rang1995

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
Bergen co NJ
Analysis
EchoStar Could Boom With Voom
The satcaster's addition of 10 high-def channels should mean the addition of high-def subscribers.
By Phillip Swann

Washington, D.C. (May 2) -- Which TV provider now has the most national High-Definition TV channels?

You might think it's DIRECTV, which is running a series of commercials saying it's adding 1,500 HDTV channels. Or, perhaps Comcast or Time Warner, both of whom have also been aggressive in its HDTV marketing campaigns.

However, the answer is EchoStar's Dish Network.

Yes, EchoStar. The nation's second largest satellite TV service yesterday added 10 high-def channels from the ill-fated Voom satellite service, which closed Saturday night. With the Voom 10, EchoStar now offers 17 national HDTV channels (plus a HD version of CBS and a Pay-Per-View HD channel), which is more than anyone else.

(Comcast offers 15-19 HD channels in some markets, which includes nine national channels; the rest are locals and PBS feeds.)

Plus, EchoStar says it will add 11 more original high-def channels from Voom sometime next year.

Unlike DIRECTV and the cable operators, EchoStar now has the bandwidth to carry the extra Voom channels, thanks to its purchase of Voom's satellite from former parent Cablevision. (Cablevision last month decided to close Voom and sell its assets, including the service's primary satellite.) However, EchoStar's decision to add the Voom 10 is brilliant marketing. And, here's why:

1. DIRECTV's HDTV Service Is On Pause
DIRECTV last week launched the first of four satellites that will enable the satcaster to dramatically expand its High-Definition TV lineup. However, the first satellite will likely not be ready for at least 2-3 months, meaning that DIRECTV is unlikely to add any high-def channels until then. The TV provider has little room on its current satellites.

And even when the first new satellite is operational, DIRECTV has already committed to offering local high-def channels in 12 markets later this year. Consequently, the satcaster may not have the space to significantly expand its national HD lineup at that point. On HDTV, DIRECTV to now vulnerable to attack from EchoStar.

In addition, cable operators are also struggling to find room for more high-def channels. Comcast, for instance, recently added TNT HD in some cities -- but not all -- because of a lack of bandwidth.

So, for several months, EchoStar should be able to say it has the most national high-def channels in the nation. That boast could enable it to steal high-def owners from both DIRECTV and cable.

2. Voom's Audience Is Available
Despite offering nearly 40 HDTV channels in total, Voom signed up less than 50,000 subscribers in 18 months. So, you ask, how can EchoStar succeed with just 19 HDTV channels?

Easy. Many HDTV owners balked at subscribing to Voom because of its uncertain future. However, EchoStar, which has more than 11 million subscribers and nearly 10 years of experience, is solid as a rock. Any HDTV owner who considered subscribing to Voom will find EchoStar's new lineup - and reliable history -- very attractive.

With HDTVs now in more than 10 million U.S. homes, EchoStar would be wise to launch a national advertising campaign to reach this growing audience. Although EchoStar can not provide local HD -- a big obstacle, to be sure -- it can stress the national lineup and suggest that customers get an off-air antenna to get their local HD signals for free (if they have a high-def tuner.)

With the addition of the Voom 10, EchoStar says it's now the HDTV leader.

Many HDTV owners might agree.

..LOL...funny how they did not mention the "great deal" that was offered to former VOOMers and anyone else that might want to add E* hd package.....

Does anyone think that DISH programs will be available on the VOOM satellite...it is the only one I can receive due to tree line proximity. Voom was higher in the sly and almost due South !!
Jackwfire

jackwfire said:
Does anyone think that DISH programs will be available on the VOOM satellite...it is the only one I can receive due to tree line proximity. Voom was higher in the sly and almost due South !!
Jackwfire
No, and I think the plan is to move Rainbow-1 (61.5) back toward the center of the CONUS down the road.

When I canceled DirecTV they gave me this line about the "new satellite" and how they are going to have more HD but it seems to be bogus as far as the Southern Cal market is concerned. We already have local HD's. And when I mentioned that I wanted TNT for the NBA games there was no further argument. Charlie at E* has just broken into the lead for a while. Let's hope he can maintain that lead in HD in spite of himself.

mdonnelly said:
No, and I think the plan is to move Rainbow-1 (61.5) back toward the center of the CONUS down the road.

How does that work??? Space shuttle??

I too have a tree problem keeping me from getting anything but 61.5. I was hoping that they'd leave Rainbow 1 where it was and load it up with all the HD.

JimP said:
How does that work??? Space shuttle??

I too have a tree problem keeping me from getting anything but 61.5. I was hoping that they'd leave Rainbow 1 where it was and load it up with all the HD.

The same way as they put those orbits to their current positions.

The sat's have thrusters to adjust their position, and move them around if need be. They also have fuel storage to allow this to happen.

BrianMis said:
The sat's have thrusters to adjust their position, and move them around if need be. They also have fuel storage to allow this to happen.

Bah, you ruined my night class here... :(

Exactly as you said. :)

BrianMis said:
Yes but they go to great pains during launch to conserve fuel and extend the life of the satellite. Making an orbit change will shorten its lifespan. It will have far less fuel for future minor adjustments required to keep it in orbit.

BrianMis said:

Well, that's really cool. Wonder if Dish is planning on moving it.

Do single satellite do a good job covering the entire country? Is there any concensus that they're should be seperate satellites for east coast/west coast(splitting coverage) in order to get the signal strength's strong enough??

bkushner said:
Not to mention Dish has a DVR. Yippe, I can now finally record some of my favorite Voom channels.

I just installed a 921 :) :D But I sure wish I could record Vice, Kung Fu, Family and WorldSport. Hint Hint Hint :yes :yes :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts