NOAA-20 Receiving and Decoding

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

KD2RPE

Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
Illinois
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and I am excited to have found it!

I recently found out about NOAA-20 which is the newest weather bird. This satellite uses X Band downlink on 7812 MHz so much more challenging than NOAA-15/19. I google'd around and didn't really find too much help on this.

Here is info on the satellite itself:

I found this software to decode it but it is very much alpha at this moment. I reached out to him on Twitter with questions but have no heard back yet.

I currently have a SDRPlay RSPdx but that can only go up to 3GHz. A friend mentioned trying an LNB but I can't find one that is affordable to get me to X Band. I see that the Lime SDR has an optional board to get up to 10GHz but that is going to be over $500 for both boards.

Another factor is antennas. In playing ham radio I have never worked with microwave frequencies before so any reasonable antenna recommendations for 10GHz?

Any assistance that could be provided would be helpful. My goal is if I can get this working to write up a thorough technical document to help others pull down NOAA-20.

Thanks,
Mike
KD2RPE

Not so sure that X band is for end users. I'd read on the L band support though.
In the interim decoding the Meteor sats is quite fun. A bit more involved than NOAA sats. But real good high res images without much work. I'm using a home brew QFH made from 1/2 inch hardline coax. It works well for 137mHz from around 5 degrees H-H.
I get lazy and don't switch antennas and it works okay for 2 meters, air band, and up to around 160mHz.

I'm using an RSP2. 9913 up to the sdr. Just the internal LNA.
I haven't researched much on L band and especially on POES sats at that frequency. GOES sats require a precise antenna and a dish (from what I gather). So even for JPSS orbiting sats I'd think a tracking system would be in order too.
It's been an extended project for me to find a heavy duty Pelco style az-el camera mount with feedback pots or provision to add encoders. Then go the Arduino route to tackle positioning. Tracking ham sats w/o spending a fortune is my dream.

Reactions: KE4EST and KD2RPE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts