Not impressed with Dish HD

Picture looks good to me

I just upgraded to Dish HD and I was expecting to be a bit dissappointed because I was worried about overcompression, but I must say I am very pleased. I am very critical of picture quality too (my standard Dish channels look like crap, even for SD). Most of my HD channels look phenominal, even when compared to OTA HD. Mostly it depends on the channel and which show is on at the time. Food network looks amazing. Even really old movies on the HD channels look awesome. Very little macro blocking, and usually I can't see any. I'm happy with my locals too. The presidential address tonight on Dish HD local WUSA 9 (broadcasting in 1080i) looked incredible, better than the other locals broadcasting in 720p. I'm digging the Dolby Digital on my surround system too. My TV is a 40" Sony Bravia 1080p LCD (model with the high contrast ratio.) Awesome TV. I'm so happy right now hehe!!

I just upgraded to Dish HD and I was expecting to be a bit dissappointed because I was worried about overcompression, but I must say I am very pleased. I am very critical of picture quality too (my standard Dish channels look like crap, even for SD). Most of my HD channels look phenominal, even when compared to OTA HD. Mostly it depends on the channel and which show is on at the time. Food network looks amazing. Even really old movies on the HD channels look awesome. Very little macro blocking, and usually I can't see any. I'm happy with my locals too. The presidential address tonight on Dish HD local WUSA 9 (broadcasting in 1080i) looked incredible, better than the other locals broadcasting in 720p. I'm digging the Dolby Digital on my surround system too. My TV is a 40" Sony Bravia 1080p LCD (model with the high contrast ratio.) Awesome TV. I'm so happy right now hehe!!

Very happy to hear it. I just got a second HDTV, (Olevia 32" LCD) And another 722, and I must say a lot depends on your set, as it looks much better than the already great picture on my 55" Mitsubishi Rear Projection. Oh, and :welcome to satelliteguys.us!

I did have Comcast and there HD looked better than dish. Comcast and dish both have some of the same HD channels so thats what i am comparing it to.

Is Dish just upscaling and calling it HD? :confused:

off topic but i signed a 18 month contract and got dish HD free for 6 months will i be required to keep the HD channels for 18 months?

but all in all i like Dish better than comcast.

I had C-cast & I have Dish HD now. They compress the signal a little, but I get an exc. picture on all of my HD chs. I have a DVR-722 and the picture & sound blow away C-cast's crummy sig. and sound.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts