Note for those who want a classic Silver Sensor antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Trip

RabbitEars Webmaster
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Jun 21, 2008
Alexandria, VA, US
All,

Ever since Phillips stopped making the Silver Sensor, the only substitute available has been the Terk HDTVi, which is now also discontinued. However, all hope is not lost. Right now, Ali Express has a sale on knock-offs. Last year, I bought and tried this one:

Vidbox HD Digital TV Antenna For DVBT2 HDTV ISDBT ATSC 470 MHz 860MHz High Gain Strong Signal Outdoor TV Antenna-in TV Antenna from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Which works as well as my old Silver Sensor did. But since then, there's now this one:

Dlenp TV Antenna For DVBT2 HDTV For ISDBT ATSC HD Digital Antennas 470 MHz 860MHz High Gain Outdoor TV Antenna Strong Signal-in TV Antenna from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Look it up in their app and it's about 20 cents cheaper. I just ordered two of them.

Neither of these comes with a stand, so you'll have to make your own, like the one my father made for me:

Just in case it helps someone.

- Trip

Well, it certainly helps the Chinese company selling them! I’ll turn you in to Amazon.

;)
:oldwink

All,

Ever since Phillips stopped making the Silver Sensor, the only substitute available has been the Terk HDTVi, which is now also discontinued. However, all hope is not lost. Right now, Ali Express has a sale on knock-offs. Last year, I bought and tried this one:

Vidbox HD Digital TV Antenna For DVBT2 HDTV ISDBT ATSC 470 MHz 860MHz High Gain Strong Signal Outdoor TV Antenna-in TV Antenna from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Which works as well as my old Silver Sensor did. But since then, there's now this one:

Dlenp TV Antenna For DVBT2 HDTV For ISDBT ATSC HD Digital Antennas 470 MHz 860MHz High Gain Outdoor TV Antenna Strong Signal-in TV Antenna from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Look it up in their app and it's about 20 cents cheaper. I just ordered two of them.

Neither of these comes with a stand, so you'll have to make your own, like the one my father made for me:

Just in case it helps someone.

- Trip

Kinda cool and futuristic looking. What would you say the range is?

The "range" question is dependent on the station, of course, but I bought my first Silver Sensor in 2003. It was, as I understand it, the antenna used in testing UHF digital TV reception back in the 90s. I've found it to be among the best performing indoor antennas, and was my go-to recommendation until it was discontinued.

- Trip

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I have one of the originals that was distributed with some other device (perhaps a TV tuner card) and it is a surprisingly good antenna. It came with a rather lightweight plastic stand (similar to the one pictured on Amazon) that points the antenna noticeably above horizontal.

Nice classic antenna!! My old baby is now sitting in the garage just waiting for any on the road trip TV DXing fun:biggrin

Same goes for checking out other TV market other than my own Albuquerque's TV market.

But of course haven't been on the road lately though.

Makes you wonder what would be worth for this fine antenna in next 20 to 40 years from now on AR show on PBS!:clapping

Reactions: comfortably_numb
20180328_180945.jpg

My old Silver Sensor with a mod to help with channel 11.

Reactions: N5XZS and Trip