Now I remember why I hate adelphia

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
Had them for less than two weeks, get home, see a nice message on my screen. "Your EXPLORER settop is NOT AUTHORIZED for use."

So I call...according to the CSR, the computer that sends the authorization signals to all the boxes in my area is down. How the hell?!?!? WTF?!?!?! Don't they have some kind of backup system?

I can't even get OTA!!!!!!!!! Why, voom, WHY!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ok, so it's the next day and still the same thing. Now, last night after talking to the CSR, I called a friend of mine who lives down the street and also has adelphia. He said his cable was up just fine. I called adelphia back and let them know this and asked them to zap the box just to be sure. She told me that there's no need to since according to her info, the "box driver" is down in my area. Of course she couldn't explain why someone right next to me was working just fine, but wtf could I do? She had a script and dammit if she wasn't gonna stick to it with no deviations whatsoever.

My question is this: do cable boxes work like sat boxes in the sense that they sometimes need to be hit or zapped to refresh the subscription and activation information, or is this something that would constantly be in the signal?

lostcause said:
Ok, so it's the next day and still the same thing. Now, last night after talking to the CSR, I called a friend of mine who lives down the street and also has adelphia. He said his cable was up just fine. I called adelphia back and let them know this and asked them to zap the box just to be sure. She told me that there's no need to since according to her info, the "box driver" is down in my area. Of course she couldn't explain why someone right next to me was working just fine, but wtf could I do? She had a script and dammit if she wasn't gonna stick to it with no deviations whatsoever.

My question is this: do cable boxes work like sat boxes in the sense that they sometimes need to be hit or zapped to refresh the subscription and activation information, or is this something that would constantly be in the signal?
I have had Adelphia for two weeks and in that time I was down 2 days because somebody whacked a 192 strand fiber cable; also had another short outage with digital cable; and both INHDs get turned off when the blackout the area. I don't know why since I am 55 miles from DC and I though the blackout rule only applied for 35 miles out. Moot point since I sighed up with E* - have to have my VOOM.

I realize all cable companies have problems like this, but I am also aware that adelphia consistently ranks as the worst cable co. in the US, and they seem to have more of these problems than the rest of the companies. Kind of fitting that as much as I bitched about having to get adelphia, within 2 weeks of having them it's already dead. That and of course the problems I had getting them to turn on inHD.

So does anyone know if the boxes have to be zapped to reactivate them? If so, how do I convince the CSR to zap mine?

FWIW, it came back up yesterday but today it's down again with the same problem. This is ridiculous.

IS it me or is the PQ quality of Adelphia's HD channels absolutely TERRIBLE???? And....I can you believe that when the came to install my Adelphia...the HD DVR was old and had a DENT on the back....??!!! I had a cow...I called them back and DEMANDED NEW equipment or "send the intaller to take your old junk back....I am NOT paying a red cent for used equipment!!" So well will see....GOD I hope D* makes a move real soon.....

lol..well, in case you missed my other thread, here's my last post from it. They are absolutely unbelievably and utterly horrible!!!!!!!!

"For the love of god and all things sacred and holy, NOW WHAT THE F**K?!?!?!?!?!?

So I turn my tv on and now all of my HD locals are gone. Black screen on all of them. Had adelphia for less than 2 weeks and I've almost spent more time on the phone with their tech support than I have watching tv!!!

At this very moment I'm sacrificing chickens and a goats to the great condo commando gods and praying that they will vote to allow satellite dishes during the board meeting next week. Even if they approve it, I don't know what I'm going to do about dish requiring 2 dishes, but no matter what, I'm sure it can't be worse than adelphia. I had them several years ago. They were horrible back then and they have obviously not improved one single bit."

In the short time I've had them, I've had to call their support line 5 times. That's 5 problems in less than 2 weeks. The first 2 calls were because my cable was completely down for 2 days. The next one it was down another day. Then the box wouldn't pass dolby 5.1 to my audio receiver. Now my HD locals are completely out. Of course they couldn't fix it and just told me to wait a while.

Holy crap I hate this company. May the condo commandos have mercy on me and let me put up a dish of any kind!!!! Please, if anyone is reading this, kill a goat or two in my name and ask the gods to make my condo board vote to allow dishes.

Called my local Adelphia yesterday. Told them I was a former Voomer and a Adelphia internet customer. Wanted to get HD. After a year since I cancelled them, they still have not got the four major local networks covered in HD. THere website says locals in HD, but they provide two. THe price with DVR, HD pack, and HBO, was around $90. WOW, way to win me over Adelphia. GUess it's back to considering DIsh. WIsh the COmcast deal would start to kick in with them. THey've had all the HD locals for over a year.

We get about 22 channels on the Adelphia cable here. One HBO is all the premium you can purchase. Its all analog and no broadband available.

Stargazer said:
We get about 22 channels on the Adelphia cable here. One HBO is all the premium you can purchase. Its all analog and no broadband available.

Wow! Do you have electricity and indoor plumbing yet?

Lol yes of course. Where Charter is available in two towns 7 miles from me they have HD, digital, broadband, and all of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)