Norton's shutdown my SatGuys connection due to possible "attack"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cebbigh said:
Norton and McAffee were nowhere as effective as using the combo my local mom and pop computer store recommended of ZoneAlarm, NOD32, Spybot (free), and
Ad-Aware SE (also free).

I went that route for a few years. Not bad but most people do not want to do manual updates of the software and manual run the programs.

VIPERS-PIT said:
Sounds like someone is port scanning your ip address.
Well, it's only on Satguys and is the same message everyone else is getting. I am behind a couple firewalls and routers and I just redirected the request on my main router to a blackhole on my other router ( a cisco 1800 series).
Plus if they were port scanning me, I should see traffice on my honey pot in the DMZ and I see nothing like that in the logs.

I use NIS for all the PC's on my home network as I don't konw what the kids and wife are up to all the time and like the pop ups to alert them to stuff they are doing.

Last edited:
Man - how do you guys know all this sh*t.:)

Anyway, Charper helped me out and I endup putting SayGuys on my exclusion site so I no longer get blocked out for 30 minutes. I still get the NIS alert pop-up for pages 3, 4 & 5 of that thread but at least I'm not blocked out.

So, would one of you smart guys take pity on this poor 'ol, techno-challenged soul and explain why certain threads that do this and also, is there any danger to my computor leaving SatGuys on the exclusion list.

Thanks

rad said:
Walt's not the only one getting this, I just got one this evening:

Attempted Intrusion "ICC Profile TagData Overflow" against your machine was detected and blocked.
Intruder: www.satelliteguys.us(65.99.220.89)(http(80)).

Now you've done it.

When I got it, it was a "fluke". Then SatinKzo & Dishpointer reported it and it became an "incident". Now it's looking more like a full blown conspiracy .:D

laff.

Just for those curious, I have not seen the error again in my logs or in any redirects to the blackhole on my secondary router. So it appears to have been a 1 day problem for me.

I haven't received the warning since Friday and since Walt helped me fix NIS, I don't think I'll see it again. We'll see.

From the Symantec Security Response:

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/attack_sigs/s21196.html

"ICC Profile data may possibly be embedded in various file formats, including JPEG, GIF, EXIF, TIFF, PNG, PICT, PDF, PostScript, SVG, JDF, and CSS3. Some of these formats may not provide an attack vector, especially if Microsoft does not provide native support or does not call the vulnerable functionality when handling certain formats. Formats that may not be affected due to lack of native support are PDF, PICT, and PostScript, though this has not been confirmed.

Successful exploitation may result in execution of arbitrary code in the context of the currently logged in user. This vulnerability could be exploited through a Web site that hosts a malicious document, by previewing or opening malicious content in email, or through other means that will allow an attacker to send the victim a malicious document."

Could it be that one of the pictures from all those adds has embedded ICC profile data?

BTW, this vulnerability was discovered on July 12. Symantec added it to their definition files shortly after that. Walt initial post was on July 16.

Last edited:
Dishpointer said:
I haven't received the warning since Friday and since Walt helped me fix NIS, I don't think I'll see it again. We'll see.

Charper deserves the credit for that - I just passed it along.

I guess it's clear now that it's not just my computer. What's not clear is why some with NIS experience the problem while others don't.

It might have something to do with those that have both been on SatGuys and also using NIS for a while (upgraded previous versions) versus those that, although on SatGuys a while, just recently installed NIS new for '06. Just speculating there.

BTW, has anyone that was getting the alert gotten it to stop after taking the Windows update? I didn't.

Even reconfiguring NIS to exclude this site didn't stop the alerts on the troublesome threads - it just stopped NIS from temporally restricting my access to the site.

Anyway, I guess the big question is are those of us configuring our NIS to "exclude" SatGuys "realistically" vulnerable to port invasion or not?

Get Zone Alarms firewall, its free. Get Computer Associates virus protection, its free. Get web defender for spy protection, its free.

This is not to knock others choices, but personally, I refuse to ever have zonealarm on my computer again and I detest Computer Associates company in general (used to business with them)

I could also recommend that you check with your HSI provider, many offer free security packages as well. While I don't recommend 2 firewalls on the same PC or two virus scan programs, I do frequently use Spybot and Ad-Aware.

Norton's consumer stuff has sucked for a long time. I still use their corporate edition AV client but none of their other stuff is allowed anywhere near any machine I am responsible for.

"I still use their corporate edition AV client "

I really like their Corporate Edition AV client, it's the best and that's all I use. I agree the home edition or NIS is horrible.

I hopped on my son's Dimension to check out these threads since it has NIS 2006. It had no complaints. If I read the ICC exploit correctly, firewalls would not help since the additional code would be requested by the ICC-embedded exploit code, probably through your browser. XP's built-in firewall would only help if the exploiter tried to get back in to your machine, assuming the exploit didn't program an exception for itself...

I have been having that problem with the same threads too. I get the same error as all of you mentioned. I am using NIS 2006. I think it's something wrong with Norton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)