No OTA HD signal for local channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cu2much1

Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
I recently got the Dish Network DVR 942 and it is great, but I can not seem to get any local HD channels over my roof-top antenna. I have bought two antennas and cannot get any signal at all. I first bought a Terk TV32 and could not get anything to register then I went to radio shack and bought a HUGE VHF/UHF antenna I think think it is about 128 inches long. I still could not pick up one single signal. I checked Antennaweb website and it says that I am about 25 miles from the broadcast antenna. I don't have that great of line of sight, but am still pretty close to the top of the hill (my zip code is 78240). My question is, with a big antenna like that, shouldn't I be about to pick up even 1% of a signal if I adjust the antenna in any direction? This is very frustrating because I really want local HD channels.

1. This is the DirecTV forum and we might want to move it to a more general OTA HD area for better replies.
2. Instead of that huge VHF/UHF/FM combo antenna, try a good gain UHF only directional antenna (or 2 if needed).
3. I ran your antennaweb.org and it says a pre-amp should also be added.
4. I am not much on ANY Radio Shack offering.
5. Stay away (RUN AWAY) from anything billed as "designed for, or specifically for HDTV", this is only to add to the price of the item. HD is just your garden variety UHF signal; with the RARE VHF thrown in from affiliates that feel the need to screw with us.

Winegard HD9095, PR9032, and MAYBE as small as the PR9022. I always add about 10 -15 miles on to my actual distance. Try Channel Master brand as well.

antennasdirect

Bought my OTA here great service quick delivery and it works great. I spent the extra money and got the DB8 over kill for only 35 miles from towers but I get all the chanells at 95% :) ! Couldn't list this as a regular URL because I'm new sorry.

It seems that the existing cable that was running to the attic was not carrying the signal. I ran new wire and my Terk is getting a 100% signal on most channels. I don't know what the deal with the wire was. Thanks for the response.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts