Not to beat a dead horse....Turbo HD Bronze

york4311

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 15, 2009
USA
I am a Turbo HD Bronze subscriber, and honestly, I'm getting a pretty good deal. I have 2 recievers (1 HD Dual, and 1 HD DVR Dual) feeding 2 HDTV and 2 SDTV. I have about 35 or so channels (including locals) and it sums up to 46.99 plus tax. Beats the crap out of Charter Communications!

But, I still feel some what cheated with the addition of the new channels in SD in classic bronze and the missing channels in Turbo HD Bronze. If they had placed Nick, MTV, VH1, etc... in Silver or Gold, I would have then thought...well, if I want them, then I need to shell out $10 or $20 to get them in the next Turbo HD Tier.

However, they placed them in classic bronze, and quite honestly, they should be available to Turbo HD Bronze then, and by that default, Silver and Gold as well.

I was told when I signed up that if any channels got added to classic bronze and there was an HD version of it, that I'd get it. Yet, this is NOT the case.

I think Dish really needs to either move them to an upper tier, or offer them as they should have been offered in the first place.

Apparently they don't feel this way, as I was told, if I wanted them, I need to get classic bronze with the bronze HD add-on. Sure, or I guess if I wanted them, I could also LEAVE DISH NETWORK and go with... D-TV.

Just do what I did and switch to the classic version of your package with HD. I fought the idea of doing that at first, but I feel pretty good about it now. Just remember that you are getting more than just 3 or 4 HD channels, you are getting some good SD channels too. In my case, Speed, FX, AMC, etc. Plus, they way things are going the classic subscribers will get the newest HD first in the future too.

I know that Dish charges when you "downgrade" more than once per year, but how do they count shifts between Classic and Turbo packages? For example, if you switched from classic gold to turbo gold, is that a downgrade? What if you go from turbo gold to classic silver w/hd (you would pay more for the silver package)? Does it only depend on price of the package? If you have turbo silver with platinum, and premiums, and then you switch to classic silver without those extras, is that a downgrade?...

I am getting confused about what I am asking now, but I think you get the gist...

The difference between an upgrade and a downgrade is the color of the metal. Classic Silver to Turbo Bronze is a downgrade. Turbo Silver to Classic Gold is an upgrade. Turbo Bronze to Classic Bronze is neither. Turbo Bronze is a better deal than the other high def packages and WAY better than cable companies offer. You get far more channels per dollar than I do, as a Turbo Gold plus Platinum...But we were both mislead.

The difference between an upgrade and a downgrade is the color of the metal. Classic Silver to Turbo Bronze is a downgrade. Turbo Silver to Classic Gold is an upgrade. Turbo Bronze to Classic Bronze is neither. Turbo Bronze is a better deal than the other high def packages and WAY better than cable companies offer. You get far more channels per dollar than I do, as a Turbo Gold plus Platinum...But we were both mislead.
Thanks for the info; and yes it does suck in terms of value. If it weren't for some carefully placed channels above Bronze, I wouldn't be above it either.

I just switched from Classic 200 to Turbo Bronze...the best move I have made while being with dish. Yes I paid a downgrade fee, but I am happy with the results. For my family the package offered what we watch at a lower price, plus HD!

I just switched from Classic 200 to Turbo Bronze...the best move I have made while being with dish. Yes I paid a downgrade fee, but I am happy with the results. For my family the package offered what we watch at a lower price, plus HD!

I applaud your thinking. If people would really ask themselves if they will actually watch a channel or not, there would be a lot less compalining. I would be just fine with Turbo Silver, but it's the Sirius music channels that keep me with Classic. Of all the new channels launched last week, I've only watched one.

the classic bronze + HD & locals covers about everything we watch on a regular basis. There were other channels we wanted, but figured we'd start there. Been fine, but the wife is thinking we need to add hbo & showtime :( Years ago we subbed the Everything Pack, went cable, but came back.

$60/mo isn't great, but not too bad. I just do not understand the DVR fee....

I agree with the OP. I have a similar setup myself feeding 2 HDTVs and 2 SDTVs with 2 722 DVRs. With the TurboHD Bronze DVR Advantage deal I'm at about $55 including taxes. I only miss G4 (for one show only), FX, and I hear a complaint about not having Hallmark and Lifetime MN occasionally. In reality there is plenty to watch on what I have and with DVRs I never watch live unless it's a sporting event. I usually go most of the summer catching up on the backlog of programs that I don't have time to watch when all the shows are cranking out new episodes. The addition of the 3 channels last week was just icing on the cake for me, but I understand why others are upset. Especially the Gold folks. I contacted the ceo myself just to get another complaint logged about not matching the turbo channels to the HD add on packages. I'm hoping the complaints will encourage them to add channels to all packages equally in the future. Like I said I feel my current deal is good considering I was paying Directv almost $90 per month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)