Not sure what to do.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Plywodstatebum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2004
A Secluded Beach In, Fl.
I have Cable and D*TV I'm thinking of switching to Dish Net. because they have the local channels "except CBS" so I'll have to keep basic cable for that,with my Internet Connection and the TV I pay over 200$ a month so I figure i can do this dish thing and cable for about 30 bucks less, the guy at dish net said i had to buy a HD Tuner for my new HDTV, and I'm not sure what to buy, I'm new to this HDTV I've tryed to read allot, but still dumb as a post.
I have a Denon AV Receiver and Mits, Speakers. TIVO and (don't know what I'll do with it, since it won't display HDTV and its paid for Life).
I'm getting the Hatachi 57F510 TV this week and need to know what else to buy .. Thanks

If your tivo is like my ReplayTV you can down res the HD onto the DVR. with E* you will be renting the DP811 for their HD (i dont think you can buy the DP811 retail). With D* you can buy the hardware, new or used. What is your zip? I have both and would really recommend D* over E*

I live in the Panhandle of Florida 32456, there is a Military Base between us and the Big City, so that messes up our TV receiption, and its 80 miles round trip to the Town. D*TV will never have local channels here. The sales lady for dish net will give us a DVD player, 5.1 surround sound system, DVR and free install for 4 boxes and the total package will be 87$ I'm paying 70 now for D*TV and just have HBO and Starz., well anyway what kind of HD Tuner do i need to buy?

Not 100% sure which E* DVR they will give you but the HD box should be the DP811 and I am almost 100% sure that you will have to go through their Digital Home package and that it is rental only. ASK VERY CAREFULLY & get everything in writing if they say you OWN anything.

Also be careful if you have to go through an installer, they can also have commitment rules and obligations; stay away from VMC Satellite!!

What locals do you qualify for from E* in Port St Joe? Pananma City? That will require a SuperDish instal and you should alsoget CBS, WB, and UPN distant feeds.

Yes they said I would get the Super Dish, but CBS comes to Port St. Joe Beach from Alabama so I guess it has something to do with that, Its a bummer too I have to keep basic cable just to get CBS, DO I Need a HD Tuner for the Sat. the guy at dish net said I did need a Tuner, what do i get?

OK, please re-read my comments. Yes, to get HD you have to have an HD box; which will be the DP811 which I also am 99% sure is a rental only option via their Digital Home plan. You do not need the HD box if you do not on watching any HD programs. You qualitfy for CBS via distant service so you will get that in SD & HD via satellite from your choice of time zone locations which are NYC, ATL, LA, and I think one other. You also qualify for the WB and UPN services, so you do not have to keep your cable unless you have to see your local CBS news. You will still get your local info from the other affiliates and still can get all your CBS network programming.

Thank You Thats all i needed to know, There was a full page ad in the newspaper today from Panama City, It dosen't list CBS either so I guess I just may have to do without CBS, so I have to see If they lease the 811 Tuner/Receiver, I guess I'll call them and see If they do, and pick up my TV wed. Thanks For all your Help..

Just a little addition

Just gettin my 2 cents in.

The hd811 is actually available through a purchase promo, Free-For-All, but its not offered much because dish likes the leased promo. Also, I don't know whether or not you're looking into it, but they do offer the hd921 which is a dual tuner, hd and dvr receiver. They just rolled out with the promo in which you can get it installed and you do own the rcvr for only $549 and only $999 if you want to bundle it with one of the tv's.

One other thing, what kind of wires do i need to get ? not sure what Circuit Chitty carries in the way of wiring for systems, I have a Big Screen hooked to my Surround Sound System will those wires be OK?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts