Non-standard install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ruralVA

Original poster
Mar 12, 2008
Hi. I am hoping for some advice on my hoped-for upgrade to DTV HD. I have been a subscriber for over 10 years, with a single SD receiver in my family room. When I first got an HD-capable set, I ordered an HD upgrade from DTV. The installers came, but told me they could not get a good enough signal from the sats, due to trees. I would still like to get HD, and cable is not an option at my rural location. So, what I need to be able to do is pole-mount the HD dish at the southern end of my property, where there are no trees in the way, then run the cable back to the house--maybe 150-200 feet. Then, I would like to add 2 HD receivers (basement and bedroom), keeping the SD receiver in my family room, where I will use a smaller set for news programs. My question is, will that solution work, who do I get to do it, and how much is it likely to cost? The ground between the proposed dish site and the house is pretty level, partly woods and partly lawn. Sorry for the long post, but my problem is complicated (at least to me). Any advice would be welcome.

Hi. I am hoping for some advice on my hoped-for upgrade to DTV HD. I have been a subscriber for over 10 years, with a single SD receiver in my family room. When I first got an HD-capable set, I ordered an HD upgrade from DTV. The installers came, but told me they could not get a good enough signal from the sats, due to trees. I would still like to get HD, and cable is not an option at my rural location. So, what I need to be able to do is pole-mount the HD dish at the southern end of my property, where there are no trees in the way, then run the cable back to the house--maybe 150-200 feet. Then, I would like to add 2 HD receivers (basement and bedroom), keeping the SD receiver in my family room, where I will use a smaller set for news programs. My question is, will that solution work, who do I get to do it, and how much is it likely to cost? The ground between the proposed dish site and the house is pretty level, partly woods and partly lawn. Sorry for the long post, but my problem is complicated (at least to me). Any advice would be welcome.

I would not find this to be Non standard, well not like some anyways.
IF you want to do alot of the work yourself, you can mount the pole, make certian it is plumb, needs to be 2" OD, I would dig a hole when you get the pole, drill a hole in one end and place a bolt thru it, this will keep it from turning in the future. I would go down about 30" and place the pole and fill it with concrete, making sure that it is still plumb.

You mentioned 2 HD rec's and you also mentioned a HD DVR as well as the current SD rec.
You would want 2 runs for EACH DVR, a single run would do for the HD rec. and a single run for the SD rec.

So 1 HD DVR (2) , 2 HD rec. (2) and 1 SD rec. (1), so you would need a total of 5 runs, the new 5 LNB dishes handle up to 4 runs, so you would need a WB 68 multiswitch, (when you order this set up, make sure D* knows about all these and they will get you the WB68 for free)
They will also do the set up and pointing of the dish for you, free install.

I would run 4 lines from the dish to the house and place the MS on the house, then run your other lines to the rec's from there.
The WB68 will handle up to 8 rec's. remember a DVR takes 2 tuners, so 2 lines.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts