Not bad for a smaller market:-)

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
Chattanooga Tennessee is a smaller market, but we have all the major networks now on VHF, Bounce, Antenna TV, Weathernation, The CW, METV, THIS, RETRO TV (low powered) PBS, Create, Knowledge, and now Comet. A little something for everyone from sci-fi, to weather, to African American programing, to movies, classic tv, sports, to drama. Its a NICE diversity of programming all right here in a smaller market, and the best part is its all FREE!! No "broadcast fee" or "regional sports fee" or DVR fee. Yes, I have Netflix for 8.99 a month on my ROKU, but I also get AMG TV, Smithsonian channel, YouTube, Pandora, and a heck of a lot more for free. So in total I pay roughly 69.00 per month for internet and Netflix and that is it for all this great programming. Not to mention all my DVD movies I have and stuff like CBS on demand programming I have just by going to the channels website. You can't beat all that with a 10 foot stick!! I'm a happy camper!!

You're tempting me either on a channel master DVR or TiVo, Ice...you should be a salesman for them...lol yes definitely something to record these shows on!!

Can you get channel 18 (W18DS-D) where your at? Its a low power station the 3ABN Network just sold to DTV America
I get 23.1-23.5, those are not the same stations, so no. But I can get 3ABN on a digital station out of Summerville, Ga and 3ABN on an analog station channel 30 from somewhere...lol it's so weak it's a lot of snow but I can see the logo and hear the sound.

You're tempting me either on a channel master DVR or TiVo, Ice...you should be a salesman for them...lol yes definitely something to record these shows on!!
I know you mentioned getting a recorder so thats why I brought it up :)

If you want something that records more than one item at a time I would say a Tivo Series 3. Make sure it has lifetime (so no fees and Tivo wont activate Series 3 anymore). You can put in up to a 2TB drive in it. The CM unit you have to put your own drive in but I have read the guide isnt as good (neither are the series recording settings)
Or there are 4 tuner Roamio units on amazon with lifetime for like $300. They have 4 tuners (the series 3 only have 2)

The other group who get CM units are the ones who would never get a Tivo even if they got it for free

The Tivo requires internet to update listings which it does once a day. I think the CM can get by with the PSIP info
But since you have internet its a moot point ;)

Reactions: andy_horton
Yeah, I was leaning towards a TiVo, so thanks for the advice. I looked into the channel master and don't think I'll be going that route. But I'm definitely going to get a DVR: -)
I have a TiVo Roamio OTA and love it. Not only will it record TV shows but it will integrate Netflix stuff and your recordings into one list of shows to watch. Very handy. But I wouldn't wait around as that $300 lifetime deal at Amazon won't last much longer. TiVo is likely to introduce an OTA-only version of their new Bolt before year end but I'm sure pricing will be higher if lifetime service is even available for it.