No luck with Satellite..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sw1tchfoot

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2010
USA
I have a Pansat 3500SD+, 90CM Ariza Satellite dish, and a SNH031 Invacom LNBF.

I haven't had any luck with receiving channels. I have a little inline satellite finder and I think I have a good signal on a satellite, but I can't get any channels! On my TV it is showing only a 5% signal and no quality. No matter what I try it doesn't change from 5%.

I was trying to get Galaxy 19 (97W) at first, then without any luck I was going for Galaxy 17 (91W). But considering the signal is stuck at 5%, I think picking a satellite is the least of my problems.

Help?

couple of beginner mistakes...

Is this your first FTA experience?
The SNH-031 LNBF is Universal, not Standard.
So you have to set up your receiver appropriately.

Also, for aiming, please use one of the satellite calculators to get the proper azimuth.
There is a magnetic variation (aiming correction) that must be applied, and it varies across North America.

If these ideas don't help, we'll talk about the many other things that could go wrong. :)

Also, for aiming, please use one of the satellite calculators to get the proper azimuth.
There is a magnetic variation (aiming correction) that must be applied, and it varies across North America.

If these ideas don't help, we'll talk about the many other things that could go wrong. :)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, this is my first FTA experience.

In my menu I had it set at Standard, so I guess that could have been a problem.

According to dishpointer.net my Azimuth is less then one degree different from magnetic and true north.

Galaxy 19
Elevation: 44.6
Azimuth (true): 189.8
Azimuth (magn): 190.2
LNB Skew: +7.6

Galaxy 17
Elevation: 45.1
Azimuth (true): 180.2
Azimuth (magn): 180.6
LNB Skew: + 0.2

I'll mess with it some more tomorrow I guess.

Make sure you have the elevation set correctly on the dish and that the mast is plumb. You also will have to skew the lnb. Blindscan the sat when you think you are close. It helps to have a hot transponder in the setup when you are trying to aim also.

I have a Pansat 3500SD+, 90CM Ariza Satellite dish, and a SNH031 Invacom LNBF.

I haven't had any luck with receiving channels. I have a little inline satellite finder and I think I have a good signal on a satellite, but I can't get any channels! On my TV it is showing only a 5% signal and no quality. No matter what I try it doesn't change from 5%.

I was trying to get Galaxy 19 (97W) at first, then without any luck I was going for Galaxy 17 (91W). But considering the signal is stuck at 5%, I think picking a satellite is the least of my problems.

Help?

I agree with Anole's conclusions and recommendations.

The first indication that something is incorrect or malfunctioning is your signal level reading. When it is that low, you are either NOT connected to the LNBF or you have set the parameteres incorrectly. If everything was set up correctly and there is no equipment malfunctions or failures, you should detect a higher signal "level" reading even if you are pointing your dish at the dirt or a brick wall.

The LNBF generates its own signal (just unusable background noise - inherent noise from the amplifier portion and electronics within the LNBF) that your receiver should detect if all is well. If you don't detect this inherent background noise, your receiver is not listening to any signals coming from the LNBF (because a setting is incorrect) or the LNBF is dead or not connected.

When you troubleshoot this problem, remember to reduce your system to the most simple components. That is, remove all external switches (if you have any) and bypass the H-H motor (if you have one installed) and run a direct cable from the receiver to the LNBF. Then, treat your dish (motorized or not) as if it were a single, fixed point dish aiming at one individual satellite.

Doing the above will rule out all those extraneous possibilities and reduce your problem areas to a smaller set of components.
Refer to Troubleshooting rule #5.

Troubleshooting rules:

#1 Look for the obvious
#2 Check the power supplies
#3 Check the cables
#4 Check the settings
#5 Divide, Reduce and Conquer
#6 Substitute or replace and recheck your results
#7 Compare and track results
#8 Keep notes of all findings beginning from rule #1
#9 Research and read
#10 Ask questions and use notes from #7 to explain and describe details
#11 Don't change anything until you know what you are changing and why you are changing it.
#12 Only change one thing at a time
#13 Don't become discouraged. Keep your cool. Walk away and stop thinking about the problem until you feel relaxed.
#14 Cheat! Well, if you must. Ha Ha.

I just made that all up, but it is pretty much correct.

Good luck.

RADAR

select 97w in your menu/antenna settings and set the following....

LNB type - standard or single
LNB Freq - 10600
22khz - ON
TP Frequency - 11898

now try aiming for 97w

I believe I have a good connection with a satellite based on my Satellite finder, but no matter what I do on my TV it shows a 5% level. I brough my TV and reciever outside to get rid of possible problems. There is now a single 75ft cable between the LNB and the reciver. The cable is new. It still says 5%. :rant:

Smart scans don't come up with anything.

Do not rely on the Satellite Finder.
Keep in mind you are aiming at something Tens of thousands of miles away.
Confirm you setup the receiver for your LNB - it's not Plug-N-Play, if everything is not set correctly, you will go nuts :)

The Quality Meter in the Receiver is a Transponder Meter - so make absolutely sure that the Transponder that is selected in the Setup Menu is Active

I managed to pick up 4 channels from Galaxy 19 after doing a smart/blind scan.

So I guess that's a good start... I'll post which ones if it helps.

I tried a blind scan on G-11/KU too (Galaxy 17?) and Galaxy 3C too.

G-11/KU
1. Pacsat-KU1> Path-1 12096 H 6.111
2. Service 2 SC 12125 H 3.978
3. WESH 34-1 12232 H 3.515
4. WESH 34-2 12237 H 3.515
5. WPBF Path_1 12241 H 3.515
6. WPBFTV Path2 12246 H 3.515
7. TV 1 12301 H 13.231
8. KCRG Newstar 9 12241 V 13.332
9 Liberty 2 Path 2 HD 12241 V 13.332
10. Westar Satellite 12328 V 6.111

G-3C/KU
1. Pacsat-Ku1> Path-1
2. Service 2 SD
3. WMUR SNG 2 Path A
4. WMTW 207 240 5879
5. K0C0
6. TV 1
7. Gateway4 732-969-319
8. KCRG Newstar 9
9. Liberty 2 Path 1 HD
10. Westar Satellite

Galaxy 19
Gateway 732-969-319
Lib 2 Path 1 HD
Pacsat-KU1>Path 1
(Plus some other one that I forgot to write down.)

Not all of them work, some of them on G-11/KU cut out as I was writing them down.. I only got the numbers for the G11 because I still had the scan open.. :eek:

You're on Galaxy 17 at 91W. It doesn't matter what satellite you have selected, a blind scan will scan the entire frequency band for any active transponders.

All the channels you picked up are temporary feeds for news or sports (probably news right now -- there are lots of sports at night and on weekends at 91W.) There are no permanent channels on 91W at the moment -- there used to be one transponder with some scrambled channels and an unscrambled test pattern, but I don't see it today.

First, don't change Sats
Pick 1 Sat in the Receiver and stick with it
Is your dish Motorized?

I don't know where you are pointed yet, but looks like you have the wrong L.O. selected in the receiver setup menu
Go look on the LNB for a tag / sticker that has the specs, list those here.

OK, you know where you are pointed - 91 west
What Sat do you want to be pointed at?

I don't really know. I guess my choices are down to Galaxy 3C and Galaxy 19 since Galaxy 17 is nothing but feeds? I just don't know which would be a better choice...

Just so you know, you need to re-aim the Dish to change Satellites.
Do you know which channels were you hoping to get?

Yes, I figured that out :D

I wasn't really hoping to get any specific channels.. I'm just trying to get the most I can (in english).

I moved the Satellite slightly and based off of these channels I picked up I'm at Galaxy 3C (95W) and I decided i'm going to settle at Galaxy 19 once I find it.

CCTV 4 TV 11780 H 20760 3/4 512 650 128
CCTV 9 TV 11780 H 20760 3/4 513 660 129
CCTV F TV 11780 H 20760 3/4 514 670 130
CCTV E TV 11780 H 20760 3/4 518 710 134
MACTV TV
AON TV 12050 H 20000 3/4 625 626 625

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Where am I? (127w ku?)

Newbee needs help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)