Noob - FTA - HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sonymsam

Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Houston TX
HI Guys,
I have been visiting an reading your posts back and forth. I have too much information that is being processed and I guess I am confused now :confused:
I apologize if I sound stupid or dumb. I just have too much information on my head!! I did search for my answers but most of the posts were either too technical for me or not quite related to my situation.

All I need is YOUR EXPERT OPINION :)

NOTE: I have a Openbox S10 found World Direct Dish($50) and Dish 1000 plus($70) for cheap (i guess)
I have uploaded pictures of the options(Dishes) I mentioned. I haven't bought them yet but I am planning to.

Following are my questions/issues :

1) I want to get FTA channels (Legally), What all equipments(dish antenna(s), switch(s)) I need for the following:
- What would I need to get Local (American Channels)?
- What would I need to get International Channels (Indian channels)?

2) Can I use Directv - World Direct Dish (it's 24" X 36")? (Linear and Dual LNBFs for 95° West and 101° West satellites and Zinwell Multi-switch Model SAM4402-3A)
- If not What do i need to do?

3) Can I use Dish 1000 Plus Dish Antenna? (1 DP Dual Band LNBF, two DP Dual LNBF and a DPP 44 switch)
- If not What do i need to do?

4) Would you recommend purchasing a 30" dish? If yes, what else do I need with it for international channels and US channels.

Please let me know what needs to be done :)

Thanks a lot guys,

you guys are awesome!

sonymsam

Attachments

• Dish Plus.jpg
    Dish Plus.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 177
  • DPP44 switch.jpg
    DPP44 switch.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 175
  • LNBF Dish.jpg
    LNBF Dish.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 167
  • LNBF.jpg
    LNBF.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 175
  • World direct Dish.jpg
    World direct Dish.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 175
  • Zinwell.jpg
    Zinwell.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
If you have an Openbox receiver, it should do the job.
If you are shopping, I would recommend the microHD from SatelliteAV.
We even have a special forum department for it.

The Dish 1000 is useless for FTA.

If you can find a dish for free, the World Direct (and only that model) will work as-is.
You only use the main linear LNB, not the circular one.

If you are spending money on a dish, I would recommend a 36" model, and nothing smaller.
Some day you will be glad of that decision.
SatelliteAV has a nice 36" with PLL LNBF for around $89, including shipping.
Alternately, check out his M1 kit with dish, LNB, & receiver.

If you have an Openbox receiver, it should do the job.
If you are shopping, I would recommend the microHD from SatelliteAV.
We even have a special forum department for it.

The Dish 1000 is useless for FTA.

If you can find a dish for free, the World Direct (and only that model) will work as-is.
You only use the main linear LNB, not the circular one.

If you are spending money on a dish, I would recommend a 36" model, and nothing smaller.
Some day you will be glad of that decision.
SatelliteAV has a nice 36" with PLL LNBF for around $89, including shipping.
Alternately, check out his M1 kit with dish, LNB, & receiver.

So If I get the World Direct Dish which is 24"x36" and switch one of the LNB with a Standard LNB, do you think it will work? I mean Will I be able to watch International as well as US Channels?

I already have a Openbox S10(Got it from Amazon- have 29 days to return it :D) So, I do not want to purchase a MicroHD.

With the world direct dish you would just use the linear lnb and if you hit the satellite at 97* Galaxy 25, you will find over 200 international channels for free. You can swing over to the AMC 9 satellite at 83* and scan it in to get three channels called tuff,pbj,and rtv. Rtv and pbj have classic shows and the tuff is a fighting channel. the best part will be scanning and hunting for feeds such as sports and news. the best sats for sports feeds will be 85,87,91,and 105. The best for news feeds will be 89,91,and 99. If you need spanish channels you can get them on 87,93,and 113. Also a few feeds on 72.

All in all you will be happy! trust me, and eventually you might wanna get a motor and make your dish movable without having to do it manually each time, however you want to read up on the motor installation a bit before buying one, it can take a bit to learn how to install one the correct way.

Good Luck! Welcome to a great hobby! Any time you have questions just ask!

With the world direct dish you would just use the linear lnb and if you hit the satellite at 97* Galaxy 25, you will find over 200 international channels for free. You can swing over to the AMC 9 satellite at 83* and scan it in to get three channels called tuff,pbj,and rtv. Rtv and pbj have classic shows and the tuff is a fighting channel. the best part will be scanning and hunting for feeds such as sports and news. the best sats for sports feeds will be 85,87,91,and 105. The best for news feeds will be 89,91,and 99. If you need spanish channels you can get them on 87,93,and 113. Also a few feeds on 72.

All in all you will be happy! trust me, and eventually you might wanna get a motor and make your dish movable without having to do it manually each time, however you want to read up on the motor installation a bit before buying one, it can take a bit to learn how to install one the correct way.

Good Luck! Welcome to a great hobby! Any time you have questions just ask!

Thanks for the awesome answer. I will surely buy the World Direct and may be like you said I will play around later when I kinda learn more about the whole FTA thing.

One last question : The lists on Lyngsat are they the only possible channels that can be viewed depending on my location? or they are something else? I googled Galaxy 25 and lyngsat showed me hardly 8-10 channels.

Names mean almost nothing for the birds.... Position means everything. 97W right now at G19 --- at least it was the day before yesterday! G25 was an old name for 97W.

If you are going to put out MONEY for a dish --- agreeing with Anole --- buy one that will have FTA support. Check the price of The one from satellite AV -- and I recommend not spending more than half his price for a used dish, unless it is bigger and has FTA forum support.

You asked for expert opinion... Check post counts. Anole at over 9,000 could be considered an expert. I think he said "If you have" not "If you buy"... 'Nuf said.

The LIST at the top of most pages is easier to understand than Lyngsat, for a beginner like me. It gives you positions as well names - together - so you can tell if you are looking at apples to apples or apples to coyotes!

yes i agree don't spend a lot on those small dishes ... since your posting a location from Houston, Sadoun's is located there call and price a dish
he might even have a special .... i personally like free ( primestar dishes are great and usually can find them for free ) craigslist is also a place to hunt them

Oh, wait....

The OP asked specifically about Indian channels. There isn't a whole lot from India up there, but anything that is (and FTA) would be on 97W. I have seen some Indian programming rebroadcast on a few of the Middle Eastern channels, such as KTV 2, Simay-Azadi, and I think a couple of others (I can't recall if I saw programming on the new Macedonian channels MKTV Sat 1 & 2 or not). From Pakistan, there is the Madani Channel (Urdu language: Islamic religious channel). In the Urdu language, there is the Velayat Channel and soon Peace TV (both are Islamic religious channel). There is Nooor TV, geared toward Afghan homes. Lots of stuff in Farsi for the Persian community. But the only channel that I'm aware of that is from India is Divine TV (Christian religious channel), although there are a few radio stations, too.

That's the nature of FTA. You get a mix of things that are very unique, but you might not always get everything you want :) If you are seeking more, Globecast TV offers a subscription to Malayalam language services from India for $24/month. You would need to buy a receiver from them. Details: http://www.globecastwtv.com/america/WhatsOnWTV/RegionalPackages.aspx Dishnet also offers a wider variety of South Asian packages, which also require their special receiver and a subscription: http://www.dish.com/entertainment/packages/international/?Region=southasian#international

I don't want to discourage you from this great hobby, but I also hope you aren't disappointed! Best wishes :)

I am using a dishnetwork Turbo HD dish right now without a motor that is aimed at 97w. I get over 200 channels on that satellite.
I even played with an 500 dish and I was able to get a few channels.
I had to extend the LNBF arm by about 1-2 inches to get focal point right for the linear LNBF.
But, those dishes are not for folks that are new to FTA and have no experience with FTA, since those dishes are tricky to aim since they are smaller than recommended.
A smaller dish receives a weaker signal so the aiming has to be more precise and when it is raining, snowing or even overcast there is a good chance that you will loose the signal that is inherit with KU signals.

A 36'' or bigger would be way easier to aim for an beginner since it can receive more/better signals. At a later time you can add an motor to it which can be bought off the shelf and added to the 36'' or bigger dish without modifications.
Modifications will or may be necessary if you try to add an motor to an dishnetwork or direct TV dish at a later time.
Remember FTA signals are weaker than those signals broadcasted by commercial satellites, so her again...bigger is better.
A lot of used dishnetwork and dirct tv dishes sell for about $50, if you add a few more $'s you get a dish that is bigger and is made for FTA.

If you have room in your yard, you may want to look into a c-band system also which could give you ku and c signals at the same time.

Do you want to setup only one TV or multiple tv's ? Your hardware setup would be different for that.

The only part about that World Direct dish I don't like, is the $50!
At perhaps $25, I'd say jump on it.
If you get a dish from Sadoun, don't go for a 30-32" unit.
The World Direct will *probably* outperform it.

Also, forget about replacing the circular LNBF on the World dish.
That discussion is more for once you are receiving signals & watching TV. :)

I agree with Anole... Even the larger subscription service dishes such as the DTV International and the Dish Network Superdish really aren't worth a lot of money. They are not as capable as a 36" dish, and if I were to spend $50, I'd spend the extra $30-$40 on a real FTA dish that will get you the weaker transponders.

Another thing to consider is that the subscription dishes are rather easy to find for free. Just yesterday, I dragged a DTV Slimline (the new DTV dish used for Ka-Band) out of a dumpster. It was complete with monopole and J-pole mounts, and with a simple modification and replacement of the LNBF stack, it can be used for FTA as effectively as the International and the Superdish. Discarded Slimlines are everywhere these days.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts