Northwest Florida Voom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

timfouts

Referees whistle at work
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
Pace, Santa Rosa County, FL
My ota channel maps are not properly mapped in the receiver. WB channel 53, WHBR 33, WKRG 2nd DT missing, WSRE 3rd DT

DSR 920 & 922, HDD200, GI 650i, Pansat 330A, H-H Ajak 21 WL to 139 WL, 24" Superjack, 8.5' &10' Orbitron both 15/.06 C/KU Co-Rotor II, Voom(DSR550), DTV Hughes Platinum HD w/triple, Dish Pro 301 & Dish 6000 HD w/61.5 & Dish 500, Pioneer VSX811s, all protected by Monster Power HTS 3500 and Panamax Sat strip, and viewed on Hitachi 53FDX01B while sitting on Berkline Theater Group mounted on Clark Synthesizer Platinum Tactile Transducer

timfouts said:
My ota channel maps are not properly mapped in the receiver. WB channel 53, WHBR 33, WKRG 2nd DT missing, WSRE 3rd DT
r

hello Tim & welcome - i see you started a panhandle thread - good deal! There are various methods to accomplish getting mapped. if you use this thread http://satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=9741 sean will be of great help. Just send your zip, name, etc and a discription of the problem. before you do that make sure the channel are mapped(or should be) by going to http://tvlistings4.zap2it.com/cabdbs/zipcode.asp?partner_id=cabdbs. if the channels show up in zap2it they can fix pretty quick. sometimes even things like rebooting from the front power button will bring in missing items such as program quide info. also, get familiar with the system setup menu as it will indicate numbers directly relavant to signal strength and how many channels are available. laters....
dave

edit: also, by the amount of gear you have i assume you've used antennaweb.org to ensure availability and digitallity along with direction, and if none of this works, voom will upgrade for free to more powerful antenna if needed

North West Florida

I live in Panama City on the Gulf Coast. Any VOOMers in Pensacola to Tallahhassee, Howr's the reception

Hello!
Im in Pensacola and will be vooming as of 4/21 *HOPEFULLY*. Ill make sure and tell you what my setup is capable of after the install. :cool:

whoa - i'm in the central fl thread but monitor here too. Good luck w/ your pcola install today - post it up how it goes. I lived in Sopchoppy for 5 years(50 mi SW of Tally). See ya

In the Garcon Point area of Milton, Florida here which is about 15 minutes east of Pensacola. I am supposed to be Vooming on April 26th between 8am and noon.
Looking forward to it. I have had a 65" HDTV for about 8 months now, but haven't attempted to take advantage of the HD capability till now.

Well my install went GREAT!!! Anyone in the NWFL area that is getting VOOM, if you can request Odis King from Satellite & Technology Solutions I would HIGHLY recommend this guy! Im getting great picture and my OTA locals were up and popping like popcorn! DAMN this voom stuff kicks MUCH ass!!!!

Hi guys,

I'm in Baker Fl. That's about 20mi NE of Milton. A few miles W of Crestview. I'm loving Voom but have trouble pulling in 2 "local" stations. WPMI, WSRE, WPMI, and WEAR max (or nearly max) my strength meter. But WALA and WKRG almost always register anywhere from 0 to 40 on signal strength and 0 to 35 on the quality meter. Not enough to make a picture. But once every week or two for a few hours they both come in at medium strength and they look beautiful... then they slowly fade away until they drop out and I'm left crying. It's very frustrating. These stations are not full power and are about 10 miles farther away from me. But even at 65 miles distance I think I should be able to get them with the right equipment. I've talked to tech people at both stations. WKRG is at 550KW ("full power" is typically 1000KW) and WALA is at a measely 16KW. WKRG is going to 1000KW and raising their tower to 2000ft within a year. I guess I'll just bide my time on that one. WALA says they have no plans to up their power. Seems unbeleivable but I was told that directly by their engineering department.

I'm on personnal quest to pull these stations in. My wife says "give it up" but I won't until I've tried everything. I bought a high gain antenna and amplifier but no joy. My next idea is to build a single frequency "really high" gain antenna (15db, for you techies) tuned to Channel 9 (WALA DT). They're actually quite simple to build and I like to tinker with stuff like that. I also have friends with antenna test equipment so I can be sure to get it right.

Is there anybody out there a similar distance from these towers with any better experience than me? If so I'd like to hear from you.

Signed,

Jealous in Baker

Panama City,Fl. voomer

I live in Panama city,Fl. in the St.Andrews area.
I have the 24"dish and voom will be installing a square shooter antenna for my ota reception next week,the reason for that,is my house is surrounded with large oak trees.
The picture from the sat.is awesome!
I had cable with 4 hd channels,but the price was too high for what you got.
My only complaint was having to wait four times for installation,the problem was not the installer,but voom not sending the equipment on time to the installer.
I would like to recommend my installer,Rodney,from Advanced Communications,located in Navarre Beach,Fl.
He was on time,friendly,and explained everything about the receiver.
As of this time,I am a very happy voom customer and recommend them over any other satilite system or cable system.
I finally got my new square shooter ota antenna up and set in the correct direction.In our area there are 18 dtv stations listed as under construction,I get abc,cbs,nbc-no sound though on nbc,and fsu.the cbs tower is 55 miles from me,but i get an excellent picture.if i had a rotor,then i would get the other stations,which are pbs stations,they are located in the opposite direction of my current stations.It seems to me,it would have been easier to have just included the major networks in the satilite broadcast instead of using ota.I'm happy with what I got,but just keep making it better.

Lynn Haven (Panama City)

Just got Voom installed for my parents in Panama City. The installer was by far the most knowledgable and courteous I've ever dealt with, whether it was Direct TV, Voom at my place, Comcast Cable, Knology Cable, etc. (He was actually based out of Valdosta, GA, btw.)

It was an *ordeal* though. He said that even though these Motorola STBs are junk, he's only had 1 not work so far. But today, 5 out the guy's 8 STBs were defective, not putting out voltage, or something like that. He couldn't believe it. And Voom kept having to hit the 3 that worked before all the channels would come in. He was here for about 6 hours, working well into the dark. (Some of that time, though, was spent mounting a pole, clearing brush, burying the cable, etc.)

As of now the only problem is that we only get NBC (no sound), CBS, and PBS. No Fox or ABC, which is a *big* problem since my father *must* have the football games on those stations. He says he'll try a slightly better OTA antenna tomorrow, one that's far less attractive. But he's not too optimistic that it will work; he thinks it might take an omnidirectional square shooter like maddog has. And Voom probably won't authorize that.

Maybe we'll have to see if we can get some sort of a lifeline, locals only package from one of the local cable companies... If not, my parents may immediately drop Voom.

Oh, btw, by default, we got a 24" dish (round, not elliptical). In Jacksonville, where I live, they gave us the 18" dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)