No More CBS Sports?

Blackout rules shouldn't apply if your TV provider doesn't have the channel. So if you want MLB extra innings to watch your team play then you can, or NHL Center ICE, NBA etc.
LOL....well then there is no incentive for the cable co to carry the RSN. RSN produces the broadcasts and money from the sale of the RSN is paid to the team, so of course the team will ensure the blackout applies.

Reactions: SamCdbs
LOL....well then there is no incentive for the cable co to carry the RSN. RSN produces the broadcasts and money from the sale of the RSN is paid to the team, so of course the team will ensure the blackout applies.
Once upon a time..they wanted to fill stadiums...but greed and tv contracts took over

I guess you missed yesterday's uplink, then. Dish is working on bringing back the standard-def feeds for all of the out-of-market sports packages (NHL Center Ice, NBA League Pass, MLB Extra Innings). Those SD feeds (when they become available) will be on the 110 and 119 satellites, where the signals do reach Hawaii, just like Dish always did in previous seasons. So, all of those games (that aren't blacked out) will be available to you again without having to stream them, although most games will still be SD-only.
They're available.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thank you for all your efforts and reports.

I checked and finally, the SD feeds are showing up. Unfortunately, as is the way DISH has been doing this - only one feed seems to be available. Whereas the Center Ice package advertises home and away feeds, we are getting only one or the other.

My father, on cable in assisted living in PA on Xfinity, gets both home and away feeds of every game in HD.

I've been with DISH for close to a quarter of a century (in Oregon and Hawaii) but I fear that my subscription is about to end when my contract is up.

Between the SD NHL feeds and the fact that all games vs. California teams are blacked out because of the RSN drops (in fact, I couldn't get a game on ESPN today because the Dodgers were playing a team I wanted to see but DISH doesn't offer Dodger RSN), it's not worth the money anymore.

When DISH offers a compensatory dollar price reduction, it's like them trying to sell us a car that doesn't work at a cheap price. Imagine saying "but the car doesn't work". And DISH says, "but at least you have a car".

Reactions: Mochuf and pattykay
Then update the rules, blackout rules should apply for only the metro area of the teams, not from people 200 miles away.
Regardless blackout rules shouldn't exist in the modern day.
Only way there is changes if the companies who are advertising take a stand and say get it on all providers, they are losing out on lots of viewers.

Reactions: Dembinskij76
Then update the rules, blackout rules should apply for only the metro area of the teams, not from people 200 miles away.
Regardless blackout rules shouldn't exist in the modern day.
Only way there is changes if the companies who are advertising take a stand and say get it on all providers, they are losing out on lots of viewers.
You can scream all you want about blackout rules. The team and the league own the rights and set the standards. You are asking to take someone else's property.

I have no doubt every sports team and league has run through the models - put all the games on free TV or even MLB.TV and charge X or put them in a local RSN, charge Y and get X from all the distant fans across America. And each time they come back to the current model.

Thing is I had satellite for 17 years (mostly DISH with a 2 year stint with DIrectv in the middle), and I got so tired of losing channels and went back to cable. I find net to net I save $50 less during the promo and $40 after the promo when I bundle with my internet. AND I have BOTH of my local RSNs. How do I pay less with both RSNs than DISH charges without?

Reactions: Joe h and SamCdbs
You can scream all you want about blackout rules. The team and the league own the rights and set the standards. You are asking to take someone else's property.

I have no doubt every sports team and league has run through the models - put all the games on free TV or even MLB.TV and charge X or put them in a local RSN, charge Y and get X from all the distant fans across America. And each time they come back to the current model.

Thing is I had satellite for 17 years (mostly DISH with a 2 year stint with DIrectv in the middle), and I got so tired of losing channels and went back to cable. I find net to net I save $50 less during the promo and $40 after the promo when I bundle with my internet. AND I have BOTH of my local RSNs. How do I pay less with both RSNs than DISH charges without?
Not all teams are happy with it, since they're under contract they can't do anything about it. Until one team decides to leave nothing will happen.

Sinclair $12 billion in debt last August, how much longer can they actually keep the channels?

According to the Sinclair Broadcast Group’s most recent balance sheet as reported on August 10, 2020, total debt is at $12.40 billion, with $12.33 billion in long-term debt and $71.00 million in current debt. Adjusting for $622.00 million in cash-equivalents, the company has a net debt of $11.78 billion.

Not all teams are happy with it, since they're under contract they can't do anything about it. Until one team decides to leave nothing will happen.

Sinclair $12 billion in debt last August, how much longer can they actually keep the channels?

According to the Sinclair Broadcast Group’s most recent balance sheet as reported on August 10, 2020, total debt is at $12.40 billion, with $12.33 billion in long-term debt and $71.00 million in current debt. Adjusting for $622.00 million in cash-equivalents, the company has a net debt of $11.78 billion.

Sinclair is on the hook for the costs, period. They signed the deal. That's their call on how to pay.

Baseball sets its rules and that's how it is.

There was no third option. You complained cable did not extend to you. I said you either had cable, or for you to get cable you need to move.
He didn’t complain. He simply said that cable wasn’t available in small rural communities on the Eastern plains of Colorado. His option was to go with satellite which is available. Why should he move to get cable when he is satisfied with what he has. That is his option beyond getting unavailable cable or moving. That is option number three in my mind.

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
He didn’t complain. He simply said that cable wasn’t available in small rural communities on the Eastern plains of Colorado. His option was to go with satellite which is available. Why should he move to get cable when he is satisfied with what he has. That is his option beyond getting unavailable cable or moving. That is option number three in my mind.
Getting satellite = "not getting cable". There's still only two choices... moving or not getting cable (and finding another solution).

Getting satellite = "not getting cable".
Not true at all. Getting satellite = "cable from the sky". Any MVPD service could fill the same purpose.
There's still only two choices... moving or not getting cable (and finding another solution).
As a general rule, in any situation that is presented as an either/or choice, there are always at least two additional options: "both" and "neither". For example, in areas where cable is available, you can subscribe to both cable and satellite if you want. So again, getting satellite does not equal "not getting cable" in all circumstances.

Reactions: Bobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)