No landline for installation?

badger

Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Tulsa
I am looking to replace 2 old receivers with a single 522 once they become available. I dumped landline phones several years ago and only use cell phones. I've never had any problem from DN about not having a phone hooked up to my receivers.

I'm willing to pay the $5 for no landline. The real question is whether I can install the 522 without a landline?

Thanks for any info.

Welcome to Satelliteguys :) .
Yes you can install with no landline but will be billed $5.00 for not being connected. You will also be unable to order payper views with the remote, you will need to call or order online which will be another fee.

Edit: that $5.00 fee is if the 522 is your only receiver that will be hooked up. If you have more then it will be $5.00/tuner($10.00)

No, A new 522 after it downloads the current software will not let you continue without a phoneline connected. Once past that point tho it will then work.

n0qcu said:
No, A new 522 after it downloads the current software will not let you continue without a phoneline connected. Once past that point tho it will then work.
Hmmm didn't know that. Thanks for that info :) .

Thanks for the quick reply.

OK...Can I take the 522 to my office (no satellite dish there) and plug it into my office phone to get the initial download?

It doesn't even dial out. It just checks for dialtone and then you can finish setting it up.

n0qcu said:
It doesn't even dial out. It just checks for dialtone and then you can finish setting it up.

Thanks again....

Do you mean the download is to the dish rather than by phone line. :eek: If so, it sounds like the 522 must be connected to the dish when it checks for a dial tone. In other words my office phone does not solve the problem.

My 522 along with someone else's 522 didnt need the phoneline hooked up in order to receive the initial software download. I was one of the first ones that got NBR and dont have a phoneline hooked up.

Dodge Ram Nut said:
Badger...I had the SAME exact question that you have. I am in the same situation as you. Mainstreet explained it clearly to a T. Take a look at my thread and see if this doesnt answer your question.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=46410

Cheers

:cool: Thanks Dodge Ram Nut...Like you, the conflicting answers had me concerned about what would happen when I tried the install. I called technical CSR and received basically the same story as Mainstreet gave.

The rep also suggested taking the 522 to a landline to get past the dialtone check, then back home afterward. He said that won't stop the nag screen later, but will allow the setup.

By the way, where in Mizzourah are you? I'm planning to retire from Tulsa to the Ozarks.

Badger - I was born and raised in KC Missouri. Altho I did a 3 year thing in Bentonville, AR when my father was diagnosed with cancer (thanks to smoking 2 1/2 packs a day for 43 years :yikes :yikes ). I now reside back in KC. My father is in remission now for the past 8 years and currently lives in Fayetteville, AR. We both went dutch and have a lakehouse in Branson, Missouri. As for you retiring and moving to the Ozarks...I can't think of a more beautiful place to live. :rainbow It is truly beautiful down there. :yes I'm glad Mainstreet and I (?) could answer your queston.
Don't be a stranger now, ya hear? :wave

You do NOT need a phoneline connected to have your 522 set up. Mine was installed without a phone line, and have never been conneted to one.

The Staff at Dish are confused about this, though. During installation we had to go up the ladder at tech support to get everything working. All they have to do is tell their system that you do not have a landline, and everything will work just fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)