No "RAW" next week???

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Interesting turn of a building being double booked...and Vince's comment is classic :)

World Wrestling Entertainment’s live, internationally televised broadcast, WWE Monday Night Raw (USA Network, 9:00 PM ET) to take place at the Pepsi Center in Denver next Monday, May 25 is in jeopardy of being cancelled by the Denver Nuggets.

WWE and the Denver Nuggets are currently at an impasse in resolving a scheduling debacle by the team and the Pepsi Center. A sell-out crowd is expected to attend the WWE show at the same time the Denver Nuggets are slated to square off against the Los Angeles Lakers for Game 4 of the NBA Western Conference Finals. WWE has held the May 25 date with the Pepsi Center since Aug. 15, 2008.

“Even though the Denver Nuggets had a strong team this year and were projected to make the playoffs, obviously Nuggets and Pepsi Center owner Stan Kroenke did not have enough faith in his own team to hold the May 25 date for a potential playoff game,” said WWE Chairman Vince McMahon.

WWE: Inside WWE > News > WWE vs. NBA

I don't agree with the NBA just saying, "Oh, we can't change the date." Screw that. You're the NBA! You can do whatever you want! Why should the WWE have to have the burden put on them? What they're essentially saying is, "We're more important than you are."
Look at this quote:

The league, which handles scheduling during the playoffs, is leaving it up to the team and the WWE to figure things out.

“The Nuggets and the WWE understand that the date of Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals cannot be changed,” NBA senior vice president Mike Bass said. “We are confident that the Pepsi Center and the WWE will resolve their scheduling conflict.”
Source: Nuggets, WWE wrestling over arena confict - NBA- nbcsports.msnbc.com

Umm.. I'm sorry NBA, but the real world doesn't work that way. The WWE has a valid, legal contract for the arena on that date. Just because you're bigger than them doesn't mean you get your way.

Vince McMahon said:
Even though the Denver Nuggets had a strong team this year and were projected to make the playoffs, obviously Nuggets and Pepsi Center owner Stan Kroenke did not have enough faith in his own team to hold the May 25 date for a potential playoff game.
:up

Looks like the Staples Center has offered to host the show. Pepsi center completely screwed the pooch on this one and now has plenty of completely pissed off people here in Colorado.
Rumor going around is that if the show goes on anywhere (LA?), then those who bought tickets for the Denver show but can't get there are out the money.

Vince is going to LA FOR ALL THREE SHOWS

WWE cancels 3 Colo. events over 'Denver Debacle'
posted by: Sara Gandy written by: Kyle Clark updated by: Jeffrey Wolf

DENVER - World Wrestling Entertainment will move three wrestling events from various Colorado arenas to the STAPLES Center after a Denver Nuggets playoff game created a scheduling conflict at the Pepsi Center.

Dubbed the "Denver Debacle," a schedule conflict erupted after the Denver Nuggets advanced to the Western Conference Finals putting Game 4 of the seven game series on the same night, and location, as the WWE's Live Raw event: May 25 at the Pepsi Center.

WWE Chairman Vince McMahon, speaking live on 4 O'Clock at 9NEWS, said the WWE was cancelling the Pepsi Center event along with a May 24 event in Loveland and a May 26 show in Colorado Springs.

All three shows will move to the STAPLES Center in Los Angeles, home of the Denver Nuggets' current opponent, the LA Lakers.

McMahon said WWE would return to Colorado with an engagement at the Denver Coliseum on August 7. A spokeswoman for the Coliseum said the WWE would determine when tickets would go on sale for that event.

"We need to get back and make it right," said McMahon. "We're going to do the right thing by our audience for sure and that's why we're coming back in August."

McMahon stressed that his issue is not with fans in Colorado, but with Nuggets and Pepsi Center owner Stan Kroenke.

"I didn't create this controversy, it's Stan Kroenke's inept management which created this controversy and quite frankly Kroenke's management is driving us out of Denver. We don't want to leave Denver, they're driving us out," he said. "They wouldn't even make a deal unless there was a joint press release. You wouldn't believe the things they wanted me to say."

McMahon said he would not rule out bringing WWE back to the Pepsi Center at some point, but it was clear his frustration with Kroenke hadn't subsided.

"It's really unfortunate because if he were just a regular business man and picked up the phone and said, 'Vince, you know, we're throwing you out but I want to make it right, what can we do?' I never heard from Kroenke, I don't know if anyone else has either, by the way, he's somewhat of a Howard Hughes guy I understand," he said.

"I think our company has been damaged severely from a financial standpoint and from a psychological standpoint as well. You don't treat people the way Kroenke's management treated us," he said. "I'm not a litigious kind of guy, but quite frankly when we have a contract and we have over 10,000 tickets sold and you just say: we're out, and we're not going to do anything for you, you know we're not going to make any restitution. We may pay for your additional expenses, that's it. There could very well be a lawsuit down the road."

After the conflict was publicized, various arenas offered to host the WWE Raw event including Madison Square Garden in New York City and the STAPLES Center.

The Denver Nuggets, down one game in the series, are set to take on the Lakers at the Pepsi Center on both Saturday and Monday evening.

9NEWS has requested information on refunds from Kroenke Sports Enterprises, which owns the Pepsi Center and the Nuggets, and from Ticketmaster. Those calls were not immediately returned, but Ticketmaster did put up a statement on its Web site.

"The Pepsi Center regrets to announce the WWE scheduled on Monday, May 25, 2009 has been cancelled. All phone/Internet orders will be automatically credited back the ticket price + convenience charge. Tickets purchased via Ticketmaster Ticket Centers or the Pepsi Center Box Office will need to be returned to the point of purchase to obtain a refund," said the statement on Ticketmaster.com.

McMahon said rescheduling the events in Denver would take some time to work out and all three Colorado events were cancelled because the entire crew had to go to California.

"You know we're the second largest traveling show in the world, second only to Ringling Bros.," he said.

As for coming back to the Pepsi Center, "I never say never, quite frankly I think that's ridiculous for anyone to do," McMahon said.

but did you notice this

McMahon said WWE would return to Colorado with an engagement at the Denver Coliseum on August 7.

so they're coming back....but to the old Denver Coliseum...not the Pepsi center

but did you notice this

so they're coming back....but to the old Denver Coliseum...not the Pepsi center

It's a house show on a Friday night, not RAW or Smackdown like was originally scheduled for Colorado. 9,000 less seats than the Pepsi Center so smaller crowd and basically a crap venue if you ask me.
To me it's like the difference between going to an All Star game and World Series game, they players are good at both, but the attitude and excitement of the event is different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts