Now I know what's up there but...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
...is there anything good to watch in English? I care mostly about educational Discovery-like channels but I'd also like to be informed and to have at least one news-only (unbiased) channel.
What do you guys watch most of the time?

A receiver with AC3 digital audio output pointed at AMC-3 would let you pick up (and hear) the PBS channels, the BBC news is shown there at least once a day.

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc3.html

I watch mainly news feeds, IA-6 / G-11......

Educational? In addition to PBS on AMC3, try University of Washington TV and the Research Channel on G10R.

News? You could try the Ohio News Network on SBS6. They do spend a lot of time talking about Ohio, though.:)

If you can do without the pretty pictures, you can pick up CBC radio stations with a circular LNBF pointed at Nimiq 1. You can even get the audio of some of the Canadian TV stations.

How about feeds? Are they frequent or just occasional? Do they send just taped material or you can hear conversations too?
Is this list accurate:

112 CBS Newspath www Intelsat Americas 6
113 ABC News ABSAT www Intelsat Americas 6
114 Primedia Feed Galaxy 11
115 Bloomberg Feed AMC 3
116 INN Feed Galaxy 10R
117 NBC Feed AMC 9
118 NBC Feed AMC 9
119 NYN Feed AMC 5
120 NYN Feed AMC 5
121 FOX News Feed Intelsat Americas 6
122 FOX News Feed Intelsat Americas 6

What is CBS Newspath?
Gosh, so many questions, sorry.

Conjuror said:
How about feeds? Are they frequent or just occasional? Do they send just taped material or you can hear conversations too?
Is this list accurate:

112 CBS Newspath www Intelsat Americas 6
this has nat'l news stories
113 ABC News ABSAT www Intelsat Americas 6
same as CBS but for ABC :)
114 Primedia Feed Galaxy 11
115 Bloomberg Feed AMC 3
never seen anything on these
116 INN Feed Galaxy 10R
watch between 5-8 Central time. They have news broadcasts/clips/etc on there
117 NBC Feed AMC 9
118 NBC Feed AMC 9
there is lots of NBC news feeds depending on the day and time
119 NYN Feed AMC 5
120 NYN Feed AMC 5
never seen anything on these
121 FOX News Feed Intelsat Americas 6
122 FOX News Feed Intelsat Americas 6
used for Fox News remote feeds
What is CBS Newspath?
Gosh, so many questions, sorry.
CBS Newspath is what the CBS affiliates can grab the big news clips. On weekends, they will have numerous clips of ball games that the afiiliates can get, edit and show on their news.

My favourite was when Dan Rather would do the "coming up on the CBS Evening News" blurb and he would do it 15-20 times ending it with
"tonight on......"(fill in the station)
One time he was almost done and screwed up and says "damn it...I do 20 of these and I f*** the last one up" :D

That'be interesting to watch, I like that kind of stuff, unedited news. I guess I'm going FTA but still don't know which receiver to pick. Will Pansat 2700a do good? It seems inexpensive for what it does.

Conjuror said:
That'be interesting to watch, I like that kind of stuff, unedited news. I guess I'm going FTA but still don't know which receiver to pick. Will Pansat 2700a do good? It seems inexpensive for what it does.

I love the raw news feeds :)
best one so far.....during one of the hurricanes in Florida, a reporter was near the ocean waiting for her "on cue". Wind is blowing, rain is pouring down and she says...now I kid you not

"Damn it. I wish they would hurry up. My hair is turning into a mess"

um, lady? Its pouring rain during a hurricane and you are worried about your hair ?? :D

back on topic...yes a Pansat 2700 would do good. I have an older version (1500) and its a great little unit

Iceberg said:
I love the raw news feeds :)
best one so far.....during one of the hurricanes in Florida, a reporter was near the ocean waiting for her "on cue". Wind is blowing, rain is pouring down and she says...now I kid you not

"Damn it. I wish they would hurry up. My hair is turning into a mess"

um, lady? Its pouring rain during a hurricane and you are worried about your hair ?? :D

back on topic...yes a Pansat 2700 would do good. I have an older version (1500) and its a great little unit

Back off topic, :D

I saw a reporter during the same hurricanes say that it was so tough she was anchored down. Apparently the control room didn't believe her, so the cameraman pans down to reveal two *huge* sandbags tied to her right leg.

:D

You might want to try G10R
It has the research channel on it.
http://www.lyngsat.com/g10r.html

Also 91W using a DTV/Dish Network LNB has CBC redio and that has some good educational stuff on Sat.

Conjuror said:
...is there anything good to watch in English? I care mostly about educational Discovery-like channels but I'd also like to be informed and to have at least one news-only (unbiased) channel.
What do you guys watch most of the time?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)