No local channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jr25

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Nebraska
Directv says they offer local channels in 97% of U.S. homes and my area is really in the 3% that doesn't?! I live in Nebraska. I'm having Directv installed in my home tomorrow and thinking of cancelling and going with Dish Network cause they do offer local channels. I watch a lot of NBA/NFL and the Playoffs in both sports are shown on ABC, FOX, NBC which Directv wont be offering to us. Can't we just get ABC/FOX/CBS/NBC from a different region? Doesnt necessarily need to be from my area. I just want the channels and don't care if its ABC-New York etc.

What local market? The only market I see in Nebraska that D* doesnt carry is North Platte

There are some smaller markets where they do not carry locals yet. You might qualify for distants in that case. Here is the site to enter your address and see if you qualify
Enter Address

Call DirecTV and verify your eligibilty for the distant network channels from either LA or NY. You may be eligible locals from one or both areas.

What local market? The only market I see in Nebraska that D* doesnt carry is North Platte

There are some smaller markets where they do not carry locals yet. You might qualify for distants in that case. Here is the site to enter your address and see if you qualify
Enter Address

and given Nebraska's "shape" and geographical nature likely lend itself to the OP "moving" post install to get another DMA close to his actual area?

yep
North Platte is only 3 counties. But I know Omaha and the Lincoln/Kearney/Hastings/Grand Island market is available. Western Nebraska is Denver market

according to the link I provided above you should automatically qualify for all nets BUT NBC (as KNOP is there). That may require a waiver
I used the PO in North Platte when I put in an address

another option is "move" after the install

(a search will yield a lot of results). Basically one gives DIsh or Directv an address outside of the local area to get a neighboring market. In your case Denver or Lincoln would work.

I clicked the link enter my address etc.. it asks me for my account number and i enter it.. then it says invalid. Would that be because I haven't had installation yet?

OK, now I am up to speed.. So that next link takes me the the below: (and then the next link goes to a address info page for me.) THE ACCT # PART IS OPTIONAL, PUT YOUR SERVICE INFO IN HERE

Click this link Local/Network Channel Availability - DIRECTV

I used 1000 W 2nd Street, North Platte, NE 69101 (see very bottom)

Qualifying for East or West Network Feeds
Did you know that some DIRECTV customers may be eligible to receive non-local feeds of major broadcast networks? Eligibility is governed by federal law*, and is determined by several factors including:

You don't live near a metropolitan area
You can't get any TV reception whatsoever
You live more than 70 miles from TV station broadcast towers

To find out if you're eligible to receive Los Angeles or New York TV stations for ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC, click here.

Receiving HD Feeds via Off-Antenna
In some areas, we may offer standard local channels, but not HD channels. In these areas you may be able to receive local HD programs through an off-air antenna**.
*Under the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act (SHVIA) DIRECTV is permitted to transmit non-local feeds of major broadcast networks "for private home viewing" to "persons who reside in unserved households." "Private home viewing" is defined as "viewing, for private use in a household by means of satellite reception equipment which is operated by an individual in that household and which serves only that household." An "unserved household" is defined as one that receives less than a Grade B signal from local TV stations. SHVIA requires that we use the Individual Location Longley-Rice ("ILLR") model to determine whether a customer resides in an unserved household.

**In cities where local off-air HD programs are available. Off-air antenna required; reception may vary based on geographic location. Programs not delivered in HD in all markets.
Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change. Hardware and programming sold separately.

DNS SEARCH RESULT

1000 W 2ND ST, NORTH PLATTE, NE, 69101-4624 Change

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
another option is to add a AM21 and use an OTA antenna to get the locals

Only thing I noticed is the database doesn't have all the locals. The AM21 works off a database (doesnt scan) so I show these in the database

KNOPDT 2_1...NBC
KWNBDT 6_1...ABC
KWNBDT2 6_2...FOX...but see below
KPNEDT 9_1...PBS
KPNEDT2 9_2...PBS world
KPNEDT3 9_3...PBS Create
KPNEDT5 9_5...?????

I see they are missing CBS (which is low powered) and Fox. The locla Fox is analog (and subchannel on 2) but they list the GI/Hastings/Lincoln subchannel but it isnt available in NP
KHGI-LD also does not rebroadcast KFXL on a digital subchannel as North Platte already receives Fox on K11TW.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts