen...

Last edited:
Sre:sca threatening to cancel now a days will get you nothing.. they are not allowed to waive that fee *** also the fee would not be $95.00 if you have the svc plan for 6$ a month then it would only be $15.00** also exisiting cust installs are not $99.00 anymore they are $15.00 with the svc plan.. like they said if you have some obstructions to the dish you would get err 002..

And 61.5. I have neither 129 or 72.7 and get all of the Dish America Gold HD Channels.

Pulling the trigger

ABC in Laredo, TX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)