Now I AM confused .... 1080p out of a 720p TV ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I actually see something different. My tv prefers me to use 1080i only from the DVR, even on 720p. Ive compared fox OTA and ESPNHD. Its strange, but all channels as 1080i from my box looks the best.

Forgot to add, I think my 720p issue is that the Panny's have a bit of overscan on 720p sources. I wonder if thats not why the 1080i from the hddvr looks better since the tv isnt zooming the 720p channels then.

I dunno, but we had guests over last night who hadn't been over in a while. They were amazed at the picture clarity.

I was not aware that DTV broadcasts in 1080i. Looking forward to some 1080p PPV's in the future.

UB. :)

Hehe .... yah .... since discovering I could get 1080i/p (sort-of) I've become a 1080i snob. I'm no longer satisfied with 720p. :rolleyes:

Sporting events you'll like better with 720p vs 1080i, but thats a whole other issue

I've read that .... 720p is better (due to the progressive signal) than 1080i for fast motion.

All I know is that this is all VERY cool and I'm diggin' it ! :D

UB. :)

Hehe .... yah .... since discovering I could get 1080i/p (sort-of) I've become a 1080i snob. I'm no longer satisfied with 720p. :rolleyes:

What's happening now is that your set is doing the ONLY conversion, and if your set is 720p, that is what you're seeing. You eliminated an extra "conversion" by your Sat/cable box. The less fiddling around, the cleaner your picture will look. Like I said before, I doubt that they use anything close to the "'state of the art" in those Sat/Cable boxes for the digital video chips. Enjoy your fine HD picture!:)

What's happening now is that your set is doing the ONLY conversion, and if your set is 720p, that is what you're seeing. You eliminated an extra "conversion" by your Sat/cable box. The less fiddling around, the cleaner your picture will look. Like I said before, I doubt that they use anything close to the "'state of the art" in those Sat/Cable boxes for the digital video chips. Enjoy your fine HD picture!:)

I most certainly am ... and will ! :D

OK, I'm spit ballin' here, but the reason this may be true could be that the scaler in your TV set is better than the one in the DirecTv box. When you consider the price you paid for your TV to your DVR, it's easy to see who was cutting costs on critical components. That's my explanation, and I'm sticking to it. This is a good reason to use native resolution on your Sat. box. Let your TV do the conversion work, the bad thing is the slower channel change speed. I'm not a big channel surfer, so it doesn't bother me.

Yup, that's my impression as well. I noticed that my HR22 does a mediocre job with deinterlacing the 480i channels to 480p or higher resolutions. Sending a native 480i signal to my Panny HDTV makes for a less jagged looking picture. Times have definitely changed -- just a few years ago, the prevailing wisdom was to let the external source handle the deinterlacing and upscaling because HDTVs generally came with mediocre video processors.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts