NoooBee questions :)

Lobstah

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 6, 2004
The installer left about 2hrs ago.
I've had several lockups since then, but I'm not sure if this is because it's still downloading program data, or if it's still doing a software upgrade, or if there is some other problem.

First, I have no phoneline connected. The installer said that it was needed for "Guide info", but I find it hard to believe that VOOM is going to update program guides using my phoneline? Can someone verify this?

How long does it take for guide information (and everything else) to settle down so that the system is stable? Every time we tune to certain channels, we get lockup, like on HGTV-715, or whatever is on 122. Either one of those and we have to get up, go hold the button for 5secs and then wait.

Do I have a problem?...or am I being impatient? :)

Lob

***edit***

I just answered part of my own question. I checked one of my other boxes and it has program info, so I know I don't need the phone line connected :)

But that box locks up on the same channels, so whatever my problem, it's not isolated to just one box :)

How long does it take to get program listings downloaded?

Answer to your question...

Just got my voom. It took me about a full 24h hrs to get my update and program guide. There's nothing you can do but wait. Don't worry, yours will come soon. As far as the update, it fixes all of those problems you mentioned in your post. After that it's a breeze. No freezing, full program guide etc... It's probably the best service I've had. The picture is amazing.

SaCRed_oNe said:
Just got my voom. It took me about a full 24h hrs to get my update and program guide. There's nothing you can do but wait. Don't worry, yours will come soon. As far as the update, it fixes all of those problems you mentioned in your post. After that it's a breeze. No freezing, full program guide etc... It's probably the best service I've had. The picture is amazing.
Cetainly didnt fix my problems here, lots of freezing on just about every channel, unwatchable VOOM

stevesmall said:
Cetainly didnt fix my problems here, lots of freezing on just about every channel, unwatchable VOOM
These are symptoms of weak signal. Check your satellite signal quality readings. I bet they are below 90. If so, your dish needs to be re-peaked. Call VOOM and request service.

Lobstah, are you still getting lockups on specific channels? Which channels?

No...no more lockups. The update fixed that, thanks.
Still putzing around with the OTA stuff though. When I do a scan, some of the channels that read 85 or 90 for signal strength won't tune.

Lob

lock-ups

Lock ups were a problem with software version 6.00. This problem was resolved with version 6.20. If you are having a problem with receiver freezing then you can check your software version by pressing the Voom button on the remote, then pressing the help button, and lastly, press the info button. Look on the third line down NEP: current version should be 726. If you don't want to wait all night for the current download then you can force a download by pressing the Voom button, then Green button, highlight system settings (press ok on warning), highlight installer menu, ok, highlight installation menu and press ok, highlight verify voom and press ok, then press the green button one more time, system will inform you that there are downloads available, download now or later? highllight now and press ok. system will then restart itself and then start the download. If you have version 600 then the download should complete in about fifteen minutes, depending on weather. If, for some reason, this doesn't work for you then press the watch button and when your tired of being froze out place receiver in standby mode (Sat button) and download should start about 2:00 am est

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts