NPRM for roof peak

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpiffWilkie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Memphis, TN
I'm purchasing a new home and was hoping to put a NPRM up for my 36" motorized dish. There aren't any good flat spots so I was looking at one for the roof peak. I've seen some mounts for roof peaks like this: Amazon.com: VMP PRM-2 Non-Penetrating Pitched Roof Mount (Grey): Camera & Photo@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416aSNWgkFL.@@AMEPARAM@@416aSNWgkFL.
Does anyone know of a solution like this that would support a larger dish? I have a feeling it wouldn't be cheap either. I have see a mount on Baird Satellites site but it's just a description and diagram with no price.

A friend told me he could fabricate one for $100-$150 so that might be the way I end up going unless someone has some other advice.

Thanks!

I'd strap together a couple of chunks of thick steel plate (to make sure that the mount clears the roof cap). I've used one of these on a classic tile roof where there was no practical way to otherwise anchor the foot.

Piling up a bunch of ballast (cinder blocks or pavers) at your roof peak is sick and wrong.

I'd strap together a couple of chunks of thick steel plate (to make sure that the mount clears the roof cap). I've used one of these on a classic tile roof where there was no practical way to otherwise anchor the foot.

Piling up a bunch of ballast (cinder blocks or pavers) at your roof peak is sick and wrong.

From an aesthetic POV, I'm not too worried. The peak is actually on an addition that is not visible from the front of the house.

I realize motorized dishes need the line of sight, but is roof mounting really necessary?

Up here in snow country, there's no way I would ever consider placing additional weight on my roof. I'm not a fan of roof mounted dishes to begin with. I like mine easily accessible.

In fact, I've noticed many recent DirecTv and Dish installs locally are on separate poles, not roof mounted as much anymore.

I am looking to do the same thing for a 1 - 1.2 m dish. I found this from Rohn: hxxp://www.rohnnet.com/rohn-nppk-mount which looks fairly sturdy, but the info on the site is a little sparse. I expect it might be a tad pricey, (but still cheaper than the lawsuits from cutting down my neighbours trees) !

I'm purchasing a new home and was hoping to put a NPRM up for my 36" motorized dish. There aren't any good flat spots so I was looking at one for the roof peak. I've seen some mounts for roof peaks like this: Amazon.com: VMP PRM-2 Non-Penetrating Pitched Roof Mount (Grey): Electronics.
Does anyone know of a solution like this that would support a larger dish? I have a feeling it wouldn't be cheap either. I have see a mount on Baird Satellites site but it's just a description and diagram with no price.

A friend told me he could fabricate one for $100-$150 so that might be the way I end up going unless someone has some other advice.

Thanks!

I realize motorized dishes need the line of sight, but is roof mounting really necessary?

Up here in snow country, there's no way I would ever consider placing additional weight on my roof. I'm not a fan of roof mounted dishes to begin with. I like mine easily accessible.

In fact, I've noticed many recent DirecTv and Dish installs locally are on separate poles, not roof mounted as much anymore.

I concur, if there is ANY OTHER WAY leave it off the roof.

Prodelin makes one that will hold a 1.2m Andrew (Channelmaster). Takes 16 blocks. Not an easy assembly procedure either. I've used them for commercial installs.

GL, Eric

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)