No OTA antenna?

racer4551

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Greeeting's,not sure if this belongs here or in the installation section but anyways i just had voom installed last week and the installer was an idiot.When i asked him if the ota anteena was going to be installed he said he didnt have the correct antenna ,he said i needed a different antenna because i am located about 40-60 miles away from most of the stations and he didnt have one and that he would have to put in a request for the upgraded antenna.He also told me that since i also have basic local cable that the ota antenna woulnt really be needed sice i am already getting my locals through the local cable company.He also did not know how to initiate or program the new box,he had to call and ask how to do it and locked the box up twice,he finally did get it setup but my signal strength is 92 at max,is this ok?So my question is should i worry about the ota antenna or not or what should i do?

Welcome aboard!
92 is ok, but depending on where you are located, you might be able to get satellite signal quality in 95-97 range for an 18" dish.
40-60 miles might be indeed too far for a regular antenna. Check www.antennaweb.org to see what kind of antenna is needed for your address.

Should the installer supply the antenna?I just noticed another problem tonight when i came home from work that i had no signal or sound ,so i unplugged the receiver and plugged it back in ,that brought back the picture and sound,but noticed the signal strength is now at 82,it is raining steady here in ohio,but not real heavy,could this be caused by an out adjustment sat dish or by the rain?Also we did not experience any power outages so whats up with the glitch already in the receiver?Hope this isnt common,didnt have this problem with dtv,like voom's picture quality alot better and the hd programing is the bomb.

Right to ota

racer4551 said:
Greeeting's,not sure if this belongs here or in the installation section but anyways i just had voom installed last week and the installer was an idiot.When i asked him if the ota anteena was going to be installed he said he didnt have the correct antenna ,he said i needed a different antenna because i am located about 40-60 miles away from most of the stations and he didnt have one and that he would have to put in a request for the upgraded antenna.He also told me that since i also have basic local cable that the ota antenna woulnt really be needed sice i am already getting my locals through the local cable company.He also did not know how to initiate or program the new box,he had to call and ask how to do it and locked the box up twice,he finally did get it setup but my signal strength is 92 at max,is this ok?So my question is should i worry about the ota antenna or not or what should i do?

Installation of ota antenna is your right as part of basic installatin, don't wait for the installer to initiate anything, call voom and let the csr know that tech did not install ota and that he said you would need an upgraded ota. It may be nice to have basic cable but, he did not have the right to assume that you still wanted to pay this extra expense, however, if cost is no object, then you may want to keep the basic cable for locals, there is no promise made that with the upgraded ota you will receive all of your locals. Good luck

Also, welcome to rain fade, you probably lost your signal due to this and it was not strong enough to bring it back without a reboot. you may also request a larger dish at the time of ota upgrade, its also possible that tech did not do a very good job of aiming dish, mid 90's is the normal range.

Also checked antennaweb.org and need to understand what i found there,it lists 1 station in yellow,1 in light green,2 in red,7 in blue,13 in violet.So what does this mean?Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the reply.

antenna differences

racer4551 said:
Also checked antennaweb.org and need to understand what i found there,it lists 1 station in yellow,1 in light green,2 in red,7 in blue,13 in violet.So what does this mean?Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the reply.

Stations in yellow are what you will receive with basic small stealth antenna, if you will click on frequency type in yellow bar you will get a view of the area that each of the antennas will cover and what is needed to reach those areas. Also, make sure that you select digital, those are the only channels that will be scanned by voom stb. As a side note, antenna web is not the most reliable site for info. Some voom customers can get analog channels on aw that are not listed as digital. Not sure how often aw updates its site.