Not getting equal space back when deleting DVR recordings

billybgame

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Saginaw, MI
I've Googled this, and get zippo.....not even sure how I'd search for it here...but I've noticed for a long time, when I delete recordings....I admit only HD, as that's the portion of the DVR that's seemingly always strapped for space.....I get maybe 2/3 space returned....maybe less. In other words, for every hour show I watch and delete, I do not get an hour added back. Bad enough that the HD space is limited, but makes it tough when you aren't freeing up the same space you used.

What gives?

Basically the amount of space your receiver indicates is based on mpeg2 compression and HD is now using mpeg4 so your one hour program is not actually using one hour of indicated space. You are however getting back exactly the amount of space actually used by the recording when you delete it.

nOqcu is exactly correct. On the flip side, if you deleted an hour-long program you will most likely have room for a another 1 hour program even though your receiver says it only gained 40 minutes when you deleted the hour long program.
The last time I filled up my receiver with HD programs, I counted about 50 hours of programs shoved into a receiver that claims it has a 30 hour limit.

You don't say which receiver you have, but most HD DVR receivers allow you to connect an external hard drive and off-load programs to make room without having to delete them.

Does the hopper actually take the restoreable programs into account when calculating the time remaining? I thought it was like a home computer in that respect. Though that space is being used, it doesn't count it unless you actually restore a program.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts