NOAA-20 Receiving and Decoding

KD2RPE

Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
Illinois
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and I am excited to have found it!

I recently found out about NOAA-20 which is the newest weather bird. This satellite uses X Band downlink on 7812 MHz so much more challenging than NOAA-15/19. I google'd around and didn't really find too much help on this.

Here is info on the satellite itself:

I found this software to decode it but it is very much alpha at this moment. I reached out to him on Twitter with questions but have no heard back yet.

I currently have a SDRPlay RSPdx but that can only go up to 3GHz. A friend mentioned trying an LNB but I can't find one that is affordable to get me to X Band. I see that the Lime SDR has an optional board to get up to 10GHz but that is going to be over $500 for both boards.

Another factor is antennas. In playing ham radio I have never worked with microwave frequencies before so any reasonable antenna recommendations for 10GHz?

Any assistance that could be provided would be helpful. My goal is if I can get this working to write up a thorough technical document to help others pull down NOAA-20.

Thanks,
Mike
KD2RPE

Not so sure that X band is for end users. I'd read on the L band support though.
In the interim decoding the Meteor sats is quite fun. A bit more involved than NOAA sats. But real good high res images without much work. I'm using a home brew QFH made from 1/2 inch hardline coax. It works well for 137mHz from around 5 degrees H-H.
I get lazy and don't switch antennas and it works okay for 2 meters, air band, and up to around 160mHz.

I'm using an RSP2. 9913 up to the sdr. Just the internal LNA.
I haven't researched much on L band and especially on POES sats at that frequency. GOES sats require a precise antenna and a dish (from what I gather). So even for JPSS orbiting sats I'd think a tracking system would be in order too.
It's been an extended project for me to find a heavy duty Pelco style az-el camera mount with feedback pots or provision to add encoders. Then go the Arduino route to tackle positioning. Tracking ham sats w/o spending a fortune is my dream.

Reactions: KE4EST and KD2RPE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts