not impressed with samsung bd1400

ipodbill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2005
missouri
when i purchased a toshiba hd dvd a2 from walmart, worked out of the box for hd content

i just received subject player and it wont play a blu ray disk, die hard 4.
regular dvd load fine. no where in the documentation indiates that u must ugrade frm ware before unit will read blu ray disk. im really disappointed in unit.

Its too late to return my BDP1200 and Im not happy either. I bought the Pirates 3 movie on release day and they still havent fixed it so I can watch it.
If it isnt too late for you.... return it. Its happened too many times with the samsungs.

i admit i have not, but when i have to search for solutions for a brand new out of the box unit, i wonder if its worth my time. i would think that samsung in this case would have done this for me. if i purchased a "beta" unit, samsung did not make this apparent. i dont know if i have the lastest firm ware. system info says this
s/w 070809.01_xaa
region A/01

i see there was an upgrade on 11/19/07 to 1.2. lol, no corolation at all. and they expect non tech people to plug this stuff in.

its unclear to me if a disk doesnt play, it cant tell you why.

yeah, one problem with the new formats is the fw update. Many have problems with newer discs.

It appears(from reading posts) that 1.2 fixes Die Hard and Spidey 3 issues. Id recommend updating to 1.2 before sending it back just to make sure. Are you familiar with the update process?

You need firmware 1.2. It's not the unit but the disc that has BD+ that causes problems. I had the 1400 for about a month and it has been great. You can go to the samsung site and get the firmware then burn an iso image to a disc and then insert in the player to update.

Active@ ISO Burner. Data CD DVD burning software. Write ISO image to CD,DVD,CD-RW,CDR,DVD-RW.

ISO Recorder v 2

Two iso burning programs

Here's the Samsung links:

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...8093354328_BD-P1400_Firmware_update_by_CD.pdf

http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...119121811156_Firmware_BDP1400_xaa_19NOV07.zip

It recommends Nero rom, but my 1000 never liked it. I used Iso Recorder and it worked fine. Problem was burn speed. Nero would only let me burn at a min of like 6x, for my 1000 to accept the cdr update i used iso record at a speed of 1x and it worked fine. They may have improved this with the 1400.

where do i find my firmware version on this unit? how do in know that i dont have latest? can i upgrade online? seen many posts about disk upgrades not working.

I did mine with a disc. Just go to the 1400 product page on Samsung's site & on the side is a downloads section that will get you there.

Just burn the latest disc, pop it in the player and it does all the work. It took 5-10 minutes. I didn't really pay attention, I just put in the disc & left the room. It was finished when I came back.

If you do it with the player's ethernet connection, you have to go through the player's setup menu and upgrade is in there somewhere.

As for the firmware notice, the software has a notice that says you may need to upgrade firmware for it to play. At least most of the movies I have all have a little note about it.

ill upgrade the firmware this afternoon, will try the b r disk after that. i am not a fan of technology when it it gets in my way. im not a big fan of sony/bmg anyway because of the root kit/copy protection technology that they placed on CD's.

I hear ya. It's a little annoying having to update firmware for any reason.

It's all worth it once you see the picture though. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts