Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hey guys, as you can see we are working hard to build up SatelliteGuys into one of the Internets premiere online communities.

We are working on a few things behind the scenes, and while I can't go into what we are doing I will let you know that some of the things cost money.

I have been talking with our pub members who are financial supporters of the board, (we like using our Pub Members as a SatelliteGuys advisory council), and we have talked about funding options to help us pay for some of the things we are thinking about doing here at SatelliteGuys.

Instead of asking you guys for money we would rather be self supporting on these projects, and thus we have decided to run a 1 week test that will start next Monday.

So next Monday registered members will notice a set of Google Ads between the first and second message in most threads (and only between the first and second message... See the demo photo below) These Google Ads will be put in place so we can try raising some revenue for the board.

At the end of next week a poll will be placed online asking you if you mind the ads being placed there, we will also take a look at the stats to see if have those ads in place help us out at all. THE MEMBERS WILL DECIDE IF THEY STAY OR GO.

I should also note that the supporters of SatelliteGuys (our pub members) will NOT see these ads between the messages.

I really got to thank our pub members, as when I brought up this idea, they actually asked for me to turn on the ads so they could see what they would look like, and they found them non intrusive and gave us the go ahead to offer them to the general membership.

Once again this will be a week long test, and at the end of the test you the members will vote, the vote will be a simple yes or no vote, so there will be no question of the outcome, and what you decide is final. (Although I should note if the ads do not generate the revenue we expect we will remove them)

We have some big things in the works, and ultimately you the users will benefit. I do hope you will give this test honest consideration.

Thanks for your support! :)

That would help, wouldn't it. :D

Here you go. :)

Attachments

• idea.jpg
    idea.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 188
Thanks, Scott! I can live with that ad placement. Hope the ad revenue helps toward accomplishing the changes you want to make.

Because of the information recieved here, it has opened up a new hobby and saved me time and money to boot. I would like to donate to this board but not thru paypal. Can it be done thru snail mail?
thanks

Ok folks the test has started.

Once again on Friday I will be asking you if the new ads should stay or go, and I will honor your decission.

Please use this thread to leave feedback, and on Friday I will open things up for a final vote.

Thanks for your support!

If the ads help to pay for this forum, then they are worth the slight annoyance. I think I would prefer the ads to be placed at the top of the threads, rather than after the first post. This would keep all of the posts together, without interrupting the "flow" .

I think part of the point is to be more noticeable, by interrupting the flow. I agree, all the way at the top would be even less of a 'slight annoyance', but it could be detrimental to the income generated. People would simply get into the habit of clicking a thread then scrolling down immediately to get to the real content.

(shrug) If you put the ads someplace where they aren't noticed, then who would ever click them? And if no one clicks them, how would you get paid?

When I start sending money to support you, I'll have cause to complain about ads. Until then, this isn't very bad.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, it is very appreciated. :)

Keep it coming!

And remember you guys will have the power to vote on its demise (and if you vote to keep it, it does not necessarly mean it will remain.) :D

How about putting the ads on the side of the page. This way they would still be very noticable but not really in the way of the thread.

Tony S said:
I think I would prefer the ads to be placed at the top of the threads, rather than after the first post. This would keep all of the posts together, without interrupting the "flow" .
I agree with you. Now if it turns out to be that SatGuys can get more $$$ by placing the ads between the 1st & 2nd post, then I can live with it.

If this is for the good of this site, well let them be. If these ads look like the demo, they are not in the way at all. :up

TuxCoder said:
I think part of the point is to be more noticeable, by interrupting the flow. I agree, all the way at the top would be even less of a 'slight annoyance', but it could be detrimental to the income generated. People would simply get into the habit of clicking a thread then scrolling down immediately to get to the real content.
No matter where you put it, it will not take long for a regular user to ignore it. This test has only been up a short time and I already instictively scroll past the ad after the first post. I honestly do not believe that it would make that much difference in income if it was at the top rather than after the first post. However, to me it would improve the readability of the forum.

With all the money people have saved from the information provided here , i think we should all support this and vote for this. and i for one hate pop ups and ads but this is a free site that needs to generate some sort of revenue

Also remember, if it bothers you enough then it may be worth $5 (or even more!) to donate and rid yourself, once and for all, of the ads. :) Not to mention the other perks.

I kept seeing them and thinking "I know there are replies in this thread...". I don't like them right after the initial post, but otherwise, how will they show up ?? You can't put them after the 2nd or 3rd post 'til there is one.

I'll get used to 'em and if it really does help financially, it's *your* decision, not the people who visit the site. Regardless, I'll never click on any of 'em ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)