Not sure what FTA receiver to buy , opinions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I got the Geosatpro about 9 months ago and my opinion is that it's incredibly quirky. I hope they do rework the stupid thing maybe I'll buy the upgrade. The picture and reception are good and I have a motorized dish which works well. But other things about it really suck. I just found out that when I program it to record a program through midnight it just stops at midnight. It looses about 1.5 minutes a day when on manual time and will not work right when I use the GMT time function. Try leaving town and record something with that, eh? At that's just the tip of the iceberg with this thing. I will say this, it beats paying $$$$ for the commercial satellite stuff. I get Montana, Oklahoma and Louisiana PBS (Ku band, 39" dish) , which is about all I'm interested in these days. So even with the quirks, it's worth it for me. I just wish it were a bit more reliable and user friendly. But for all I know, they are all like that.

I'm with you on agreeing that the MicroHD loses time when it's set to manual, even if it's left ON all the time and not allowed to go into suspend mode. However, I've used my two Micro's for around ~ two years, and I have NO issues with it stopping recording at midnight. I record Perry Mason every night from 11:30pm-12:30am on MEtv, and it never misses...

Reactions: Dee_Ann
I wouldn't 'write off' the 'uHD' so quick. Been said. by SatAV in other threads, that they are only 'out of stock' presently.
But will 'bet' the OP's S9 could be repaired with a simple capacitor replacement in the PS section.
If the OP elects to purchase new, send me the 'corpse', I'd like to do the autopsy.

Well, I did get on EBay and purchase the Amico Mini HD SE FRom gotCband. We have 2 Dreamboxes that have died . Can't remember exactly where the first One is at the moment ( it was zapped by a lightning strike), the 2 nd " just died". Are you offering to fix it for us? Or are you asking for the dead unit to attempt a fix for your own use?

I got the Geosatpro about 9 months ago and my opinion is that it's incredibly quirky. I hope they do rework the stupid thing maybe I'll buy the upgrade. The picture and reception are good and I have a motorized dish which works well. But other things about it really suck. I just found out that when I program it to record a program through midnight it just stops at midnight. It looses about 1.5 minutes a day when on manual time and will not work right when I use the GMT time function. Try leaving town and record something with that, eh? At that's just the tip of the iceberg with this thing. I will say this, it beats paying $$$$ for the commercial satellite stuff. I get Montana, Oklahoma and Louisiana PBS (Ku band, 39" dish) , which is about all I'm interested in these days. So even with the quirks, it's worth it for me. I just wish it were a bit more reliable and user friendly. But for all I know, they are all like that.

Do you have the latest firmware installed?

I asked here a few weeks ago what I should purchase for my first FTA setup - I'm a luthier and do basic electronics in my work - so installation isn't an issue with me. Purchasing the right equipment is. Currently I have a "Dish" network dish on the railing of my condo - I understand all I can use is the cable hookups - but the dish has to go. There is a ton of info out there and a ton of systems - what is best? The answer I got was the following:
Receiver: Coolsat 5000 (or 6000)
LNBF: Invacom QPH-031
DISH: Winegard DS-2076
I found all this stuff pretty cheap on e-bay - but I don't think the receiver is HD. I also want to be able to record shows and store them in the event I find something interesting. Opinions are very welcome. Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

That equipment list is for equipment that was popular in 2005. There has been a lot of changes since then. Her are my current equipment recommendations:
Receiver: Amiko mini HD SE (fasted ALI 600MHz chipset with DVR)
LNBF: Titanium PLL-1KS or GEOSATpro SL1PLL
Dish: GEOSATpro 90cm
Motor: STAB HH90 or DMSI SG6100

Thank you - I found my original post and this was mentioned - sorry for re-posting! I will purchase the above suggestions and then let you know how everything goes - again - thank you very much for helping.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

That equipment list is for equipment that was popular in 2005. There has been a lot of changes since then. Her are my current equipment recommendations:
Receiver: Amiko mini HD SE (fasted ALI 600MHz chipset with DVR)
LNBF: Titanium PLL-1KS or GEOSATpro SL1PLL
Dish: GEOSATpro 90cm
Motor: STAB HH90 or DMSI SG6100
And if he has some extra $100 for aditional features and performance, go with the Amiko A3 :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts