Norton's shutdown my SatGuys connection due to possible "attack"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
damaged said:
All I saw was pages for faulty apps (Mozilla, WASD, HTTP server) or talking about how one could exploit (in a good way) features by using OpenVMS. One page talked about the buffer-overrun issue and how OpenVMS protects the stack.

Is OpenVMS perfect? No, it was written by human beings. Would the Internet be a safer place if everyone used OpenVMS? I say yes. Does this have anything to do with Norton's and SatelliteGuys? Nope, nada. I'll drop it here.

Last edited:
Foxbat said:
All I saw was pages for faulty apps (Mozilla, WASD, HTTP server) or talking about how one could exploit (in a good way) features by using OpenVMS. One page talked about the buffer-overrun issue and how OpenVMS protects the stack.

I suspect you only glanced at a few topics, are you saying this:
http://www.frsirt.com/english/advisories/2005/2275

and this:
http://www.securitytracker.com/alerts/2006/Jul/1016509.html

and ALL these (type openvms in the search box and hit Search):
http://www.securitytracker.com/search/search.html

Are 'good' exploits? Surely you jest.

Foxbat said:
Is OpenVMS perfect? No, it was written by human beings. Would the Internet be a safer place if everyone used OpenVMS? I say yes.

Once evreyone ran OpenVMS, that would be the new preferred target, and it would be no safer than it is now.

Do you REALLY think that migrating Windows users to OpenVMS is enough to make the internet more secure? The problems encounted on the Internet itself are attributed to the many holes in protocols (I don't care what OS you have, a well executed synflood will bring you to your knees) and/or bad/outdated policies (such as not using egress filtering), who runs what OS does not affect the Internet directly persae, an OS can only protect (or not) the machine that it is running on, the internet does not run an OS.

How many Windows users here know how to properly secure Windows much less OpenVMS, of those who don't, how many are willing to learn? What you suggest would likely make it WORSE, since you would have users who would not know how to, for example, disable an exploitable inetd service, or patch and recompile an explotable daemon, even if their life depended on it.

And look at the pricing, no average Joe User is gonna pay that, just to be safer:
http://www.wumpusware.com/cfusion/template.cfm?page1=wwprices

I do audits as part of my job, and I belong to several security mailing lists, and what you are suggesting is simply nonsense.

Last edited:
Damaged - You know people just love to bash MS, or whoever the big company of the month is. You will not change any ill-conceived perceptions.

I have always wanted to ask, where is 'South of Heaven' (your location) PM it if you prefer not to post it, but that is a title of a Slayer album as well.

charper1 said:
I have always wanted to ask, where is 'South of Heaven' (your location) PM it if you prefer not to post it, but that is a title of a Slayer album as well.

It refers to Hell (in my case, Florida), stolen from Slayer as you guessed.

charper1 said:
I got peeps in West Palm, Jensen Beach and Key Largo; you near any of those?

No, I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area. I do however drive to West Palm regularly to service a few clients there.

But of course. Besides, if we were all running OpenVMS, we'd probably be running DECnet, and then there would be under 65,000 nodes making up the Internet. Less room for the troublemakers, and like you said, a much higher price of admission.

Any more on this subject and we should move to The Pit...

(BTW, my grandmother was in Pompano, FL, not far from where the Goodyear blimp was stationed.)

Last edited:
It takes 2 to tango. ;)

Ahh, Pompano, I used to be in a band and we rented a warehouse there to practice in, I frequent there as well.

Sure, let's move this thread in another tangent...:)

As kids, we got to visit Grandma when we reached 10. When I got to go, She took me to a Polynessian-themed restaurant (can't remember the name) right off of Rt 1A (I think that's the main drag along the beach). She thought their Key-Lime pie was the best. I remember the hula dancers in the grass skirts... Also, we got to see Apollo 10 on the pad when we visited the Kennedy Space Center.

She bought me a cheap Diver's watch at some stores and it was rated to 8 atmospheres. She asked me if I knew what that meant, and I, in my 11-year-olds-know-everything voice, said, "Yes, that means they have tested the watch in 8 different atmospheres, like Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter..." One of those Art Linkletter moments.

Foxbat said:
Sure, let's move this thread in another tangent...:)

As kids, we got to visit Grandma when we reached 10. When I got to go, She took me to a Polynessian-themed restaurant (can't remember the name) right off of Rt 1A (I think that's the main drag along the beach). She thought their Key-Lime pie was the best. I remember the hula dancers in the grass skirts... Also, we got to see Apollo 10 on the pad when we visited the Kennedy Space Center.

She bought me a cheap Diver's watch at some stores and it was rated to 8 atmospheres. She asked me if I knew what that meant, and I, in my 11-year-olds-know-everything voice, said, "Yes, that means they have tested the watch in 8 different atmospheres, like Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter..." One of those Art Linkletter moments.

lol, a prime candidate for 'Kids Say The Darndest Things'. :)

charper1 said:
The Mai-Kai ?
Might have been. I was thinking "Tiki-Bar", but I have Lala on the brain...

There is a Tiki-Bar of the same block or two, Sherman's Tiki or something like that. Its a bar where the Mai-Kai is the restaurant; which is why it came to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)