No Power up?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bcpick0

Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
I purchased another Voom box on ebay (my first on worked perfectly for me) for my father. I basically unhooked mine and plugged the new one in. Either the red power light is burnt out, or it doesnt power up. althought the power light is not on, the screen says "Starting, please wait.". It will do that for at least an hour. The orange lights towards the right of the box shuffle through, but I cant get past the first screen that appears. Does anyone have any tips or clues of what the heck is going on? Thanks.

Try a long reset (hold power button down for at least 30 seconds).

When it comes back you should see the Starting screen and then see the red bars cycle. When I first plug my recievers in they do this then turn off. Once this is done (if you get past the starting up screen), hit the power button and it'll likely be on channel 100 and show no signal.

I tweaked the settings on mine to just bring up the last channel you were on instead of the now worthless Voom menu. It works pretty nice with my Tivo to record my HD locals in 480i down-converted and squished. It looks good when stretched back into 16:9. It looks WAY better than what I get from the cable co.

Thanks for the info.

I will give this a try this afternoon. I feel like the receiver should work since the starting screen comes up on the screen. If the 30 sec. reset doesn't work, I guess I just bought a bad one.

bcpick0 said:
I will give this a try this afternoon. I feel like the receiver should work since the starting screen comes up on the screen. If the 30 sec. reset doesn't work, I guess I just bought a bad one.
FWIW I had one of my boxes seem to do absolutely nothing and manaully setting the resolution back to 480i (red button, under the front cover) got me back into the reciever. I can't for the life of me remember which bar means what but there only a couple options there.

Another thing I saw recently that hangs the box is if someone locked out channel 100. The receiver will freeze on 1st power up. Unplugging it solved it for them.

The installer told me that the soft reset (30 seconds on the power button) solves 99.9% of the problems with the Voom STB.

Good luck!

I tried the hard reset and still am having no luck. After the reset, the bars would shuffle through and the starting screen would come up on the TV. After about 10 seconds the bars would stop and nothing else would happen. I tried pushing the power button, but there was no response. I feel like I received a box that was never activated w Voom. What confuses me, is why does the power light never come on in the entire process.

If I have time tonight I'll run through the whole power-up cycle on one of mine (known good). I'll take note of what's happening & when.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)