non hd channels

ronfelder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
south jersey
Just upgraded to an hdtv and now have a 722k receiver. I was wondering why though the following stations aren't in HD? They are WPSG-TV CW Philly channel 57, WHYY-TV Channel 12 Philly, WNJS-TV Camden C hannel 23, and WLVT-TV Channel 39 Allentown. These three stations are affiliated with PBS.

BTW. I do love the quality of the HD that's being transmitted.

Off sat or OTA

Just upgraded to an hdtv and now have a 722k receiver. I was wondering why though the following stations aren't in HD? They are WPSG-TV CW Philly channel 57, WHYY-TV Channel 12 Philly, WNJS-TV Camden C hannel 23, and WLVT-TV Channel 39 Allentown. These three stations are affiliated with PBS.

BTW. I do love the quality of the HD that's being transmitted.

Are you getting these of the sat or by TV antenna OTA?

Hook up an antenna to your receiver and get better quality HD from the big 4 plus a TON of secondary channels from the other stations OTA. It's well worth it. Depending on exactly where you live, you may only need a decent set of amplified rabbit ears.

As stated above, Dish only rebroadcasts the big 4 in HD in most markets right now. In New York they do WPIX (CW) in HD but that is the exception rather than the rule.

I don't mean to jack the thread but if I sign up for the Superstations will they be broadcast in HD?

Hook up an antenna to your receiver and get better quality HD from the big 4 plus a TON of secondary channels from the other stations OTA. It's well worth it. Depending on exactly where you live, you may only need a decent set of amplified rabbit ears.

As stated above, Dish only rebroadcasts the big 4 in HD in most markets right now. In New York they do WPIX (CW) in HD but that is the exception rather than the rule.

I notice on D* that they offer WHYY and WPSG in HD. How are they able to do so? Greater capacity?

The reason is strictly a business decision made by each company. DirectTV is making LESS markets available in HD than Dish at the moment but they are including PBS and Dish is not. The markets where Dish has additional HD locals like CW are because they were forced in order to carry other major networks or national channels. Dish has WPIX CW in NYC because that is the only way Tribune would allow WGN America HD nationwide!

The answer to every "so and so has X but the other guy doesn't" always comes down to a business decision. At that point it's up to you to choose what is important and select the company that provides most of what you want for the least amount you can pay.

Really, an antenna will give you a BETTER picture than satellite AND include all the sub-channels satellite (either one) don't carry.

See ya
Tony

BTW with an antenna hooked up to the DVR your locals will appear on the electronic program guide just like satellite channels except in yellow instead of the default color and for most stations you get the program listings so you can easily record any program just like the sat channels as long as you subscribe to the locals through Dish. Otherwise you just get a "Digital Service" listing.

See ya
Tony

I think that DISH was short sighted in not providing CW in hd as a super station. I mean in Beaumont we don't have an HD Cw over the air or on satellite. They don't even carry CW in our area on DISH or DIRECTV. I think it would help them get a bit of an edge over other companies, like cable and Directv if they did offer HD Cw stations ala carte or through the super stations pack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)