Noob HD Lite confusion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rob67

Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
I keep hearing about HD Lite and how both satellite providors do this. I am a long time cable customer, forced to switch cause I moved and got stuck with Charter (they suck...no NFL Network).

I was used to Comcast. Say what you want but they had the best looking HD channels I have seen on my 57", ISF calibrated, 1080i set.

In making the switch to D*, should I be worried about PQ? DO they down res all HD channels? I am getting the 5Lnb dish and the H20 set top. So, that meens mpeg4.

Can anyone point me to some detailed info on HD Lite and the channels it affects?

I have read in these forums about some people complaining about it, and then those (who seem to be satellite fanboys! LOL!) who complain about those who are complaining.

I just want the facts.

Thanks in advance!

HDlite, effects TNTHD, HBOHD, SHOHD, DISCHD, HDNet, and HDNET movies, no one knows if it effects locals or any future additions, this is the second thread in less then an hour, like I said in the other thread, dont worry about it now, if you are really worried about HDlite (as its called, go to another provider), because if you are this concerend about it before your tv service gets turned on, and its in your head, then you will probably not be happy. Also their is a channel chart floating around, how up to date it is, I cant answer I will do my best to find it for you so you can see the bit rates and resoloution

Everyone's setup is different so you will get varying thoughts on info; AND it IS happening on all providers, so make your provider selection by the overall content, service and price and be done with it. If you are this predisposed to the thought of bad PQ I think you are going to see what you want.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
Everyone's setup is different so you will get varying thoughts on info; AND it IS happening on all providers, so make your provider selection by the overall content, service and price and be done with it. If you are this predisposed to the thought of bad PQ I think you are going to see what you want.

Well...I do have a trained eye and I am knowledgeable about HD. Just not the satellite flavors which is why I ask.
I really would have no need to switch but I moved to Detroit from Pittsburgh and Charter Cable doesn’t get the NFL Network. The Sunday Ticket was too good to pass up at the deal I got. (Gotta see all the Steeler games)

I do know a good HD picture when I see one and I do have an ISF calibrated RPTV with a picture so good that it will magnify signal and quality issues. I just want the facts before I buy. Comcast had a pretty good rep for having a great HD signal on all channels (especially those mentioned above). I also know that the government did distinguish what High Def is and less then that shouldn't techically be marketed as true HD. But that's another issue.

If I do get D*, at least I will be able to make a comparison and then make an informed decision afterwards.

I plan on keeping my cable box around for a day or two to compare quality.

As do I running a 119" FPTV but my point is both DBS companies are down rezzing and if it that big of an issue and you are mostly satisfied with your current situation except for one channel and a ST pack why go through the hassle? Neither cable nor DBS have the 100% perfect solution, thats why people have to make an overall choice like I described. They all lack in one areas or another and I can't see having all that hardware and cabling added over one channel and the ST if you MIGHT have it removed 2 weeks later; maybe I am missing any other points? Do you have a buddy or somewhere you can test it out first?

No...I really didn't make many points about my decision to try it. That has already been decided. Sunday Ticket was a big reason while Charter being terrible, is the other. I can tell the quality difference going from Comcast to Charter in HD so I can't see it being much worse.

I am more interested on the facts around HD Lite. I am just asking if there IS much of a difference.

Thanks for the advice though.

Rob67 said:
No...I really didn't make many points about my decision to try it. That has already been decided. Sunday Ticket was a big reason while Charter being terrible, is the other. I can tell the quality difference going from Comcast to Charter in HD so I can't see it being much worse.

I am more interested on the facts around HD Lite. I am just asking if there IS much of a difference.

Thanks for the advice though.

what I would say is this, I got Directv for the steelers, and I am happy waiting till next year, I am sure Directv will do the right thing when they get mpeg4 up and going great, I am just worried like charper said that you are thinking it before you are going in, you are going to see it. Just like my football coach use to say, we can lose the game before we play just by thinking they are better then us (said this when we played the #1 ranked team).

charper1 said:
As do I running a 119" FPTV but my point is both DBS companies are down rezzing and if it that big of an issue and you are mostly satisfied with your current situation except for one channel and a ST pack why go through the hassle? Neither cable nor DBS have the 100% perfect solution, thats why people have to make an overall choice like I described. They all lack in one areas or another and I can't see having all that hardware and cabling added over one channel and the ST if you MIGHT have it removed 2 weeks later; maybe I am missing any other points? Do you have a buddy or somewhere you can test it out first?

119" :eek: I am bring over some knob creek and the xbox 360 :D

Well I have no problem with anyone stopping by when in town, but sorry no game consoles on the FPTV; we kept our 65" RPTV it replaced for that. I have the Knob creek and Jim Beam Black on-hand. You bring the cigars.

stuart628 said:
what I would say is this, I got Directv for the steelers, and I am happy waiting till next year, I am sure Directv will do the right thing when they get mpeg4 up and going great, I am just worried like charper said that you are thinking it before you are going in, you are going to see it. Just like my football coach use to say, we can lose the game before we play just by thinking they are better then us (said this when we played the #1 ranked team).

I understand what you are saying but I don't see anything wrong with being informed ahead of time. I want to know what I am getting.

I am not looking for worse...just curious of what I am getting. I will know it when I see it anyway.

It scares me when people who have it say "Don't worry about it...if you are looking for it it will be there!!:rolleyes: " as opposed to "Don't worry, you can't really tell, it looks great!"

Rob67 said:
I understand what you are saying but I don't see anything wrong with being informed ahead of time. I want to know what I am getting.

I am not looking for worse...just curious of what I am getting. I will know it when I see it anyway.

It scares me when people who have it say "Don't worry about it...if you are looking for it it will be there!!:rolleyes: " as opposed to "Don't worry, you can't really tell, it looks great!"

I dont say that anymore, because to me and my 46" sony RPTV, it looks great, and I dont complain, but I said that and people come back and say it looks like crap...Your mileage may vary.

Rob I would point you to the thread I authored but it has been archived off. DirecTV signal transmission is optimized for 4:3 sets less than 36" in size. That said ... I'll bet all providers are. IMHO, "provider" HD is not eye-popping at all, especially when compared to OTA signals. I am watching the OSU vs TX game right now and the PQ is fine and there is no question it's HDTV. NFLST PQ has always been top shelf in HD. If I could stop the ABC artifacting I would be happier.

I too remember the days of seeing blades of grass in baseball games and second deck snow in hockey. Unless the HD is from HDNet or my local NBC affilate ... those days appear to be gone. BUt I am not leavin D* ... now am I ...

slacker9876 said:
Rob I would point you to the thread I authored but it has been archived off. DirecTV signal transmission is optimized for 4:3 sets less than 36" in size. That said ... I'll bet all providers are. IMHO, "provider" HD is not eye-popping at all, especially when compared to OTA signals. I am watching the OSU vs TX game right now and the PQ is fine and there is no question it's HDTV. NFLST PQ has always been top shelf in HD. If I could stop the ABC artifacting I would be happier.

I too remember the days of seeing blades of grass in baseball games and second deck snow in hockey. Unless the HD is from HDNet or my local NBC affilate ... those days appear to be gone. BUt I am not leavin D* ... now am I ...

Thanks for the info.

I had it installed this weekend and can say that I am not really let down. The channel selection, alone, was an upgrade and ESPH HD was a **gasp** improvement over Charter cable. They must seriously compress their signal!

I do not have an OTA antenna set up, though. So, I can't compare D* vs. antenna for HD. But it looks comparable to the cable versions.
I do like the options and filters available on the H20 over the older cable Motorola box.

NFL ST looked great and worked as advertised. Although you would think they would put the Red Zone and game tracker channels on HD.

The bonuses outweigh the negatives so far. My only gripe is dish placement. I can't do the roof as I am part of a condo/townhouse (4 unit building) and it would void the roof warranty. So, we put the dish on a pole just to the side of my garage. It is very unsightly here and I may have it moved.

I love that I can get FSN Pittsburgh.

slacker9876 said:
DirecTV signal transmission is optimized for 4:3 sets less than 36" in size. That said ... I'll bet all providers are.

This is an interesting statement. Do you have any links or statements that reference this? I find it interesting in that almost all of the newer sets are HD ready and mostly on the larger side of 36"

I have a feeling that the downresing of these signals may change in the future.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

What HD channels does DIsh have thet everyone

DirecTV or Dish??? Help!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts