Non-HD content with HD receiver 4x3 instead of 16x9?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I remember a lot of sd programing on HD channels when HD started to become popular, by now you would think you wouldn't see it anymore. But I still find some HD channels with a lot of sd programing.

I have alot of "SD" channels that look like HD channels too.It's being broadcast in 4:3,but the format button(*) on the remote control corrects that.Normally to stretch the picture makes the subjects on screen look heavier,where partial zoom at least to me looks the best.:)

Most all SD programming is 4X3 and HD is 16X9 and should be that way. The reason is simple it was shot that way as that was the standard. If you fill the screen when it is SD you will either be stretching it or cropping the top & bottom. If you stretch it everyone will look like they need to go on diets really badly. It also is stretching an image that isn't that clear to start with and it looks worse for the wear by stretching it out and will so all the imperfections even more.

I will probably leave it as is but I still would like to understand the issue a bit better. The rectangles did not appear when I had an SD receiver and was watching these shows on my widescreen HD TV. What was done to the picture to fill the screen then?

If I were you, I'd leave the TV set to normal, and the receiver set to normal. If you're not using HDMI which may set this automatically, then by all means set 16X9 in your Dish receiver setup. The receive will automatically show both regular and widescreen correctly. Regular 4X3 will have black bars on the sides to preserve the aspect ratio on a widescreen TV. If you really want to zoom that SD channel to fill the screen horizontally, then you'll be chopping off the top and bottom!

Words of Wisdom to live by.:)

I will probably leave it as is but I still would like to understand the issue a bit better. The rectangles did not appear when I had an SD receiver and was watching these shows on my widescreen HD TV. What was done to the picture to fill the screen then?
Nothing, there is only one type of signal coming out of an SD receiver. So it had to be stretched some way to fill a 16X9 picture.

I understand the curiosity factor here. My daughter has a wide screen hd tv, connected to a COMCAST SD DVR using the rf in put it is that or composite. The out put fills the screen. None of the aspect settings on the remotes make any difference. The picture doesn't appear to be distorted although on some channels the crawler is partially outside the viewing area. If i had to watch it all the time i would pay for HD or put up a dish. Doesnt seem to be a priority for her. Just like the OP I wonder why it is the way it is...
I do understand the 16:9 4:3 format and all that but my example doesn't seem to fall into the stock explanation

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR Maxx using SatelliteGuys

Along the same lines does anyone else find it aggravating that station icons are still being placed on screen on the same location when all we had was a 4:3 screen?
I suppose they have too but i personally find it very distracting.

Ross

Indeed those bugs have become so obnoxious it spoils the whole program regardless of the on-screen location. DVRs don't help.

I understand the curiosity factor here. My daughter has a wide screen hd tv, connected to a COMCAST SD DVR using the rf in put it is that or composite. The out put fills the screen. None of the aspect settings on the remotes make any difference. The picture doesn't appear to be distorted although on some channels the crawler is partially outside the viewing area. If i had to watch it all the time i would pay for HD or put up a dish. Doesnt seem to be a priority for her. Just like the OP I wonder why it is the way it is...
I do understand the 16:9 4:3 format and all that but my example doesn't seem to fall into the stock explanation

Ross

Because it is an SDDVR it does not have the ability to show an HD picture or recording,it is in SD.The HDTV must be set on a setting that makes it fill the screen,otherwise the picture should have black bars on the sides of the picture.

To find the answer to your question I would look in the HDTV's Owners Manual.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts