No more International programming on 61.5

CK SatGuy

Formerly ckhalil18
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
The Motor City
Dish posted this today on tech portal that they they'll be removing all international programming from 61.5. This means that customers on Eastern Arc will need a wing dish at 118.7 to receive international channels. Dish says they are doing this to free up more bandwidth so they could add more HD channels on 61.5 in the future. Here's the pdf that explains more info.

Attachments

• 118%207%20IntMigration_EXT.v2.pdf
    428.7 KB · Views: 248
Huh. If the customer has no LOS to 118, that document says this:

Advise the customer they will NOT lose their international channels at this time and Dish will be contacting them with other options

One wonders what other options they will have? IPTV?

Crap. Does this include free KBS? My wife loves Korean soap operas and it's supposed to be part of every programming package, right?

Which fuels my thought on this. They could wait till it gets replaced. So since they are not waiting, wonder if they are pushing hard for full time RSN HD? Problem is this does not address full time RSN's on the WA, which may actually have the bigger problem...

They're trying to replace all the older/legacy receivers that use QPSK code so they could make WA completely 8PSK which would save some bandwidth in that arc.

piranesi said:
Crap. Does this include free KBS? My wife loves Korean soap operas and it's supposed to be part of every programming package, right?

That's a good question, even though KBS is on 118.7 on WA, it's considered a public interest channel, like Free Speech TV or NASA. I'm guessing EA will lose it, though, which is a real shame.

Note this is going to take a year to accomplish.

I wonder if this is for Puerto Rico? I do not think that they will be able to fit all the HD on 61.5, but they could make a lot happy in PR if they get the most popular ones restored back to 61.5

No LOS for 118.7, no problem, Dish will send you old Blockbuster DVD's of your favorite programs - for a small fee.

Huh. If the customer has no LOS to 118, that document says this:

One wonders what other options they will have? IPTV?

That has to be the "other options." They have all internationals on their IPTV service--that is the service specifically marketed as and offering internationals via IPTV, and I am guessing that will be the only way Dish will provide internationals in the future, it would save a lot of bandwidth using the IPTV bird instead of having the expense of the current use of 118. I think that is why Dish put internationals on a leased slot and bird because they don't see delivering at as they do today in the long run.

So you think that Dish will remove all internationals from 118.7 in say a few years from now and just offer them via IPTV? It could happen, but I say that's iffy. If they pull the internationals on 118.7, then they'll be nothing on that bird. Hey, they'll be plenty of room to put the HD RSNs in full time then!:D

Google Dish IPTV you will find a site from dish advertising a limited amount of International programing available now. It wont be hard to expand the selection. I think there is a trend toward IPTV and this is what part of the purchase of blockbuster is about. This is also part of the reason that in installs there has been so much emphasis on connecting the phone lines in to VIP receivers. Dish wont have to care about the line of site for the 118 bird it will work or with the phone line same programing IPTV. Example: Skyangel

Setting up an IPTV channel is so easy even a caveman could do it. :D (Sorry Geico) :D

Its a lot easier (and cheaper) doing IPTV then it is to broadcast something via satellite.

I can setup my own IPTV channel today with no out of pocket costs using equipment I already have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)