Noise canceling headphones

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
I'm looking for a decent set of noise canceling headphones for my girlfriend for Christmas. She wants over the ear and very comfortable. Sound quality is not as important as comfort. Any ideas? Would like to keep it under $100 but would entertain other price ranges if there was a good reason. Thanks!

I got a good pair of Sony NC phones. They work OK on an airplane which is what I think they were optimized for. They sell for $150 but I got them for free with American Express points. They are comfortable over the ear and fold up into a ball when not in use.

I think [url][URL="http://www.amazon.com/Se...05&sr=8-1"][COLOR="Blue"][B]these[/B][/COLOR] are the ones I have, for both my wife and myself, and we are quite happy with them. They work fairly well in flight and on trains. I've even used them with some success mowing. They fold up into an included carry case, with room for an MP3 player and Y cable.

If you want larger muffs, you might like [url][URL="http://www.amazon.com/JV...05&sr=8-5"][COLOR="Blue"][B]these[/B][/COLOR], which I've heard good things about also.

Or you could really waste your money on some over priced over advertised ones from a four letter word company, and I ain't talking Sony.

Or you could really waste your money on some over priced over advertised ones from a four letter word company, and I ain't talking Sony.

Since he said he doesn't care about sound quality, that would definitely include that company that spends 10x more on marketing than R&D, and whose products are endorsed on TV by luminaries in the audio world such as newspaper columnists.

Thanks for the ideas navy. Looks like there are some good ones there.

I have no desire to do anything Bose. Buddyboy you don't like the ones that navy suggested?

I cant say anything about the over the ear type other than that I don't believe that they would be as good as these which I have Amazon.com: JVC HAFX34B Marshmallow Headphones: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31nhhv12J1L.@@AMEPARAM@@31nhhv12J1L . The JVC's work just like ear plugs doing a good job of canceling out a great deal of ambient noise so that I barely hear 5 banks of blower cooling units each with 6 fans on high. Couple them with an ipod and you wont have any problem blocking out most noise and best of all their low price and work just as good as some of the $100+ models and they come in several colors.

I think I'll buy a pair to use at the health club. The other day I got on a bike, started using it, and within a few seconds I heard it making a clank,clank,clank sound. I thought screw this, I don't wanna hear that for the next half hour so I got on another bike. Some guy walks over gets on the bike that was making the noise and uses it. I ended up hearing it for the next half hour anyways. :D

Yep, I generally use an MP3 player with mine, too. About the only time I use MP3.

Van- I had a pair of those a few years ago. They did work OK for Jet noise but be careful with the little pads. Mine came off and lost them and then you can't use them as the little pipes left from the pads loss won't stay in your ear. They are more comfortable than the in ear type. Have fun with them. They carry very easy. Oh and FYI, they are not as good for Noise as the true NC phones.

I think these are the ones I have, for both my wife and myself, and we are quite happy with them. They work fairly well in flight and on trains. I've even used them with some success mowing. They fold up into an included carry case, with room for an MP3 player and Y cable.
I owned these Sennheisers before. They were nice too. They fell apart after a couple years of every day use on my hour long train ride into the city. Apart from that in-line battery case getting the way, and both of the sides having a cord, I really liked them. They had nice sound for the size/price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts