No More 921's

release of 942

942 release is being delayed b/ we want it to have stable software. there were more bugs in both the 522 and 921 than we wanted would like the 942 to operate smoothly. its still anticpated that to get a 942 there will be an upgrade fee in order to get it but will still be leased. **a note on upgrading** when you get to the more expensive equipment like dual tuner receivers, hd receivers, dual tuner hd receivers and our first attempt w/ the 625 at vod service, we can't just just give these things away. when we do an upgrade promotion, we see it as if we are going to do an upgrade and invest in a customer, we would like customer to invest something as well. the general throught of customers is that they invest every month in their monthly bill. true, but the monthly bill is what is described on it: programming. if you qualify, we do have the 522 available to existing customers, but its twice as much to participate in dishnitup for the 522 ( in general) because its been only about a year since it has been released and needs to be installed. i'm sure many people have the available hookups and would be able to install themselves, but reality is that 95% of people have no clue what an lnbf or switch is how the satellite works and could not install or connect a dual tuner receiver. expect more promotions for existing customers in future.

Until the 942 actually ships there will be a demand for the receiver. Warts and all, if you want to record HD you are stuck with this unit as your only E* option. I'm not going to get the 942, because it isn't MPeg4 compliant, and I don't have a second HDTV yet, so there is no advantage to this for me.

I will probably upgrade to the model available after that once they add new channels that are only available with the new MPeg4 receivers.

Assuming they get them out fast enough and I don't jump ship to D* or cable if E* keeps standing still.......

aphiohokie mentions a 625 model SD DVR (the one with more on demand).

Is it being released about the same time as the 942? Or will it go into the Beta testing cycle well after the 942 release?

Got a potential new sub that would want a 942 and a 625 if its allowed on a lease.

942 will be out first, 625 later but offical release date isn't set for either yet. wasn't sure if there was any confusion w/ bob murdoch who said he doesn't have a 2nd hdtv anyway, maybe i misunderstood, but the 942 is dual dvr but the 2nd tv outputs are standard definition only, 1st tuner outputs are standard and hi def. will also have nbr making it the 2nd. something else to look for in future, a 544 dvr, 4 tuners w/ shared hard drive in 1 rec for 4 tv's.

Why don't you guys at E* just keep your 942 and any other DVR for HDTV that is not MPEG4 compliant. Make it so with an adapter to buy later or have it on the 942 now or just scrap the entire 942 project.
As an HDTV enthusiast, I refuse to buy another E* quality DVR ( I have the 921 now) until 2 things happen- 1. You begin to catch up to your competitors with presently available HDTV programming and 2. You make ANY new DVR so that it can receive those new HDTV channels. Frankly, that makes the 942 obsolete before you even release it so why bother. I'm sure you will fool some E* diehards on this and other forums and will certainly fool those who don't follow the technology. But to those who follow this stuff and love HDTV, E* and the 942 is looking like another fiasco and customer ripoff. I understand when you began the 942 development project, nobody there was thinking about MPEG4 but now that's all you and D* talk about when discussing future HDTV programming. Therefore, to offer an HDTV DVR without MPEG4 now is borderline criminal flim flam.

Don, just think, food for thought type of stuff...

E* announces the impending flood of HD. E* says MPEG4 is on the way. E* says they are the HD leader. E* says blah blah blah...

E* does release mpeg2 HD receivers. E* does not add additional HD for 2 years (?) now. E* will release it's next generation HD receiver in MPEG2 only configuration.

Now, if you care to remember, E* falls into the category of "actions speak louder than words", and this past history and future self promotion doesn't leave much to hope for in the near term for us dying for more HD from E*.

How do we not know E* is not going to MATCH direct TVS offer and do credit/free replacements like they already announced over at Direct TV for there Mpeg4 conversion.

Maybe the $250 buy in gets you the free upgrades. The thing is not out yet so we do not know, hang in there . . . I predict , Existing customer may have to wait till June, as new customers will get them first till the supply and demand catches up.

Here is Direct TVs free upgrade offer for Mpeg4 those with HDTV Receivers like the HDTIVO. I expect Dishnetwork to match this, but also require a 1 Year contract and a 1 year HDTV package requirement. Since you already paid the $250 entry fee it will be waived.

I also predit those that bought a 921 will have to pay a smaller entry fee to get into the lease program for the Mpeg4 (maybe $100).

-just predictions, but you know Charlie will try to match something.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=38104

-Dont worry, be happy

The hold up on the 942 stems from problems with timers (doesnt fire them)from what i hear....And yes it has working dishpass.....

Jon

Right now our only near term hope for more HD lies with 61.5 I'm afraid.

Charlie needs to add at LEAST the broadcast networks in HD for O & O markets.

I think he also needs Universal HD, but only because I REALLY want it. OK, ESPN2 HD also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts