No signal on one tuner

Hoosier-Daddy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
My 522 can't get a signal on one of the tuners.

I swapped the inputs and the problem moved, so i think that rules out a problem inside the 522 itself. I checked every coax connection between the dish and the 522 and none were loose but I unscrewed and reconnected each one anyway and the problem is still there. So I'm guessing the problem is in the dish itself. Since i have good signal on one of the cables I take that to mean its not a dish alignment issue. I guess I'm lucky to go 6 or 7 years with no problems except one dead disk drive years ago (they swapped out the whole box for free) and one dead IR remote recently (Dish offered to replace for just a shipping charge but I was able to buy a new remote somewhere else for LESS than Dish's shipping cost!).

Is that enough information to pin the problem down to a specific cause?

And is there anything else a customer can do? I mean before (or other than) just calling a local contractor or having DishNetwork support dispatch one. I'm not clear on what repairs would be chargeable. I mean, DishNetwork owns the dish and everything in it and the 522, but I assume they aren't responsible for the cabling, etc.. So if it's a defective component in the Dish itself, would Dish want to charge me for labor?

Side question: would the dish itself get replaced if I upgraded to a 622? Thinking of going HD and wouldn't want to troubleshoot/fix something that would be replace anyway.

TIA

To answer your side question, if you were to upgrade we would replace the dish on your home. For the one tuner signal issue, without getting a tech out, we can always try to narrow down the problem. You tried swapping coax's on the receiver I'm guessing, which is how you know its not the receiver that's faulty. Try swapping the lines at any connectors there may be, as well as on the LNB/switch until the problem area emerges, then replace the problem.

OK. As Matt said, if you upgrade to HD you will get a whole new Dish w/integrated switch that can handle 3 satellite locations at once, as well as feed 3 dual-tuner receivers off a single coax per receiver. Your installer will fix any cable issues you might have as well.

So, you have as DishPro twin LNB/switch which cannot feed dual tuner receivers off a single coax. This is why you have two cables going from LNB to your 322. Either the switch port feeding the "bad" cable has gone bad, or the cable itself (or any connectors in that line) went bad. If you're reasonably competent and can get to the dish at this time of year, you can fix this yourself. Or if not, you could add the service plan for $6/mo and get Dish to come out and fix it... For $15 as I recall. Immediate cancellation of the service plan after they fix it also costs $25 IIRC, so it's not free, but it's far less than paying for the truck roll all by yourself.

Recommend upgrading to an HD DVR. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)