Now That DirecTV Has Raised Prices Again

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Robel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
I'm cutting back on programming so, I was wondering if it's possible to get the east coast network feeds only at a cheaper price. I currently get the national feeds and would drop the west coast programs if possible.

I've been a DirecTV customer since 1998, and am getting tired of the lack of programming yet, the constant price increases. I mean, how many shopping and church channels are enough?

Robel said:
I'm cutting back on programming so, I was wondering if it's possible to get the east coast network feeds only at a cheaper price. I currently get the national feeds and would drop the west coast programs if possible.

I've been a DirecTV customer since 1998, and am getting tired of the lack of programming yet, the constant price increases. I mean, how many shopping and church channels are enough?
If you are complaining about Directv's shopping and religious broadcasters you should try DISH network they have more of both and they raised their prices Feb. 1st a month earlier. You don't say what packages you are subscribing to but do some comparison shopping. Directv Para Todos scares people away because they think it means SPANISH but it really means programming bargins. The Opcion Ultra Especial did not go up March 1st it is still $39.99 and contains most of the channels in TC+. It is now $6 cheaper than TC+ and you still get over 130 ENGLISH channels. :) :) :)

2 price increases over the last 2 years but thats the only price increases in how many years...?

I'm sorry but for MPEG 4, active channels (*cough*februaryisover*cough*) and who knows what else, I'm willing to pay an extra $3 a month. Do yourself a favor and brownbag it to work one day a month and VOILA you just saved yourself the cost of the price increase for the month.

As for network feeds I'm not quite sure what you're asking for here. If you are talking about the East coast National feeds, I don't think that you get charged any extra for this. There's never been a charge for them on my bill anyways and I get a couple in HD too. Downgrading services should not change this unless you get a specific charge from D* for them.

The price increase are across the board for all companies. Cable companies raised their prices as well, but of course they keep quiet and folks continue to pay their bill each month.

Robel said:

Agreed, to a certain degree.

However:
  • DirecTV's rates have raised LESS than the rate of inflation
  • Content Providers keep upping their prices. DirecTV has to pay for the programming somehow.
  • The price increases have been, and still are, much lower than the rates at which cable has increased.

Robel said:

As someone who's transitioning from OTA to D*, all I can suggest is to cancel your satellite subs for awhile and try OTA.

You'll be screaming in a week :D

I'm surprised my wife hasn't killed me yet over this subject. Anyway, from what I've seen, considering equipment and subs costs, it's a pretty good value. Maybe my opinion will change in a couple of weeks ;)

Pat

boba said:
If you are complaining about Directv's shopping and religious broadcasters you should try DISH network they have more of both and they raised their prices Feb. 1st a month earlier. You don't say what packages you are subscribing to but do some comparison shopping. Directv Para Todos scares people away because they think it means SPANISH but it really means programming bargins. The Opcion Ultra Especial did not go up March 1st it is still $39.99 and contains most of the channels in TC+. It is now $6 cheaper than TC+ and you still get over 130 ENGLISH channels. :) :) :)

Is there a list or a side by side comparison of TC+ and D* Para Todos Opcion UE?

Would love to see which channels one has to give up.

DeaIhunter said:
What's the price now for basic directv with no extra pay channels?

IIRC, it's now 38.99 with no locals for Total Choice. The basic ParaTodos package can be less, if it fills your needs.

BTW, I saw a teaser on VE about getting 3 months of PremierChoice for free when activating on Total Choice Plus. For new customers only. If there's no catch, I think we'll try this, just to see what else is offered.

Pat

DeaIhunter said:
What's the price now for basic directv with no extra pay channels?
Opcion Extra $29.99, Opcion Ultra Especial $39.99, Total Choice $41.99, Total Choice Plus $45.99. :)

boba said:
If you are complaining about Directv's shopping and religious broadcasters you should try DISH network they have more of both and they raised their prices Feb. 1st a month earlier.:)

Check the lineups again, Direct has both more religious and shopping channels than Dish..

I get both east and west coast feeds of Fox, CBS, NBC, and ABC and it costs me 9.00 a month.

What I was wondering, is if it's possible to drop the west coast feeds, keeping only the east coast feeds for a lower price.

As for network feeds I'm not quite sure what you're asking for here. If you are talking about the East coast National feeds, I don't think that you get charged any extra for this. There's never been a charge for them on my bill anyways and I get a couple in HD too. Downgrading services should not change this unless you get a specific charge from D* for them.[/QUOTE]
:eek:

Chris Walker said:
Check the lineups again, Direct has both more religious and shopping channels than Dish..
By the latest channel lineup I downloaded from Directv's site they have 5 shopping channels. On DISH AT-60 I found at least 10 shopping channels. Religious channels are a little harder to define, is PAX a religious broadcaster or family entertainment, but I will stick with my statement that DISH has more. :)

If anyone is interested here are channels that you lose if moving to Para Todos Ultra Especial:

BBC
CNBC
ESPN Classic
Fox Movie Channel
Fuse
G4
Great Amer. Country
Lifetime Movies
WGN
TV One

The only channel you do pick up other than Spanish language channels and Spanish Music channels is GolTV.

I can't remember when I watched any of those channels last. Might be worth it to save a few bucks.

Excellent. Thanks Ed.

I switched to Opcion Extra Especial which is $33.99 a month without locals.

And to answer your question Robel. I receive the NY distant net feeds only and they charge me $1.50 each so you'll only save $3.00 per month.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts