Non-linear Stretch Option For 4x3 material?

GreatMac

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 19, 2005
I am fairly sure there is no such option, but it seems like a grave omission: Many Voom customers have HD displays (which are 16x9), but still watch some SD programming, which is 4x3. The two options I see available either create short fat people (when image is stretched), or crop the top and bottom of the image. Most HD monitors cannot do non-linear stretch when fed through HD input.

Non-linear stretch would go a long way to make watching 4x3 material more enjoyable. It should be a fairly easy option to add.

GreatMac said:
Most HD monitors cannot do non-linear stretch when fed through HD input.

Yes agree the VOOM stretch sucks. However, I just got finished with 3 months of HD monitor research...and can't recall one set that was not capable of doing 4:3 stretches over the HD inputs (I was looking at Hitachi/Sony/Toshiba CRT RPTV and Sony/Panasonic LCD RPTV).

Rob.

Don't know RPTVs. Virtually none of the plasmas do it on their HD/computer inputs (I have a Panasonic), and the same goes for most LCDs that I have seen (I have Syntax 30"). Some may do it if fed 480, but not with anything higher.

GreatMac said:
Don't know RPTVs. Virtually none of the plasmas do it on their HD/computer inputs (I have a Panasonic), and the same goes for most LCDs that I have seen (I have Syntax 30"). Some may do it if fed 480, but not with anything higher.

Okay interesting...did not know about plasma/direct view LCD. I believe all formats above 480 are only 16:9 anyway though (480i=4:3, 480p=4:3/16:9, 720p=16:9, 1080i/p=16:9)?

rvsixer said:
... I believe all formats above 480 are only 16:9 anyway though (480i=4:3, 480p=4:3/16:9, 720p=16:9, 1080i/p=16:9)?

You are right about the formats. I guess it gets up-converted depending on the input and this is why it doesn't allow the non-linear stretch option (e.g. S-Video in allows non-linear stretch, but component or VGA in do not.)

Wish Voom would get a programmer to spend a day on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)