No Viacom-- Now what?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bloomingtong

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
This morning, Dish Network customers are discovering or have discovered that many of the channels that they or members of their families view daily are not available. The vast majority of Dish customers do not participate in this type of communication forum, follow DBS related news, or watch the Charlie Chat programming and are learning of the loss of this programming cold.

Most Dish subscribers became customers based on the programming offerings provided by Dish vs. their competitors. Most of these current Dish subscribers would not choose Dish today as their provider based on the lack of Viacom programming. Most subscribers do not have multiple providers to obtain the programming from, as most chose Dish to be their content provider vs. the other available service (i.e. cable).

What options do current Dish subscribers that are under contract have with Dish? I personally believe an "opt out" period without penalty should be granted for all current subscribers that have issue with the lack of programming, and choose to procure a different content provider.

While the arguments can be made by both sides concerning the "worth" of these Viacom channels, the simple fact is that the amount of programming offerings available via Dish Network has now been severely impacted. Channels that Dish could hurry to provide in place of the Viacom channels will in most cases not be adequate or suitable replacements for many Dish customers. A $1.00 or $2.00 monthly credit for lack of programming is an arbitrary amount that was determined by Dish as the worth of those channels. To gauge if this is a fair amount of discount, and determine the true value of this programming, answer the following question… How many new subscribers would Dish generate without having these Viacom channels in their line-up at the current Dish monthly fees less the $1-2 dollar discount from current rates? My guess is 0.

What is a fair amount of time to give Dish Network to get the Viacom issue resolved and the programming restored before moving on to a Dish competitor.

Currently a very frustrated Dish customer,

G

I can understand Echostar's position, but unfortunately the customers are taking the hit as well....With March Madness staring in a week I can't wait weeks. I will have to drop Dish, eat whatever long-term contract I have, make up the loss by selling my equipment on E-bay and go with my local cable.

So, I guess I will wait a week, but my family may not be so considerate and/or patient.

--shich

So they'll cut my monthly bill by $1-$2 during the period they've yanked the channels...think they'll also pay me the $5 downgrade fee for changing my subscribed programming? ;)

Sure hope this gets resolved quickly!

For me this can not go on very long and be tolerated. My daughter watches nothing but Nick & TV Land. I wont have any choice but to switch to D* if this continues more than a few days. I will take a substantial hit because I am a big HDTV viewer and the cost of D* HDTV equipment is high. Oh well... :(

We have been reading about this shutdown of service for quite some time. But the general public is probably in shock right now. My question is.... if the deal that Viacom is offering is so terrible, did D* and Comcast sign the same or comparable deal? And if they did, are they idiots and fools? As noble as Charlie's efforts may be, with the loss of my 148 satellite, and now the blackout of channels, it is very hard to be a Dish customer these days. Both sides can blame whomever they want. The bottomline is customer is taking it up the wazoo once again. No matter how anyone spins it, this is just not good.
Bubba04

Shichonni said:
I can understand Echostar's position, but unfortunately the customers are taking the hit as well....With March Madness staring in a week I can't wait weeks. I will have to drop Dish, eat whatever long-term contract I have, make up the loss by selling my equipment on E-bay and go with my local cable.

So, I guess I will wait a week, but my family may not be so considerate and/or patient.

--shich

Why should we have to eat a long term contract?? If they just start taking away all the channels we watch should that contract still be valid? I am switching to Directv today.

Can anyone say if SpikeTV was a part of this channel drop. I've reviewed the list but if I'm not mistaken SpikeTV is also a ViaCom channel. Anyone?

Good Point Sdc,

This may be a breach of contract with Dish and their customers . If Dish customers are to leave, this may be the point in time to do so. It's affects the whole household from what I been reading. Registered users are running to the hills because the wife, kids, grandmas are on a manhunt, and charile is to far to reach, so it's just us!! It's just a hassle,

"can't we all just get along??"

bubba04 said:
My question is.... if the deal that Viacom is offering is so terrible, did D* and Comcast sign the same or comparable deal? And if they did, are they idiots and fools? Bubba04

He said himself last night that when E* started out, they paid a higher fee for Viacom/CBS due to the fact that they had a smaller subscriber base as a startup company. He said that they have not only kept E* at the higher rates, but is now demanding an increase over that already high rate.

I would be REALLY shocked if all content providers got even close to the same deal from Viacom. Otherwise there wouldnt be a renegotiating period.

Having switched from cable to Dish last December and losing HD locals, and now with the current loss of Viacom programming, I am not sure my wife and kids will let me into the house tonight... Perhaps Charlie has a spare bedroom at his place? :(

G

ItamaeChef said:
Can anyone say if SpikeTV was a part of this channel drop. I've reviewed the list but if I'm not mistaken SpikeTV is also a ViaCom channel. Anyone?

no..Spike TV & TV Land have separate contracts. (they are both Viacon channels)

Irate customer

I fired off my email to Charlie (CEOofDishNetwork@dishnetwork.com) He promised to read all letters. I think he is in for a late night.

My question is, are they in violation of section 1.g of the customer agreement stating that they have to provide notice of pending channel changes.

I found out from slashdot at 9pm last night. Many people probably did not find out until this morning. I've got a feeling that Dish is going to take it in the shorts. I called customer support at 7am this morning and had to wait 10 minutes to get anyone. I called directv to confirm pricing and I had to wait 10 minutes to get anyone there. The lady said they were getting a lot of calls this morning from dish customers.

Charlie is playing poker. The customers are the chips. I think Charlie is going to loose on this hand, however it comes out.

Interesting article titled "Viacom's Redstone Doesn't Want EchoStar", posted Monday evening (3/8/04) on "TheStreet.com".

In the article, Viacom Chairman Sumner Redstone is quoted as saying at a conference in Florida Monday evening:

"Suggesting that EchoStar had asked for terms Viacom could never accept, Redstone said, his voice rising, 'There is no way Viacom can or will give Charlie Ergen a better deal than it gives to Rupert Murdoch' or Comcast".

For full story: http://www.thestreet.com/_tscana/tech/georgemannes/10147607.html

:confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

Coopsterman321 said:
So they'll cut my monthly bill by $1-$2 during the period they've yanked the channels...think they'll also pay me the $5 downgrade fee for changing my subscribed programming? ;)

Sure hope this gets resolved quickly!

I was thinking(very dangerous & I'm already feelling the family pressure)
they''ll (E*) will reimburse us $1-$2 dollars a month for losing those channels.

after 5 years that equates to 80 cents a month more.(according to ergen)

well I've been a dish customer since 97 and they've gone up more than 80 cents a month since then.

right now I don't care if he charges me $5 a month more. I need those channels
for my kids.(and my sanity)
the channels I watch I can get from cable but east and west coast NICK?
no way.

Maybe people wounldn't care so much about the Viacom networks being yanked if they got a life and did something else with there time or better yet stop using TV to babysit our kids. I applaud Charlie for not giving in. Of course I would like to have my channels back up. I really miss CBSHD, but somebody has to stop this slippery slope of rate increases that the Media conglomerates place on consumers. I also applaud TW for standing up to Disney last year. This will probably only last a short time so please suck it up and stop whining because hopefully we will get a better value for our money in the long run. And if you don't like the present situation stop complaining and go to Directv or cable. Beware, there is no guarentee that they won't be in the same situation when there contract is up or keep raising rates like the cable companies.

cnacht said:
Maybe people wounldn't care so much about the Viacom networks being yanked if they got a life and did something else with there time or better yet stop using TV to babysit our kids.

First off, because some people are pissed off that some of our favorite channels have been taking from us we need to get a life? Interesting view. Sorry but some people might have different interests then you, and like to watch different programming then you. I watch Comedy Central a lot at night, and my kids like to wake up and watch Nick in bed for a little while before breakfast. TV does not babysit my kids. I don'y know what your favorite channels are to watch, but if they were to take those away from you, and then not let you switch company's without paying a fine, i am sure you would be singing a different tune.

cnacht said:
Maybe people wounldn't care so much about the Viacom networks being yanked if they got a life and did something else with there time or better yet stop using TV to babysit our kids. I applaud Charlie for not giving in. Of course I would like to have my channels back up. I really miss CBSHD, but somebody has to stop this slippery slope of rate increases that the Media conglomerates place on consumers. I also applaud TW for standing up to Disney last year. This will probably only last a short time so please suck it up and stop whining because hopefully we will get a better value for our money in the long run. And if you don't like the present situation stop complaining and go to Directv or cable. Beware, there is no guarentee that they won't be in the same situation when there contract is up or keep raising rates like the cable companies.

I must say i 100% agree with you....hands down.

fbruno said:
Charlie is playing poker. The customers are the chips. I think Charlie is going to loose on this hand, however it comes out.

That's OK you can lose a hand every once in a while. I think the 19th richest man in the US has had a pretty good run at the table doing things his way. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and see how it plays out.....

This is from the Residential Agreement posted on the Dish Network site:

G. Changes in Services offered. DISH Network reserves the right to change the Services that we offer,
and our prices or fees related to such Services at any time. If the change affects you,
we will provide you notice of the change and its effective date.
The notice may be provided on your billing statement or by other communication permitted under Section 9B.
In the event of a change in the contents of any programming, programming packages or other Services,
you understand and agree that we have no obligation to replace or supplement the programming,
programming packages or other Services previously offered that have been deleted,
rearranged or otherwise changed. You further understand and agree you will not be entitled to
any refund because of a change in the contents of any programming, programming packages,
or other Services previously offered.

B. Notice. If we send you notice, it will be considered given when deposited in the U.S. Mail,
addressed to you at your billing address or hand-delivered to you.
Our notice to you will also be effective if provided on your billing statement or by telephone.
If you give notice to us, it will be deemed given when received by us at the address listed on
the first page of this Agreement.

BobMurdoch said:
That's OK you can lose a hand every once in a while. I think the 19th richest man in the US has had a pretty good run at the table doing things his way. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and see how it plays out.....

I agree. This has provided more entertainment value than any of Viacom's channel's ;)

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)