No signal Tuner 2 HR23 700

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
I have a currently working installation where I've been using 2 of my 3 receivers.

This is a SWM system with a single wire coming from the dish to a 4-way splitter. The power port goes first to a power inserter then to our 1st receiver.

The 2nd port to the 2nd and now the 3rd to the 3rd receiver.

The 4th port is terminated with a 75 Ohm Terminator.

My other receivers are and have been working fine. I connected the third tonight, it detected the dish type (the setup was different at my previous address, with 4 wires coming from the dish).

It required a re-hit but came on.

Currently, Tuner 2 is showing all 0's on all transponders and I can no longer record 2 shows at once or watch one and record another.

My DECA is connected to this receiver, but the "other half" the Broadband DECA Ethernet to Coax Adapter is not connected. I cannot find where we packed it.

I spoke to a CSR who told me THIS was my issue. She said Tuner 2 comes over the DECA and not over the satellite SWM line.

I seem to remember NOT having a DECA connected to this box at one time and while multi-room viewing didn't work, both tuners did.

I've tried a different coax from the wall to the receiver but I have not attempted to change ports on the splitter, change 4-way splitters, or run a new line up the outside all to this room.

Would one of these be my next troubleshooting step? I cannot believe the Broadband DECA Ethernet to Coax Adapter not being connected is the root of this issue.

Thanks in advance.

CSR formulated an excuse to get you off the phone. The answer is in the question, a SATELLITE signal is not going to be missing because of a missing internet connection.

Just to be sure I understand, you have a receiver DECA in-line behind the HR23 (from “Signal to IRD” on power inserter to port on DECA, short Ethernet to back of HR23 and short jumper to Satellite in 1 on HR23). Make sure the lights are lit up on the DECA.

I would start with double checking your satellite settings to be sure it’s set to SWM with dual tuners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSR formulated an excuse to get you off the phone. The answer is in the question, a SATELLITE signal is not going to be missing because of a missing internet connection.

Just to be sure I understand, you have a receiver DECA in-line behind the HR23 (from “Signal to IRD” on power inserter to port on DECA, short Ethernet to back of HR23 and short jumper to Satellite in 1 on HR23). Make sure the lights are lit up on the DECA.

I would start with double checking your satellite settings to be sure it’s set to SWM with dual tuners.

I actually had it connected both ways. With and without the DECA.

The TO DISH from the DECA is on the coax leading to the wall, the short coax lead out of the DECA is on Input 1 on the IRD and the short Ethernet cable is plugged into the port on the IRD. Green lights on the DECA.

Satellite setup on the IRD shows: SL3 LNB SWM LNB 8 CH, the same as my other two receivers.

Can you exchange the locations of the problem receiver with a good one to isolate the issue to either the receiver or the cabling to the problem box location?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

What receiver combo do you have? A Genie and 2 HD-DVR would be 9 tuners. Your SWM setup only supports 8
Good point ...

I assumed the OP had 3 two tuner DVRs for six tuners max.

Although I would expect a 771B or 776 error message for an over-subscribed Swim on the problem receiver if your suggestion is correct.

What receiver combo do you have? A Genie and 2 HD-DVR would be 9 tuners. Your SWM setup only supports 8

So this is the correct answer. :(

I spent some time today swapping positions of my HR24-500 from the master bedroom to the TV room where this receiver was.

Both IRD's work independently in either location so I now know it is not a splitter/cable/DECA problem (though I didn't suspect the DECA in the first place).

However, with the TV room IRD powered up first, the master bedroom loses a tuner.

Now that this issue is solved, is there a solution that gives me my 9 tuners back?

The house I came from had a different dish, having 4 coax leads coming in from the dish to a giant multi-switch. I am guessing something similar will need to be done in this case.

Thanks!

2 options, either a 4 line from dish to a SWM module with the appropriate number of tuners OR a digital SWM LNB. The DSWM LNBs are capable of at least 13 tuners but still over a single coax.

There are multiple variations of the DSWM LNB but anything with model number 3D1 or 3D2. The current LNB most areas are installing is the 3D2RB model.

2 options, either a 4 line from dish to a SWM module with the appropriate number of tuners OR a digital SWM LNB. The DSWM LNBs are capable of at least 13 tuners but still over a single coax.

There are multiple variations of the DSWM LNB but anything with model number 3D1 or 3D2. The current LNB most areas are installing is the 3D2RB model.

This:

DIRECTV Ultra HD 4K Digital Reverse Band 3 LNB (3D2RBLNB) from Solid Signal

Looks like it is a direct "bolt on" replacement for what I currently have, which is a SL3 LNB SWM.

Do I read that correctly? It would simply mount in place of what I have with no "repeaking" necessary?

Before the OP goes out and gets a DSWM LNB, will DSWM work with Hr23’s

I know I had a THR22 and it would not work with DSWM and definitely not D12’s
Supposed to be compatible ...

But according to the latest from Stuart over at Solid Signal, who now feels he's finally resolved the mystery of the 13 tuner limitation.

All pre-Genie H/HR receivers can only see 13 of the 21 SWiM carrier frequencies used for programming by the 3D2 and 5D2 LNBs. Whereas the Genies can see all 21.

Any SWM capable receiver will work with DSWM. Including D12s, just installed two on a RB3 yesterday.

The 3D2RB and 3D2 are capable of 21 tuners while the 3D1 has 13. The 21 tuners only applies if there are only HR44 or above in the system. If anything lesser is in the system the overall system is only capable of 13. Thought that was common pretty common knowledge amongst those who regularly work with DTV technology.

Supposed to be compatible ...

But according to the latest from Stuart over at Solid Signal, who now feels he's finally resolved the mystery of the 13 tuner limitation.

All pre-Genie H/HR receivers can only see 13 of the 21 SWiM carrier frequencies used for programming by the 3D2 and 5D2 LNBs. Whereas the Genies can see all 21.

I think also if you use any non genie equipment it defaults to 13 tuners.

I think also if you use any non genie equipment it defaults to 13 tuners.
But I think it's a bit more complex ...

Where the key to the confusion is that the 3D2 or 5D2 LNBs and DSWM-30 multiswitch don't actually "default" to a 13 tuner mode for the entire installation if a pre-Genie receiver is detected. But simply that the maximum number of SWiM program carriers the pre-Genie receivers can see and use is 13. Therefore only 13 tuners maximum can be supported for them.

So for example if the aggregate number of tuners for the pre-Genie receivers on an installation is 13. Then the only further receiver that can be added to that install now is a Genie which can see and use among the remaining 8 available SWiM channels.

This explanation seems to account for why my installation of an HR54 and 5 HR24s on a 5D2RB LNB for a total of 17 needed tuners to support works fine no matter what sequence I boot the receivers up in.

Thanks for the input.

I do not see the need to move past 9, at least not at the moment.

I think that will solve my problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I still don't see where its mentioned exactly what recvrs are being used here other than the HR23 ....
There are 3 recvrs in play ...
1 is a HR23 (2 tuners)

No mention of a Genie anywhere (that I saw) ...
So if the other 2 recvrs are 2 tuner units (HRs lower than a 34)

You only have a total of 6 tuners.

IF a Genie is in play, you have 9, which is why the extra Multi switch was on the old house.

I still don't see where its mentioned exactly what recvrs are being used here other than the HR23 ....
There are 3 recvrs in play ...
1 is a HR23 (2 tuners)

No mention of a Genie anywhere (that I saw) ...
So if the other 2 recvrs are 2 tuner units (HRs lower than a 34)

You only have a total of 6 tuners.

IF a Genie is in play, you have 9, which is why the extra Multi switch was on the old house.

IRD #1: HR34-700
IRD #2: HR24-500
IRD #3: HR23-700

We went through several changes at the old house from SD to Tivo's to HD then Genie.

At one time we had some of each and with a new dish install they used a dish with 4 cables to a big multi-switch.

A lot of this was pre-SWM days when every DVR required 2 coax connections. I always thought that was the reason for the big MS.

IRD #1: HR34-700
IRD #2: HR24-500
IRD #3: HR23-700

We went through several changes at the old house from SD to Tivo's to HD then Genie.

At one time we had some of each and with a new dish install they used a dish with 4 cables to a big multi-switch.

A lot of this was pre-SWM days when every DVR required 2 coax connections. I always thought that was the reason for the big MS.
So it was that big multiswitch that allowed you to get the 9th tuner ... Now you can do the same thing with any of the newer SWM LNBs, the 13 tuner one is sufficient in this case.
The SWM technology replaces the multiswitch ...
You should be able to use the LNB you posted erlier, turn the recver off when you change the LNB and when you put it together and boot it up it should auto detect the new switch.

Yeah ...

As a DIRECTV sub. for over 20 years been through several install iterations myself during all this time. And your "big multiswitch" description with 4 lines feeding it sounds like the Zinwell WB616. A large 6 x 16 powered legacy switch.

Actually thought that was a great multiswitch in its day, which for some reason DIRECTV was very strict with the distribution of and was like pulling teeth getting my HSP back at the time to finally give me one.

And then I didn't really even get to keep it that long as WH service came out soon after and jumped on that asap when it first became available in my area. So had to replace it with a SWiM-16.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts