OTHER What's this called?

ILoveSats

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2023
America
Dear Fellow Satellite Enthusiasts,

I hope this message finds you all well. A few weeks ago, I added two Channel Master dishes to my collection. One boasts a diameter of 1 meter, while the other, a Prime Star dish, is also a meter in diameter. Today, I had the opportunity to test the Prime Star dish, and to my astonishment, its performance was on par with my 90 CM Geosat Pro. It's truly remarkable to discover that this dish can be utilized for free-to-air reception. While I had come across mentions online hinting at its capabilities, experiencing it firsthand was genuinely gratifying.

On another note, I recently acquired a GT Media satellite finder from Amazon, priced around $50. I must say, it's been an invaluable addition to my toolkit. In the past, scanning for satellites meant lugging around a small television unit, my satellite receiver, and an electric cord running back into the house—a cumbersome process, to say the least. However, with the GT Media satellite finder, all I needed was that one compact unit. As I adjusted the elevation using the aforementioned screw, the finder quickly detected satellites, making the entire process smooth and efficient. Today alone, I managed to locate three satellites with ease, thanks in large part to the GT Media satellite finder and the elevation screw. Without this combination, I believe the task would have been far more time-consuming. For context, when I first delved into this hobby, it took me a full two weeks to locate Galaxy 19. It's heartening to see how far I've come since then.

However, I'm reaching out to our knowledgeable community with a query. Attached to this message is a photograph of a satellite dish mount. Highlighted in red, you'll notice a screw mechanism. When turned counterclockwise, the elevation of the dish increases, and when rotated clockwise, it decreases. I've been trying to ascertain if there's a specific term for this component and its function. My searches have been fruitless so far, so I'm hoping someone among you might shed some light on this.

I appreciate any insights or suggestions you can provide. Thank you for your continued support and camaraderie in our shared passion. Wishing you all a fantastic remainder of the weekend!

Warm regards

ILoveSats

Attachments

• IMG_0245.png
    IMG_0245.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0246.jpg
    IMG_0246.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 91
I'd really like to know the name for that 'single part' into which the screw tightens down the elation into place, while at the other end allowing the elevation adjustment screw to heighten/lower the elevation.

The part has these characteristics:
  1. Resembles a coupling nut but is not as long.
  2. Has internal threading on one end but not all the way through.
  3. Has a 90° hole drilled through the side, which is also threaded and allows the elevation adjutment screw to pass through.

Anyone know the name of this nut/coupling or whatever it is called?

I'd really like to know the name for that 'single part' into which the screw tightens down the elation into place, while at the other end allowing the elevation adjustment screw to heighten/lower the elevation.

The part has these characteristics:
  1. Resembles a coupling nut but is not as long.
  2. Has internal threading on one end but not all the way through.
  3. Has a 90° hole drilled through the side, which is also threaded and allows the elevation adjutment screw to pass through.

Anyone know the name of this nut/coupling or whatever it is called?

It is simply called the Elevation Adjusting Bolt by Channel Master. Sorry there is no other fancy name for it. ;) You can find a detailed picture of your mount on page 8 of the manual linked below. The manual is for type 900 (.9m), type 100 (1m) and type 120 (1.2m) Channel Master round dishes which use this mount as well. :)

It is simply called the Elevation Adjusting Bolt by Channel Master. Sorry there is no other fancy name for it. ;) You can find a detailed picture of your mount on page 8 of the manual linked below. The manual is for type 900 (.9m), type 100 (1m) and type 120 (1.2m) Channel Master round dishes which use this mount as well. :)

Thank you for providing the manual; it's invaluable for my 1m dish!

The name of the 'Elevation Adjustment Bolt' is not disputed. However, this bolt goes through a specific 'nut' or 'coupler'. I'm keen to know the official name of this part. Once the desired elevation is set, this unnamed component plays a crucial role in stabilizing the mount assembly. Additionally, there's a screw on the side of the elevation meter that tightens into this part, ensuring the assembly remains fixed in place. What is the name of that part?

Thank you for providing the manual; it's invaluable for my 1m dish!

The name of the 'Elevation Adjustment Bolt' is not disputed. However, this bolt goes through a specific 'nut' or 'coupler'. I'm keen to know the official name of this part. Once the desired elevation is set, this unnamed component plays a crucial role in stabilizing the mount assembly. Additionally, there's a screw on the side of the elevation meter that tightens into this part, ensuring the assembly remains fixed in place. What is the name of that part?

I can't take credit for the manual as it originally came from another member here but glad it will help you. If a part is not named in it then I really have no idea what Channel Master actually named it internally in their company - your guess is as good as mine. ;)

Well since it most probably is a Raven dish and mount. And the manuals for them illustrate the same nomenclature.
Call it what it is. One hell of a lot easier than nudging the elevation on partially tightened nuts. And since your mount doesn't have the azimuth fine adjustment screw. Well, you know. My repurposed Wildblue dish ka sat. dish mount does.
Raven_Dish_Fine_Adj.jpg

Attachments

• Raven.pdf
    685.8 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: FTA4PA
It's a dual purpose Elevation bolt and 'Elevation adjustment bolt' nut. But yes if the mount has these fine tuning adjusters then finding sats is mush easier. I found three in less than 26 minutes.